Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Ask a Somali/ I'm a Somali AMA Watch

ReputationRep:
    What it says on the tin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wonkyradiator)
    What it says on the tin.
    Why do you love eating rice and banana together?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annabelle-xx)
    Why do you love eating rice and banana together?
    Its just delicious! Have you tried it?

ReputationRep:
    Its just delicious! Have you tried it?

its the best but im not somali

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiamarni)
    its the best but im not somali
    Have you tried pasta and banana? *shudders*
    Some Somalis like it but for me its a no go!

ReputationRep:
    I'm non-Somali, would Somali parents accept me marrying their daughters?

*Muslim btw*

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried pasta and banana? *shudders*
    Some Somalis like it but for me its a no go!
    urgh no i cant its gross how do they do that o.o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonynous)

*Muslim btw*

im a somali and from my experience the thing that the parents mainly focus on is how religious they are? and whats their job?.

if you pass those two then it really doesn't matter what u r.
    because somali parents hate it when the daughters go after guys who dont pray and act like gangsters, they just flip out. so y'know thats that really.

btw am a muslim somali guy and my older sister married a Sudanese guy like that! and the whole community is cool with it.
    the tradition is changed and things are different so just go for it.
    hope i get reward 4 my advice!!

ReputationRep:

*Muslim btw*
    Well it depends on the family, for example my fathers sister is married to non Somali. And some of my friends are half Somali and a few of my parents friends are married to non Somalis. Personally, I wouldn't marry a non Somali. Not because I am racist or anything like that but because I would want my parents and his parents to get along with no language or cultural barriers. I hope you can kind of understand what I am getting at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f-ali)
    x
    x
    Thanks. Yeah, that's understandable.

ReputationRep:

*Muslim btw*
    To be really honest with you.. and this is only what I have observed as a Somali guy living with 6 sisters :eek: lol it's that we tend to care a awful lot about the status or reputation of the guy that wants to marry our women and most importantly 'who' they are, with that I mean the tribe they're from (sorry I couldn't come with a better word). Seriously if one isn't from the same province/area as the girl's family.. the likeliness of getting her hand is close to zero. if you're a non-somali, that my friend is a whole different conversation ofcourse I'm not a spokes person for all Somalis around the world but this is purely what I have understood. That said, there are some folks that are open to new spontaneous things, support the choices of their children and are generally quite liberal and bless their hearts I am personally very much fond of that but it is what it is. Good luck if you are still interested in Somali girls

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Yeah, that's understandable.
    But seriously, as long as you're a Muslim I wouldn't think there would be too many problems. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IDIOSYNCRASY.)
    To be really honest with you.. and this is only what I have observed as a Somali guy living with 6 sisters :eek: lol it's that we tend to care a awful lot about the status or reputation of the guy that wants to marry our women and most importantly 'who' they are, with that I mean the tribe they're from (sorry I couldn't come with a better word). Seriously if one isn't from the same province/area as the girl's family.. the likeliness of getting her hand is close to zero. if you're a non-somali, that my friend is a whole different conversation ofcourse I'm not a spokes person for all Somalis around the world but this is purely what I have understood. That said, there are some folks that are open to new spontaneous things, support the choices of their children and are generally quite liberal and bless their hearts I am personally very much fond of that but it is what it is. Good luck if you are still interested in Somali girls
    I have no racial preference, in all fairness. I just want to see where my options lie. I myself am Tanzanian/Omani and I'm not really intwined with even my own cultures, as I've grown up in London which is a multi-cultural society. I dislike this idea of racial segregation but then I suppose most of our parents are immigrants here and don't have that level of understanding so force their kids into the same mindset. I try not to judge those whom I feel are racist (to be blunt) but I mean.. it's unislamic in itself I would say.

ReputationRep:
    What it says on the tin.
    Interests?
    Currently studying?
    One thing you hate in your life/about life & why?
    One desire you would like to pursue and why?
    Where do you see yourself in 10 years time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IDIOSYNCRASY.)

Erm I'm Somali and I'm engaged to a non-somali 😊

ReputationRep:
    I have no racial preference, in all fairness. I just want to see where my options lie. I myself am Tanzanian/Omani and I'm not really intwined with even my own cultures, as I've grown up in London which is a multi-cultural society. I dislike this idea of racial segregation but then I suppose most of our parents are immigrants here and don't have that level of understanding so force their kids into the same mindset. I try not to judge those whom I feel are racist (to be blunt) but I mean.. it's unislamic in itself I would say.
    You hit the nail on the head when you said that our parents lack to understand diversity within society, it's something that is embedded within them which a simple conversation won't solve, their parents had this mindset and the parents before them. And I don't think their desire to hook their children with their own people isn't driven by racism, idk >D my dad is like this very old fashioned.. I guess it gives them some sort of relieve

ReputationRep:
    How many siblings do you have?

How old are you?

What's your qabeel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inachigeek21)
    Interests?
    Currently studying?
    One thing you hate in your life/about life & why?
    One desire you would like to pursue and why?
    Where do you see yourself in 10 years time?
    Currently learning how to code, should be interesting.
    Biology, chemistry & physics
    I don't think I hate anything about my life?
    I would love to go travelling,just to think there is so much for me to explore is great!
    I'm going to university next year to study biomedical science and I hope to have a job I look forward to going to in the morning .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StyleIcon)
    How many siblings do you have?

How old are you?

What's your qabeel?
    People always want to know how many siblings I've got! I've got 5 brothers and 1 sister.

I am 18

And I don't think that is really necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silentscar97)
    Dat u yh abti
    Awks, not male :/

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.