The Student Room Group

Biological Sciences at Cambridge, without maths A Level?

I am hoping to apply to Cambridge in the October of 2015, to do Natural Sciences. The subjects I am interested in would be almost entirely Biological, so, Biology of Cells etc.

I am currently taking my AS Levels - Bio, Chem, English Lit. and History (and Psychology over 2 years) and I am slowly becoming more and more concerned about my decision to not take AS Maths.

Even though the Biological side of the NatSci Tripos appears to not require a huge deal of complex maths, I am wondering whether or not I should have taken it after all. I got an A* in all three sciences at GCSE, an A* in Maths a year early, and then went on to achieve an A in IGCSE Further Maths, but felt that the AS was not for me, as I love my other subjects and really wanted to maintain a variety across my AS choices. According to some of my friends who did the IGCSE and now take AS Maths, the syllabus is actually very similar!

Overall, I would really like to find out how much of a disadvantage I am at, in terms of application, considering my lack of AS Maths. So, if anybody who is studying Biological Sciences or similar (at Cambridge or anywhere else) could offer their advice, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you very much!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi. I'm not in university yet however I also hope to study Biological sciences at Cambridge and I have researched the subject quite a bit. They do have an elementary Maths for biologists option which only requires a gcse Maths qualification so I think you should be fine. I really don't want to do Maths but I'm taking to As level just to be on the safe side. I doubt you're at a disadvantage though. Just focus on getting good grades in your current subjects :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Meloddymaybe
I am hoping to apply to Cambridge in the October of 2015, to do Natural Sciences. The subjects I am interested in would be almost entirely Biological, so, Biology of Cells etc.

I am currently taking my AS Levels - Bio, Chem, English Lit. and History (and Psychology over 2 years) and I am slowly becoming more and more concerned about my decision to not take AS Maths.

Even though the Biological side of the NatSci Tripos appears to not require a huge deal of complex maths, I am wondering whether or not I should have taken it after all. I got an A* in all three sciences at GCSE, an A* in Maths a year early, and then went on to achieve an A in IGCSE Further Maths, but felt that the AS was not for me, as I love my other subjects and really wanted to maintain a variety across my AS choices. According to some of my friends who did the IGCSE and now take AS Maths, the syllabus is actually very similar!

Overall, I would really like to find out how much of a disadvantage I am at, in terms of application, considering my lack of AS Maths. So, if anybody who is studying Biological Sciences or similar (at Cambridge or anywhere else) could offer their advice, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you very much!

From when I remember looking at the course there was an option for biologists to study biological maths only requiring gcse maths, so I think you should be fine. AS maths isn't that hard if you've got the aptitude, you could easily take it as an extra AS if you're that worried.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Do A Level maths if you can, some colleges already require it for NatSci and I know that some others are considering making it a requirement (only one out of the 37 NatScis at Homerton take EMB). Plus, it's easy and will look good for any university.
I'm studying NatSci at Cambridge - and the Bio options don't require A level Maths, so you should be ok - however you are only offering two science subjects which would be more of a concern (basically, your subject choices only just meet the entrance requirements). There is a Maths option in first year aimed at people without A level Maths, and if you are only studying Bio subjects you won't need much complicated Maths knowledge.

However, if you have the opportunity to pick up AS/ A level Maths next year I would recommend it - it would keep more options open for modules at Cambridge/ make the Maths option easier/ keep other university options open. Also, as you said, the syllabus isn't much harder than your IGCSE Further Maths - so it wouldn't be much more work.
I think I will take AS Maths next year, just to be on the safe side. Thank you for your replies!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending