Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Not sure if I should get a tattoo Watch

ReputationRep:
    Essentially, I'm thinking about getting lyrics from the song "The Parting Glass" tattoo'd on my chest. My girlfriend of about a month (So really early days) has said that while she's not sure about tattoos in general, she'd be okay with it.
    Specifically, I think I want to get the following words:

"And all the harm that e'er I've done
    Alas! It was to none but me"

I'm 21 years old, and the reason I'm thinking of even doing this is because no matter what I do in life, anything I ever do that might even slightly hurt someone else always seem to come back to me. For instance, I recently had a presentation at uni, where I was trying to sell myself above another student to a client for an environmental consultancy client (I study biology), and she ended up losing the contract. Since then, the client has pulled out due to their own issues and I'm left without. Similar things have been happening for several years, and I think that such a tattoo would serve as a reminder to never screw anyone over.

That said, I have no idea if it's worth it. Looking for advice, TSR. What do we all think?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it then. Wait til you're sure! I waited four years to get my tattoo, and whilst you don't need to wait that long you're clearly not ready yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Don't do it then. Wait til you're sure! I waited four years to get my tattoo, and whilst you don't need to wait that long you're clearly not ready yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the quick reply!
    I hear what you're saying, and it makes sense- what did you get, if you don't mind me asking?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marky--mark)
    Thanks for the quick reply!
    I hear what you're saying, and it makes sense- what did you get, if you don't mind me asking?
    If you look on my profile you can see pics. I have lyrics from These Days.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why do you need a tattoo to express this :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolasinac138)
    Why do you need a tattoo to express this :confused:
    I guess to serve as a permanent reminder to not be crappy to other prople. The above example is by no means the worst I've been, and a physical, permanent reminder to keep reminding myself to be a better person couldn't hurt.

ReputationRep:
    I have 12 tattoos and I don't get them unless I'm 100% sure about it. If you're unsure DON'T GET IT, if you want it in a few months or whatever then get it, it's there for life and removal hurts WAY MORE than getting the actual tattoo.

ReputationRep:
    If you aren't sure about whether or not to have a significant length of text permanently engraved into your flesh I would suggest you probably shouldn't.

As a side note, I've always found tattoos utterly moronic as a way of 'expressing' yourself. What utter tosh. How are you expressing yourself by getting a tattoo?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birkenhead)
    If you aren't sure about whether or not to have a significant length of text permanently engraved into your flesh I would suggest you probably shouldn't.

As a side note, I've always found tattoos utterly moronic as a way of 'expressing' yourself. What utter tosh. How are you expressing yourself by getting a tattoo?
    It's really not about "expressing myself"- while I wouldn't consider that completely invalid, it's really not why I'd want a tattoo. The only reason I'd want this one, as I said above, is to remind me to be a better person. I wish I did'nt need the reminder, but I really think I need something.

That said, it would appear that the advice that I'm getting would be to at least pause before I do this. I think I'll leave it until I'm sure one way or the other.

ReputationRep:
    No. Especially not non-artistic tattoos such as this. Why do you need to write down a phrase like that on your flesh? That's why you have a brain to remember these things you know?

Sorry for the blunt reply, I really don't like tattoos despite my father's obsession with them >_>

ReputationRep:
    It's really not about "expressing myself"- while I wouldn't consider that completely invalid, it's really not why I'd want a tattoo. The only reason I'd want this one, as I said above, is to remind me to be a better person. I wish I did'nt need the reminder, but I really think I need something.

That said, it would appear that the advice that I'm getting would be to at least pause before I do this. I think I'll leave it until I'm sure one way or the other.
    I see - so you're getting a tattoo to remind you to be a decent human being. Are you a cyborg or a sociopath, devoid of conscience? And before you make decisions, will you pause and look under your shirt to remind you to not treat people badly?

Do you seriously think you need a tattoo to remember this, or that by having one it will make any difference on the way you live? I don't mean to sound too rude but it's all so ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Don't. I hate tattoos though, so can't really be objective.

ReputationRep:
    I see - so you're getting a tattoo to remind you to be a decent human being. Are you a cyborg or a sociopath, devoid of conscience? And before you make decisions, will you pause and look under your shirt to remind you to not treat people badly?

Do you seriously think you need a tattoo to remember this, or that by having one it will make any difference on the way you live? I don't mean to sound too rude but it's all so ridiculous.
    I get that those questions were supposed to be rhetorical, but I have in fact suffered from mental health issues in the past that have given me pause when I've thought about the issue of whether or not I'm sociopathic. I've finally settled on thinking that I'm not, but I have caused serious hurt to people in the past. I'm the anon in this post: ​http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2881839

ReputationRep:
    I get that those questions were supposed to be rhetorical, but I have in fact suffered from mental health issues in the past that have given me pause when I've thought about the issue of whether or not I'm sociopathic. I've finally settled on thinking that I'm not, but I have caused serious hurt to people in the past. I'm the anon in this post: ​http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2881839
    You are not a sociopath then, but someone who has occasionally caused people pain like most of the rest of the human race. Getting a tattoo is not going to have an impact on the way you lead your life. It seems as if you are trying to justify or add depth to something that in reality is as superficial as it gets - skin deep, and let's face it, pretty tacky.

ReputationRep:
    You are not a sociopath then, but someone who has occasionally caused people pain like most of the rest of the human race. Getting a tattoo is not going to have an impact on the way you lead your life. It seems as if you are trying to justify or add depth to something that in reality is as superficial as it gets - skin deep, and let's face it, pretty tacky.
    Like I've said, I'm not 'trying' to do anything. I'm looking to take advice, and it looks like TSR has made it's stance pretty clear. I'll wait until I know what I want on me- be it anything or nothing- before I give tattoos another thought.

ReputationRep:
    Get a temporary/semi-permanent tattoo of your desired pattern before you get the real thing done.

You can probably go to a tattoo parlour and have them apply a temporary tattoo. Take it for a test drive, give it a few weeks, if you feel you're ready for a permanent tattoo, go for it. If not, no harm done

ReputationRep:
    If you want to improve yourself in some sense, getting poisonous ink engraved into the delicate skin of the human body probably doesn't go a long way in helping you.

ReputationRep:
    As a general rule, never get writing. Quotes and people lose significance.

But, for what it's worth, I got my tattoo nearly a year ago on a drunken whim in Amsterdam and have not regretted it at all. So you know. Impulsive tattoos can sometimes work out.

ReputationRep:

Surely people can express themselves in whichever way they see fit, provided they aren't causing significant harm to others? Anyway, to me, getting tattooed is a simple matter of making my body on the outside, look more like how I want to on the inside, I have both arms done already, pretty much the entirety of the rest of my body I know what I want to look like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolasinac138)
    If you want to improve yourself in some sense, getting poisonous ink engraved into the delicate skin of the human body probably doesn't go a long way in helping you.
    What exactly is the point of that comment?

@OP, if you want to get a tattoo, go ahead, it really isn't a big deal. As others have said though, make sure you are happy with everything, cover ups and removals are available but are far more expensive and painful than not doing something you'll regret in the first place.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.