Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Not sure if I should get a tattoo Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marky--mark)
    It's really not about "expressing myself"- while I wouldn't consider that completely invalid, it's really not why I'd want a tattoo. The only reason I'd want this one, as I said above, is to remind me to be a better person. I wish I did'nt need the reminder, but I really think I need something.

That said, it would appear that the advice that I'm getting would be to at least pause before I do this. I think I'll leave it until I'm sure one way or the other.
    But, from what you've said, you only want to not screw people over because it tends to backfire on you, which id actually kinda selfish

It's also an inaccurate quote for you, as you have caused harm to both other people and yourself.

Not convinced it conveys what you want it to, but I guess it depends on your interpretation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    Surely people can express themselves in whichever way they see fit, provided they aren't causing significant harm to others?
    I'm not suggesting he isn't at liberty to get a tattoo to express himself, I'm questioning how a tattoo will help him do so.

Anyway, to me, getting tattooed is a simple matter of making my body on the outside, look more like how I want to on the inside
    Would it not be more meaningful to change your actual personality rather than trying to become a superficial visual representation of what you'd like to be? If you really cared about these little meanings and reminders, wouldn't you just try to adopt them into your character, as opposed to slapping a visual representation onto your skin? Could it be that you are more attracted to the fashion accessory that a tattoo is than that you genuinely care to any great degree about whatever meanings you claim they have?

What if your opinions change, which they probably will over the course of your lifetime, and you are left with permanent scars that no longer apply in 10 years and have instead started to break apart unattractively as your skin ages?

This is why people like me find tattoos tacky and foolish.

ReputationRep:
    IMO there's more chance of regretting a text tattoo than a graphic. The chest is also an odd place for text - if you put it right way up so that other people can read it, it'll always either be upside down or mirror writing for you, you'll be the one person in the whole world who never reads it properly. but you say that you want to read it to remind yourself to treat people better.

also generally song lyrics seem a bit lame out of the context of the rest of the song and without the music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birkenhead)
    I'm not suggesting he isn't at liberty to get a tattoo to express himself, I'm questioning how a tattoo will help him do so.

Would it not be more meaningful to change your actual personality rather than trying to become a superficial visual representation of what you'd like to be? If you really cared about these little meanings and reminders, wouldn't you just try to adopt them into your character, as opposed to slapping a visual representation onto your skin? Could it be that you are more attracted to the fashion accessory that a tattoo is than that you genuinely care to any great degree about whatever meanings you claim they have?

What if your opinions change, which they probably will over the course of your lifetime, and you are left with permanent scars that no longer apply in 10 years and have instead started to break apart unattractively as your skin ages?

This is why people like me find tattoos tacky and foolish.
    And I am questioning whether that is your judgement to make.

Firstly, I tried pretending that my personality matched with my outward appearance before, it was boring and made me, frankly, pretty unhappy. It's not about about meaningless platitudes to remind me of things, it's is as I said before about being the person who I want to be, these things are already part of my character, just now that is reflected in the way I look.

Frankly I don't care very much if you find tattoos tacky and foolish, that's your opinion and your entitled to it. To me however they are a very important part of my life and I would prefer if i wasn't discriminated against because of that.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.