Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Black applicant here, are there any black barbers in Durham?. CoolioBombastic needs to - No has to look fresh and needs a haircut once a week (afro hair needs regular maintenance and cut). I realise that this is stupid question considering the fact that Durham county is 99.9% white and there would only be a black barbershop if there were sizeable black population. So my next question is how far is Newcastle from Durham on train?.

ReputationRep:
    There aren't any in Durham that I know of. There are a few in Newcastle, and it's 15 minutes by train.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolioBombastic)
    Black applicant here, are there any black barbers in Durham?. CoolioBombastic needs to - No has to look fresh and needs a haircut once a week (afro hair needs regular maintenance and cut). I realise that this is stupid question considering the fact that Durham county is 99.9% white and there would only be a black barbershop if there were sizeable black population. So my next question is how far is Newcastle from Durham on train?.
    There are none in Durham, altho there's a turkish barber which recently opened with one of the guys there being able to pull off a half decent A/C haircut. I'd stick to London/wherever you live to be safe tho.

Newcastle is 10-15 mins by train, and a return ticket costs under a fiver if I remember correctly. Although there's probs a black barber shop there, I personally wasn't able to find one (for guys).

ReputationRep:
    Hello Coolio

It's indeed Newcastle for minorities orientated hairdressing.
    ...yup- dead quick/frequent trains Durham-Newcastle.
    Movement between one's college and the station= less great: its the opp end of the town to the Varsity.
    ie its north west

The answer is twofold-
    a bicycle, and
    go to a Peninsular college (mid town)/or Hilde-Bede (north east town) (rather than a Hill Coll= southerly)

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone experienced any racism at Durham? I'm an applicant for this year and tbh moving from the south to the north I really don't want to feel isolated.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2015
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.