Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi, i'm trying to decide whether to apply to york uni. i love the city and go quite often to shop and a few drinks, but i've never been on a proper night out there so i wondered what the nightlife is like? i do like quirky little pubs and bars, my favourite music is rock and alternative/indie, with a little bit of dance. are there any clubs to suit me? also, is the campus far from the city centre or is it quick to get there and back?
    another thing, i really like going to gigs and the only place i really know of in york for gigs in fibbers so i dont know whether i would be better somewhere like leeds. if anyone already at york who is into goin to see good live bands could let me know whether the city is a good place to be for it or not i would appreciate any advice. thanks

ReputationRep:
    Remember that Leeds is only 30 minutes away.

ReputationRep:
    £3.50 return with a railcard, if I remember correctly...
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    The Lunatic Fringe society arranges alt/indie nights both in York and Leeds, as I recall.

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys. do students at york often go to leeds for a night out?

ReputationRep:
    In my experience, no, which is why I think you need to take these comments about Leeds with a pinch of salt really - I only ever went twice during 2 years at York.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've only ever been down there for specific events rather than just a night out, it helps to know the place if you plan on going there regularly.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    I'm not sure how late the trains run up north here, but chances are your typical night out will want to last beyond the last train home.

ReputationRep:
    I'm told you can get the train back at 1am or 3am.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, or 6am if you miss both of them. Requires being drunk enough to pass out at Leeds train station in sub-zero temperature.

ReputationRep:
    Is there anywhere in York that plays Dance/Trance/House type music? The main 3 only seem to do chart and cheese.

ReputationRep:
    You could try gallery at weekends maybe, in certain rooms maybe.

ReputationRep:
    So what is there in York?

Im from sheffield and love the cheap n cheesy nights here, is there anything similar in york?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Oh, there's plenty of cheese. You'll never be short of it.

ReputationRep:
    i ended up choosing leeds when deciding between leeds and york. it is quite easy to have a regular night out in leeds if you live in york, i know a lot of people who did it. based purely on nightlife though, i think leeds is a better option. club/bar/pub/music wise there is far more variety. i'm planning to do my masters in york because it is much quieter!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.