Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    We are discouraged from writing any negativities but at the same time encouraged to be honest about it? What?
    So, basically, I am a drop-out. Drop-out is bad. I was going to explain the situation that I had and be honest about it but I see multiples of advice that I shouldn't write down any negativity...

ReputationRep:
    One thing I can do is to have my referee mention the situation although I would like the admin tutors hear my voice...

ReputationRep:
    It's a trap. You're right they don't want to hear anything negative. No-one outside of your circle of trust does tbh. Even the circle of trust are only putting up with it. With a PS or a job interview if you haven't got over it then they don't want to hear about it. They want to hear how you've overcome it. If you haven't overcome it don't mention it. Example: you don't have depression you got over depression. Remember ongoing problems are a liability, liabilities are bad, people lose money from liabilities. Do not expect anybody to sympathise with you if you admit to something which may make you abnormal as being unmanaged, not under control. People don't mind the Other when it's controlled but uncontrolled it scares them and confirms all the bogeyman stories about it, whatever it is. Same for trauma, sob stories. The only people who will sympathise with you unconditionally are the ones who have experienced it or witnessed a loved on experience it. I feel you man. It's a trap.

Admit that you deferred for a year while getting some additional life experience.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your input Smash,
    I just want to note that the reason for the Higher Education, university, drop-out was me being an immature human-being that simply wanted to study XXX in hopes of getting high-paying jobs with absolutely no motivation behind.
    I'm much more mature now and have realised what I want for myself and the reasons for wanting to study YYY course.

I think you had the different idea of my possible background.
    What do you reckon now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeyqs)
    Thanks for your input Smash,
    I just want to note that the reason for the Higher Education, university, drop-out was me being an immature human-being that simply wanted to study XXX in hopes of getting high-paying jobs with absolutely no motivation behind.
    I'm much more mature now and have realised what I want for myself and the reasons for wanting to study YYY course.

I think you had the different idea of my possible background.
    What do you reckon now?
    I reckon you absolutely must not put that first bit down on your PS! :P

ReputationRep:
    If I were you, I wouldn't look to hide the issue. I personally would put something like:

"After taking some time out of education, I returned in *date* with a known direction to my academic studies. My developed maturity has enabled me to understand where my strengths and abilities lie, which in turn has ensured that I may reach my full potential from my current A-levels of *insert subjects*"

Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    It will need to go in your Education section. Get your refereev to explain it and then you can focus on why this course rather than why not your previous course

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 27, 2014
Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.