Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I learn Spanish in my own time, I have always wanted to learn a new language and I love the culture in lots of Spanish countries. I'm no where near perfect, and there are probably only a few topics I could talk to someone about (but I haven't been learning for very long). Anyway, I was thinking of doing GCSE Spanish at the end of the year (if my college lets me), or if not I would do the AS exams at the end of next year. I don't want to do it so that I can have loads of GCSE and A-Level qualifications, but I was looking up DELE exams (the Spanish exams) and it can cost over £100 to sit them while my college would let me do GCSE/A-Level for free. What level (A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2) would GCSE, AS and A2 be on the CEFR scale?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_...ference_levels

ReputationRep:
    I think an A* in A2 Spanish is around B2 on the scale. Maybe B1+.

I'd say AS is meant to be B1 but in reality, I don't think so. High A2 probably. GCSE low A2, maybe A1+.

I think a discrepancy exists in what they should equate to and what they actually do.

Just take the online tests to gauge your level

ReputationRep:
    According to Wikipedia a good A level grade should equate to B2 level, but I do not agree at all! I came straight from A levels to a language school in France, and despite a solid B grade at A level I was tested at half way through A2 level on the CEFR. My super clever friend (who is now at Oxford!) was still only tested one level higher than me, and another student who took a year out after completing her first year of uni was only tested at B1 level.

But I don't think that you can accurately compare the two systems. A level gets you at a good written standard but does not prepare you orally at all. After my A levels I could get the jist of anything going on in the newspaper, but couldn't even understand much in a basic conversation. Whereas I feel the CEFR prepares you more equally in reading, writing, speaking and listening. The sylabus is also different and different topics are covered at different times.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.