The Student Room Group

Driving test in two days!

Hey, ive got my driving test on Monday and im starting to become a little nervous.

I cant seem to remember the Show Me Tell Me answers and its getting me panicky..

Does anyone have any good general tips for the test and any tips about how to remember the answers for the questions. A lot of people have said "oh dont worry about them its only one minor anyway" but it will make you look bad right if you cant answer them.. doesnt exactly give the examiner a good impression of you does it?

any tips will be very appreciated! im so nervous! :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Shae_28
A lot of people have said "oh dont worry about them its only one minor anyway" but it will make you look bad right if you cant answer them.. doesnt exactly give the examiner a good impression of you does it?
That's exactly right. The majority of candidates who are useless at the questions tend to fail elsewhere because they just haven't been prepared well enough for much else. Someone's performance in those first minutes is usually an indicator of their performance on the rest of the test.

Assuming you don't have any further lessons before your test, ask a experienced driver (parent or friend) to show you around their car and provide you with their vehicle handbook. Ask them to demonstrate to you (not just talk) how they would check their tyre pressures and fluid levels - even if this means a visit to a petrol station to use the pump there.

The problem with a lot of instructors is that they simply talk a lot, which goes in one ear and out of another. Showing you something means that you may remember, but involving you means that you will understand. Now that you have had a demonstration in a real situation, repeat the whole demonstration yourself. For tyre pressures, look up the recommended pressure in the car's handbook. Don't just talk about doing it, actually do it. Find the actual PSI / bar number. Then remove the valve caps yourself and use a real pressure gauge (not just a talked about one) to check all the tyres including the spare.

This is just one example, but there are more questions and answers to understand. Go through everything with your friend, asking them to demonstrate, then repeating everything in practice yourself. Learn layout of lights, wipers, horn, demisters, fog lights, main beam, etc. until you're comfortable. With each light setting (best done off road so as not to annoy other motorists), don't just sit in the car talking about it, activate the switch yourself and walk outside the car to see exactly which light has come on, where, and how bright it is. Do it, and you'll understand.

All of this will take you the best part of a couple of hours. You will get your hands dirty. Make a day of it. This is the preparation that a good driving instructor should have done with you, but sadly, many don't bother. Some don't even have a clue how to open a bonnet without their instructor's help. This preparation is what gives you confidence. Confidence comes with knowledge.

This confidence is the secret to combating nerves on the day of the test. You wouldn't get so nervous if the examiner asked you to make a cup of tea, would you? This is because everybody knows how to make a cup of tea as they've done it so many times, it's almost second nature. Yet when asked to switch on a rear fog light, many fall to pieces as their instructor has never shown them, or them simply talked briefly about it many moons ago and it was all forgotten. Once nerves kick in, you start to doubt the other things that you might not know how to handle on the drive, because you've got it wrong more times than you've got it right. Preparation and consolidation is the key to success.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
I couldn't remember mine either, on my first test ( I failed ) i didn't answer one of the question because I just panicked. Then before my second i was watching YouTube videos and I found them very useful. There is even Show me, Tell me questions that are specifically for the car that you learn with. So I would recommend that you can use some YouTube videos....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shae_28
Hey, ive got my driving test on Monday and im starting to become a little nervous.

I cant seem to remember the Show Me Tell Me answers and its getting me panicky..

Does anyone have any good general tips for the test and any tips about how to remember the answers for the questions. A lot of people have said "oh dont worry about them its only one minor anyway" but it will make you look bad right if you cant answer them.. doesnt exactly give the examiner a good impression of you does it?

any tips will be very appreciated! im so nervous! :confused:

Good luck!!
For me I just read the questions over and over again and did all of the show me ones so I could practise doing it to make it stick in my head.

General tips:
- Make your obvervations really obvious by moving your head
- Don't forget blind spot checks
- don't hesititate too much at roundabouts, but don't worry if you sit at the roundabout for a bit waiting for a safe spot
- when turning right (especially when it is busy), don't go if you cannot be 100% sure that no-one is already coming (especially speeding cars), so if you can't see because of traffic opposite you waiting to turn left, don't go
- obvious one but keep your distance from parked cars and cars infront of you

Can't think of any more atm, but stay as calm as you can :smile: let us know how it goes tomorrow! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
Good luck!!
For me I just read the questions over and over again and did all of the show me ones so I could practise doing it to make it stick in my head.

General tips:
- Make your obvervations really obvious by moving your head
- Don't forget blind spot checks
- don't hesititate too much at roundabouts, but don't worry if you sit at the roundabout for a bit waiting for a safe spot
- when turning right (especially when it is busy), don't go if you cannot be 100% sure that no-one is already coming (especially speeding cars), so if you can't see because of traffic opposite you waiting to turn left, don't go
- obvious one but keep your distance from parked cars and cars infront of you

Can't think of any more atm, but stay as calm as you can :smile: let us know how it goes tomorrow! :biggrin:

Thank you! im just going to keep an open mind and not get my hopes up too much. Tbh if i fail it will most likely be because of my observations, i need to exaggerate them more but i do have a two hour lesson before my test tomorrow so hopefully i can just straighten all my rocky edges in time for the test :smile:
Original post by Shae_28
Thank you! im just going to keep an open mind and not get my hopes up too much. Tbh if i fail it will most likely be because of my observations, i need to exaggerate them more but i do have a two hour lesson before my test tomorrow so hopefully i can just straighten all my rocky edges in time for the test :smile:

That 2 hour lesson should help :smile:
yeah don't get your hopes too high, if you do and you fail it is heartbreaking :frown:
Original post by Shae_28
x

Sooooo, it's Monday! (Unless you have a late time?) Did you pass? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Sooooo, it's Monday! (Unless you have a late time?) Did you pass? :smile:

I failed, got 3 minors but he got me to pull into a small side street which was full of parked cars and as i pulled unto the street a car decided to come speeding down at like 50mph which caused me to stop sharply so i didnt hit a parked car or go into him. The examiner gave a a serious for it so it caused me to fail. Oh well.

On the upside i got the questions correct! haha
Original post by Shae_28
I failed, got 3 minors but he got me to pull into a small side street which was full of parked cars and as i pulled unto the street a car decided to come speeding down at like 50mph which caused me to stop sharply so i didnt hit a parked car or go into him. The examiner gave a a serious for it so it caused me to fail. Oh well.

You did well to only get 3 minors so well done for that :smile:

That speeding car was unlucky though, I've been failed twice because of those damn people who can't keep to the speed limit :shakecane:
Reply 9
You did well to only get 3 minors so well done for that :smile:

That speeding car was unlucky though, I've been failed twice because of those damn people who can't keep to the speed limit :shakecane:

Exactly! if he would of been going 30mph id of had time to see him and make a reasonable decision on stopping. But ive rebooked in for Feb anyway so ill just see how that one goes. Hopefully second time lucky! :rolleyes:
Original post by Shae_28
Exactly! if he would of been going 30mph id of had time to see him and make a reasonable decision on stopping. But ive rebooked in for Feb anyway so ill just see how that one goes. Hopefully second time lucky! :rolleyes:

It is SO annoying isn't it?! I was crying for hours after both :colondollar:
Are you planning on taking lessons from now till Feb or just a few before your test?
Reply 11
It is SO annoying isn't it?! I was crying for hours after both :colondollar:
Are you planning on taking lessons from now till Feb or just a few before your test?

I had a little cry once i got into my room and no one was around and then straightened myself up and made out like i wasnt fussed to everyone haha :smile: and just a few before i just cant afford them and i dont think i need them.. i think OTHERS do! :biggrin: lmao
Original post by Shae_28
I had a little cry once i got into my room and no one was around and then straightened myself up and made out like i wasnt fussed to everyone haha :smile: and just a few before i just cant afford them and i dont think i need them.. i think OTHERS do! :biggrin: lmao

I did that the first time, then when I failed because of the speeding cars I cried infront of the examiner haha :colondollar: Maybe it would make them feel sorry for me if they ever tested me again? lol

Sounds like a good plan :smile: yeah loads of drivers defo need lessons again but we shall just have to deal with them when we pass :biggrin:
When is your test in Feb? Mine is on the 17th, hopefully we will both pass
Reply 13
awww!!! haha guessing it didnt work? :wink:

Mines on the 13th. Im going to keep checking for cancellations anyway just in case :smile:
Original post by Shae_28
awww!!! haha guessing it didnt work? :wink:

Mines on the 13th. Im going to keep checking for cancellations anyway just in case :smile:

I haven't had the same one :tongue: Had 3 different ones, all who I now dislike haha
Damn you got one earlier than me, but mine had to fit in with my uni timetable :tongue:
Original post by Shae_28

Ahhh sorry to hear but technically, you didn't fail. You just weren't ready yet. 4 or 5 more lessons then rebook it straight away, or better yet, rebook it now because the earliest available is mid February. Don't cry about it anymore, wipe those tears away. It'll only make things worse, chin up and get ready for next time. :smile:

All the best x
Don't be disheartened, I've had 4 tests so far, I have another booked for the 2nd (my 21st B-day). ALL test's I've consistently got 2 serious (all different on every test). I've had 4 instructors so far and all have said I'm more than ready. I've been driving privately for 3 years now and have drove all over the country but still no luck.

My last test - the examiner was a really nice guy. When we got back to the T/C he said to me you've failed and explained that it was because of my observations at a specific roundabout we went on. The weird thing was the minute we stopped back at the test centre his exact words were "your observations were perfect, but I'm failing you for your observations", literally they were his words. Funny thing was, the roundabout in question was because I changed lane, the whole roundabout was empty and I looked all round before indicating and moving over, I even said to the examiner before I moved over "looks clear to me" he responded with "I agree".... Confusing or what!!?? Anyhow, it's massively down to luck so chin up.

Has anyone done their test in Durham?
Reply 17
Original post by jamesmpollard
Don't be disheartened, I've had 4 tests so far, I have another booked for the 2nd (my 21st B-day). ALL test's I've consistently got 2 serious (all different on every test). I've had 4 instructors so far and all have said I'm more than ready. I've been driving privately for 3 years now and have drove all over the country but still no luck.

My last test - the examiner was a really nice guy. When we got back to the T/C he said to me you've failed and explained that it was because of my observations at a specific roundabout we went on. The weird thing was the minute we stopped back at the test centre his exact words were "your observations were perfect, but I'm failing you for your observations", literally they were his words. Funny thing was, the roundabout in question was because I changed lane, the whole roundabout was empty and I looked all round before indicating and moving over, I even said to the examiner before I moved over "looks clear to me" he responded with "I agree".... Confusing or what!!?? Anyhow, it's massively down to luck so chin up.

Has anyone done their test in Durham?

DAMN! id have been so angry if that was me! especially when he agreed and then failed you for it! what a nonce! :eek:

Im not anywhere from Durham so im not sure what its like there, im hoping my second one goes better. The examiner that i had was the one that tested all the driving instructors to make sure their up to scratch too so maybe he just marks a little harshly (i like to think that was the case anyway haha)

Ive been driving with a private instructor for 2 and a half years now, i was supposed to take my test back in October but i managed to be silly and break my heel bone the end of September so i was in cast until November. and it took me until mid December to start walking fully without crutches. The amount of money ive spent on driving lessons is just crazy!

But let me know how your test goes! im still looking on the site trying to see if anyone has cancelled so i can get in earlier :smile:
Original post by Shae_28
DAMN! id have been so angry if that was me! especially when he agreed and then failed you for it! what a nonce! :eek:

Im not anywhere from Durham so im not sure what its like there, im hoping my second one goes better. The examiner that i had was the one that tested all the driving instructors to make sure their up to scratch too so maybe he just marks a little harshly (i like to think that was the case anyway haha)

Ive been driving with a private instructor for 2 and a half years now, i was supposed to take my test back in October but i managed to be silly and break my heel bone the end of September so i was in cast until November. and it took me until mid December to start walking fully without crutches. The amount of money ive spent on driving lessons is just crazy!

But let me know how your test goes! im still looking on the site trying to see if anyone has cancelled so i can get in earlier :smile:

Right? lol. I was but I was in such utter shock that he had contradicted himself in such an obvious way that I had no words to throw at him lol. Plus, I don't know why but for some reason you could just see his his facial expression that he didn't want to fail me and he looked guilty as if he had to for some other reason but he knew I should have passed. I don't have much luck with tests, the test before that the examiner was an a**, when he failed me he said "I'm failing you because you didn't stop when there was a stop sign at a junction" I said to him what junction and when he told me, I just said to him first of all I did stop and second of all there wasn't a stop sign anyway and he said that apparently I didn't stop and the sign was hidden in the bushes. I sat there and was like.... I'm sorry I thought I was on a driving test, not playing a game of hide and seek!! But what can you do aye.

I'm sure it will, with 2 1/2 years experience I'm very sure your ready! But your more than likely right about the examiner being too harsh, if they are ADI examiners (the ones who test ADI's like you mentioned) they are usually very, very strict! So guess that was just bad luck for you, but even if you get him for your second go, I'm sure you'll be fine, he'll see your determined and have listened to what he said and worked on it.

Ah bummer, life always finds a way to mess everyone up doesn't it lol. I'm with you there, I've spent well over £2K now. It's just ridiculous. Might go to Poland or Bulgaria and get a license there, then just exchange it :wink: haha.

Let me know how your next test goes. The booking system DVSA use is available 6am - 11pm so I was recommended to check 3 times a day, morning, afternoon and evening for cancellations. Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by jamesmpollard
Right? lol. I was but I was in such utter shock that he had contradicted himself in such an obvious way that I had no words to throw at him lol. Plus, I don't know why but for some reason you could just see his his facial expression that he didn't want to fail me and he looked guilty as if he had to for some other reason but he knew I should have passed. I don't have much luck with tests, the test before that the examiner was an a**, when he failed me he said "I'm failing you because you didn't stop when there was a stop sign at a junction" I said to him what junction and when he told me, I just said to him first of all I did stop and second of all there wasn't a stop sign anyway and he said that apparently I didn't stop and the sign was hidden in the bushes. I sat there and was like.... I'm sorry I thought I was on a driving test, not playing a game of hide and seek!! But what can you do aye.

I'm sure it will, with 2 1/2 years experience I'm very sure your ready! But your more than likely right about the examiner being too harsh, if they are ADI examiners (the ones who test ADI's like you mentioned) they are usually very, very strict! So guess that was just bad luck for you, but even if you get him for your second go, I'm sure you'll be fine, he'll see your determined and have listened to what he said and worked on it.

Ah bummer, life always finds a way to mess everyone up doesn't it lol. I'm with you there, I've spent well over £2K now. It's just ridiculous. Might go to Poland or Bulgaria and get a license there, then just exchange it :wink: haha.

Let me know how your next test goes. The booking system DVSA use is available 6am - 11pm so I was recommended to check 3 times a day, morning, afternoon and evening for cancellations. Hope that helps :smile:

I think he should of let it slide and passed you because he contradicted himself and said at the time it was ok.

And i hope i dont get him next time, ive LITERALLY just checked online and found an earlier slot for 12th jan at 11am so ill be doing mine then! Ill let you know how it goes! yours is the 2nd right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending