Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It depends on where you live, and rentals in share houses. It's not going to be easy but you'll get better at it. Talk to your mates and see what is about, see how much they budget for food etc.

Re; your mum, yes it is sad, but you can't dwell on it. Stand up for yourself and be an adult!

ReputationRep:
    Have you got your student loan ?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi...093359151,9441,

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't know what it is, but after my parents split when I was in my teens (early 20s now), my mother has just never been there for me.

She is incredibly selfish and cries poor ALL the time so that she doesn't have to support me at uni.

This year I had to move back home to complete the rest of my degree (unfortunately my lucky sister lives with dad :\ ) b/c it was too hard and my own mother wouldn't spare a cent for me.

The most she can give me is a room in her house, but lately whenever I'm there, she views me with contempt and distrust, telling me I'm lazy (even tho I'm doing an extremely difficult course at uni) b/c I'm not working.

Last night she stormed into my room when I was doing homework asking me why I put a teatowel in a bucket in the laundry, and I'm like 'WTF??' and this argument went on for two hours which ended in me breaking stuff.

The other day she threatened to remove the phone line because I only paid 3/4 of the phone bill, not the full amount but I told her she uses the phone too!!! Jeez, and she was like 'oh I've only used it once or twice, I have a mobile' and I'm like 'bull****!'.

Omg. !

I can't take this anymore. Help. What should I do?
    I have a mother like that, she was nice before my parents split up when I was thirteen. I'm still living at home and she makes me pay rent. I am aiming to move out asap, cos nothing I ever do is right, like if I clean the house she wants to know what I must have done wrong to make it need cleaning. To be honest I try and keep out of her way, I spend as much time out of the house as possible, even though I'm sure I have some rights as I pay rent! But she cries poor alot and I'm not even aloud to use the phone let alone pay the bill!
    So know how you're feeling annonomous! Hang in there xxx
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I think the divorce has hit your Mother hard, i think she needs to seek some sort of help.

ReputationRep:
    O.M.G

(Original post by grace)
    you need to be slapped. you are in your twenties, mooching off your mother and complaining that she has a problem with you not helping with the bills or laundry?! get over yourself and get some respect. and don't play this 'boofreakinhoo i'm a student i have no money' card on me; i don't have a student loan, didn't have a penny of savings when i started uni, or an overdraft, or any help from my parents. i fully support myself whilst at uni and my parents make me pay rent as well as do chores etc if i come home for holidays. yet i still get damn good grades, whilst respecting my parents at the same time. stop acting like a child, if you don't like the fact that your mother isn't prepared to carry on breastfeeding you then leave. simple.
    Rep for that! Jesus OP, 20 and moaning because your mum won't pay anything towards living expenses... i'm 18 and aren't getting any money towards uni simply because they can't afford it so i don't expect it, and i'm doing just fine! Living in halls granted, but running a car as well.

Stop moaning and get packing if its that much of an issue...

ReputationRep:
    post here

ReputationRep:
    People pay rent in their family home?

That is the most STUPID f***ing thing I have ever heard. Do they charge relatives who come to stay? My parents would not even entertain the possibility of me paying for anything, including petrol for my car, food, bills etc. while I am there. My laundry is taken out of my room and returned the next day, I cook a meal a week for everyone and they will go on a special trip to the shops to get any food I need. I don't treat it like a hotel but I am treated like a guest.

Money being tight is absolutely no excuse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Bear)

That is the most STUPID f***ing thing I have ever heard. Do they charge relatives who come to stay? My parents would not even entertain the possibility of me paying for anything, including petrol for my car, food, bills etc. while I am there.
    :ditto:

but since my parents work is and allways has been more important than spending time with me i feel entitled to a small share of the wealth generated by all that overtime.

ReputationRep:

That is the most STUPID f***ing thing I have ever heard. Do they charge relatives who come to stay? My parents would not even entertain the possibility of me paying for anything, including petrol for my car, food, bills etc. while I am there. My laundry is taken out of my room and returned the next day, I cook a meal a week for everyone and they will go on a special trip to the shops to get any food I need. I don't treat it like a hotel but I am treated like a guest.

It's called board and it's quite common. If I am old enough to work, then I am old enough to pay my way for food, bills etc. You're quite lucky to have what you have.

ReputationRep:

Lucky you...

I also pay housekeeping (well, did when i was at home), i wanted to drive? Had to pay that myself, car and insurance as well. Petrol... yep, pay for that as well. Started diving all under my own steam as well, and i've managed just fine,

Someone i know is very similar to you, and he said he got the shock of his life when he moved out, having never really appreciated the value of money etc.

Can i just ask, what exactly do you mean 'Money being tight is no excuse'? That even if you are from a poor family, they should still treat you like a king or something?

ReputationRep:
    Quite frankly, once you've got a job i think you should contribute to the house your staying in, even if its just doing housework, getting some food in or giving board.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lofty)
    O.M.G

Rep for that! Jesus OP, 20 and moaning because your mum won't pay anything towards living expenses... i'm 18 and aren't getting any money towards uni simply because they can't afford it so i don't expect it, and i'm doing just fine! Living in halls granted, but running a car as well.

Stop moaning and get packing if its that much of an issue...
    Not a rep worthy post! Considering the OP isnt really asking for handouts, she just wants a bit of moral support from her mum, which to be honest is perfectly normal !

My mum has been there for me since my folks got a rather messy divorce, which we are still feeling the effects of - moneywise, but there are times when she just seems to demand far too much of me. I have one brother living at home and one who moved out.

The one that stays at home doesnt do a blind thing to help with housework, or getting the shopping, even talking the dogs for walks, i even decorated the ground floor of the house for her on my own! It always falls down to me and if it doesnt get done i get roared at while little brother fails his AS levels for the 2nd time.

Anyway, thats just me ranting lol .

Maybe you should try and live with your dad for a while, take a break from each other (you and your mum) then when things have calmed down talk to her about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheekynibbler)
    Not a rep worthy post!
    I'll decide that thanks...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Truetrue - just that if its a post that doesnt really relate to the problem at hand its not entirely constructive!

But hey, your rep

ReputationRep:

I think you're very lucky, and may be in for a shock when you move out. Why is it unreasonable for parents to charge rent? If you're living out then you will have to pay for it, why shouldn't your parents be treated as a private landlord?

My parents had a sensible policy on it, I think. They said I wouldn't have to pay rent if I lived at home, but I would have to contribute to food etc and get no allowance. Which is fair enough. I live in halls at uni and although my parents put aside for mine and my brother's fees and residence bills, my living costs (food etc) and going out expenses come out of my pay from work. This seems like the fairest way to do it, as it means I don't have to work in term time, and I have to manage my money if I want to eat.

For the 'find a job!' lobby, it's not always as easy as that. A lot of places won't give you hours that conveniently fit in with your lectures. And a lot of universities don't like students to have jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't know what it is, but after my parents split when I was in my teens (early 20s now), my mother has just never been there for me.

She is incredibly selfish and cries poor ALL the time so that she doesn't have to support me at uni.

This year I had to move back home to complete the rest of my degree (unfortunately my lucky sister lives with dad :\ ) b/c it was too hard and my own mother wouldn't spare a cent for me.

The most she can give me is a room in her house, but lately whenever I'm there, she views me with contempt and distrust, telling me I'm lazy (even tho I'm doing an extremely difficult course at uni) b/c I'm not working.

Last night she stormed into my room when I was doing homework asking me why I put a teatowel in a bucket in the laundry, and I'm like 'WTF??' and this argument went on for two hours which ended in me breaking stuff.
    The other day she threatened to remove the phone line because I only paid 3/4 of the phone bill, not the full amount but I told her she uses the phone too!!! Jeez, and she was like 'oh I've only used it once or twice, I have a mobile' and I'm like 'bull****!'.

Omg. !

I can't take this anymore. Help. What should I do?
    Yep, because you sound really mature, and worthy of her respect..

Can't you ask your dad for help? If your sister is living with him, then presumably he would be happy to try and support you too?

ReputationRep:

Haha. Good luck in the real world.
    And if peoples' parents are in low paying jobs, or like my parents, made redundant, or any other situation where money becomes an issue, why the hell shouldn't they ask for a small amount of rent from people who are old enough to go out and get jobs?

ReputationRep:
    *is reassured by the sensible people who pull their weight*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Segat1)
    *is reassured by the sensible people who pull their weight*
    if you have to pull your wieght then whats the up side of living with your parents? i mean your sacrificing your personal space, the ability to throw parties or invite a partner round. if you still have to pay rent, bills, as well as doing the cooking and cleaning then i see no piont in living with your parents.

ReputationRep:
    By the way I am in the real world. I pay for my own TV license, I pay my own council tax, I pay for my food, I pay for everything in MY house. My parents pay for everything in THEIR house.

I've been moved out for years now, it wasn't a shock in the slightest and I value money just as much as the next person.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 21, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.