Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=

Also, someone posted about attending a uni that doesn't encourage working during term time.

I am highly academic, and this is the type of university I go to. It's hard working, studying and supporting myself at the same time, and I do pay rent, so I'm certainly not spoiled. I feel hard done by, I guess, but thanks to the helpful posts on this thread I know it can't be that bad to live out of home.[/QUOTE]

Can I point out that I specificlly said Oxford and Cambridge ban students from working. However I know people there that do work - bar work and working in the Union shops, cafe etc. most of them seem quite able to support themselves. If you are a Oxbridge student then you clearly have the ability to stand on your own 2 feet.

this is the type of university I go to

What do you mean type?? Every university involves varing degrees of work. Correct me If im wrong, but I dont think you have experience of the Oxbridge workload/experience from your posts. The only similar type of university I can think of is Trinity, Dublin with the colligiate system.

It's hard working, studying and supporting myself at the same time, and I do pay rent,

Can I point out that many people doing many different courses at different Unis seem to cope with this. You seem to imply that this part of uni life is a extra burden placed solely on you. Many people still play sport, socilise and go on to attain 1st and 2i degrees, frankly your argumant is weak, you are at uni - maybe its time to grow up?

Wangers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_red_sox)
    Spoilt brat.
    Lifes dealt you a bum hand and you're taking your frustration out on others. That's my uneducated psychological evaluation. Miserable *****.

ReputationRep:
    to be fair I think red - sox was justified in making that comment - the op made a assumption - without basis.....making a ass of herslef, she had no right to judge. Trust me - when your mum starts drinking and acting wierd you would get rather sensitive about it too.

And please can we keep this polite, if you make a rude comment at least have the guts to claim it instead of hiding under the anon feature.

Wangers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    Lifes dealt you a bum hand and you're taking your frustration out on others. That's my uneducated psychological evaluation. Miserable *****.
    ;sorry;

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_red_sox)
    ;sorry;
    Stop being sarcastic and neg me already. Come on, you know you want to . Give in to your desires.

ReputationRep:
    Why would I neg you? For giving your opinion? I don't give negs anyway :P

Originally posted by Grace
    you need to be slapped.
    I think you need to be slapped. You make it sound as though she's some mid-twenties layabout, when she's actually still at uni, so her age isn't a valid argument against her. She says her course is demanding so if she doesn't have time for a job then how about actually believing her, and she pays 3/4 of the phone bill when her mother uses it too. How is that selfish? I accept that some parents can't support their children at uni, but it is no reason for those people to attack someone just because their parent can but won't. Not everyone has to be thrown out on to the streets at 16 or whatever just because you believe they should. She is willing to move out anyway, so what's the issue?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 21, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.