Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dimebag)
    I reckon this is the logical progression that moralistic vegetarians should reach. Why stop with animals? Seems sensible to me, if you take that stance. I just don't mind having animals killed so I can eat them.
    But a plant doesn't have a nervous system, so it can't feel pain...

ReputationRep:
    I suppose this would be good for people who would perhaps want to be vegetarians but don't like veggies I don't like vegetables so have never considered becoming a vegetarian, but I could become a fruitarian......if I could resist chicken :eating:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kew)
    But a plant doesn't have a nervous system, so it can't feel pain...
    Not that we know of.....The Secret Life of Plants tried to suggest they could.

ReputationRep:
    I do admire fruitarians, however, you would be extremley malnourished if you became a fruitarian, as they do not get many of the essential vitamins which their bodies need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guitargirl03)
    I do admire fruitarians, however, you would be extremley malnourished if you became a fruitarian, as they do not get many of the essential vitamins which their bodies need.
    Rubbish...with a variety of fruits you can get all essential vitamins in your system Check out the website from the OP; this page in particular

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalimyr)
    Rubbish...with a variety of fruits you can get all essential vitamins in your system Check out the website from the OP; this page in particular
    You are aware that you have to eat a hell of a lot of fruit to get your RDA of protein. iron, etc.

I was reading on a vegan website, and one fruitarian said that they had to eat 6 bananas and 2lbs worth of grapes for lunch, not to mention a lot of fruit for breakfast and tea in order to get their RDA of essential vitamins and minerals.

Also, what about in winter when certain fruits are not readily available? The person's diet would be restricted and they my not be getting all the nutrients they eed because they are unble to find the specific fruits which they need.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 24, 2006
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.