Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    My uni has a fit to sit policy. I'm a first year med student and my first Midd sessionals in Jan 6th. I'm kind of prepared but for the past 2 weeks I've had a really bad cold. It's so bad I've not been able to sleep at night (keeping waking up to cough etc). Then sleeping during the day/being too tired to revise. I'm pretty sure it's turned into a sinus infection so I'm going to my GP on Monday.

If I got a letter from him would this be a good enough reason to miss an exam?
    I'm not trying to get out of it but I do feel like my studying has been majorly affected.

:confused::confused::confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naljamil)
    My uni has a fit to sit policy. I'm a first year med student and my first Midd sessionals in Jan 6th. I'm kind of prepared but for the past 2 weeks I've had a really bad cold. It's so bad I've not been able to sleep at night (keeping waking up to cough etc). Then sleeping during the day/being too tired to revise. I'm pretty sure it's turned into a sinus infection so I'm going to my GP on Monday.

I'm not trying to get out of it but I do feel like my studying has been majorly affected.

We got told that a cold doesn't count, you'd have to break a leg or have something very serious to get a doctor to make an excuse note. I doubt they'd sign one for a cold :/ Most universities have their own policies that you can check, do you have a University intranet or something similar where you can inquire?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlphaDog0127)
    We got told that a cold doesn't count, you'd have to break a leg or have something very serious to get a doctor to make an excuse note. I doubt they'd sign one for a cold :/ Most universities have their own policies that you can check, do you have a University intranet or something similar where you can inquire?
    Well we have this nightline advice service that I'm going to call tonight.

And it's not the cold I'd get a note for only if it turns out to be sinus infection.

I think a sinus infection is a good enough excuse.

ReputationRep:

If you are the quality of first year medical students that is a worry.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

Go to the GP and get a letter. You should ideally still show up to the exam. The worst that happens is you'll be sent home and you'll need to sit it first attempt during resit period.

I had a migraine start the morning of an exam and took a note from the Doctor I saw that morning and was excused to sit it first time around later in the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mimir)
    Go to the GP and get a letter. You should ideally still show up to the exam. The worst that happens is you'll be sent home and you'll need to sit it first attempt during resit period.

I had a migraine start the morning of an exam and took a note from the Doctor I saw that morning and was excused to sit it first time around later in the year.
    Thanks for your reply. Ok that's what I'll do
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply. Ok that's what I'll do
    Take the letter with you to the exam and show it to the invigilators, don't let them take it away if you only have one copy as you might need to give it to the Examinations Officer yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mimir)
    Take the letter with you to the exam and show it to the invigilators, don't let them take it away if you only have one copy as you might need to give it to the Examinations Officer yourself.
    Ok. Is ur uni have the fit to sit policy too. And my uni has this form I should fill out but I don't know you to send it to.

Is there a chance they reject or if I have doctors note will they always accept it?
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Ok. Is ur uni have the fit to sit policy too. And my uni has this form I should fill out but I don't know you to send it to.

Is there a chance they reject or if I have doctors note will they always accept it?
    No idea. The policy for the University will be found on their examinations website somewhere. If in doubt ring student services department at your Uni, and/or email your personal tutor asap. You need to follow procedure to cover yourself and make sure you get the reasonable adjustments you're entitled to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mimir)
    No idea. The policy for the University will be found on their examinations website somewhere. If in doubt ring student services department at your Uni, and/or email your personal tutor asap. You need to follow procedure to cover yourself and make sure you get the reasonable adjustments you're entitled to.
    Ok. Do you think they would find that a sinus infection is a reasonable excuse?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.