Quality of sleep/daily regime

Watch
taeht
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey everyone,

almost everywhere I read how bad it is to go to bed late and how poor sleep it is. I always these days go to bed around 3/4 and sleep till 12/13.. Personally, for me its much better than regular 21/22-7/8 on a week days.

Are there any certain facts I should know? Or are the information actually true? Do you have any sort of similar experience?
Smash Bandicoot
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Physical factors:

-Quality of sleep significantly better due to increased levels of melatonin before sleep and optimal exposure to sunlight in daytime-hence 'early to bed early to rise'

-Animals naturally adapted to a 'biological clock' (circadian rhythm) roughly in tune with the Sun since hunter-gatherer days

-There is some research to say that people out of tune with the natural circadian rhythm, have an increased risk of cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, stroke, Type 2 diabetes, cancer, increased body fat percentage in particular visceral and abdominal fat, and more. The body seeks to 'recharge' and recover after the stress it faced in the day, an adaptation. Sleep deprivation prevents this. The specifics are more complex but certain processes occur earlier after sunset than one might expect, even before midnight.

-There is also research to say that as the body physically degenerates there is an increase in cortisol (hormonal stress) levels and lower executive functioning of the mind. The brain also needs 'sleep' like the body; REM sleep to be precise, `Rapid Eye Movement', or the dream phase which comes about in 90-minute sleep cycles.

People who go to bed later miss out on some of the earlier restorative phases of REM sleep, and people who sleep less simply have less opportunity to complete a sleep cycle. This gives rise to mood disorders i.e. increased risk of mental health problems such as anxiety, depression, OCD and so on, which typically cause low motivation due to ruminations and certain counter-productive thought processes to productivity and achievement. Certainly people who stay up late tend to have less energy and be, for some reason, more stressed and pessimistic…and I know that after a night out, I want to do a lot less the next day than after an earlier night!

Social factors:

-Urban civilisation operates on average on a 9am-5pm office day GMT, that's 9-17. To secure and maintain employment you need to be awake and ready for work at these hours. In practice you need an hour at least to get up and commute, that's 7/8am-5pm.

Equally, people with less energy to be productive are more likely to be sacked and end up unemployed...

-Most sociable activities occur in work hours or early evenings in the working week

-Agricultural societies around the globe are dependent on the Sun for work, so one can't escape this by going to a first world country

tl;dr any doctor or healthy person would tell you, it's better to get at least 8 hours of sleep and ideally go to bed before midnight, than less sleep later at night.

However, you have now 'adapted' to a later biological clock-so it will take time to get back to a natural setting ideal for your health and working day! A good start would be, to go to bed half an hour this week, increasing it by another half hour every week.

And with that I should go to bed, it's 1am and I am as ever a hypocrite sleep well!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (593)
34.1%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.95%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.54%

Watched Threads