Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

How do i revise everything effectively?!!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 12 at the moment, and am taking maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I have been revising since the beginning and have been writing notes by hand on each of the specification points, but its now gone christmas and am realising that writing all this by hand is taking a long time and a lot of effort. Once i had finished making notes on everything, i was going to practice past papers and make mindmaps, but im starting to think im not gonna have enough time to do all of this.

Does anyone have any advice?
    Should i keep doing what im doing, or should i change to typing it up on the computer? I found some other people revision notes and they have been typed up on the comuter, but i can't just read through it and be done with that. i need to make my own notes so it goes in, if that makes sense... any advice or revision plans or anything would help...
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falajapata)
    I'm in year 12 at the moment, and am taking maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I have been revising since the beginning and have been writing notes by hand on each of the specification points, but its now gone christmas and am realising that writing all this by hand is taking a long time and a lot of effort. Once i had finished making notes on everything, i was going to practice past papers and make mindmaps, but im starting to think im not gonna have enough time to do all of this.

Should i keep doing what im doing, or should i change to typing it up on the computer? I found some other people revision notes and they have been typed up on the comuter, but i can't just read through it and be done with that. i need to make my own notes so it goes in, if that makes sense... any advice or revision plans or anything would help...
    Don't fret too much - you could end up spending more time on writing up revision notes than actual revision.

There is no set revision technique that works for all people. You have to find the set which works for you.

Having said that, probably the best method is getting hold of as many past exam papers as you can, together with the mark schemes.

Go through them all one by one under timed exam conditions. You can work out the time you need to spend on each question before hand and keep a stopwatch beside you. Then work through individual questions under strict timed conditions.

When you have got as far as you can go on any given question, look at the mark scheme and mark your answer using the strict guidelines. Anything you have missed or do not understand, go and revise that topic until you get full marks in that question.

Make a note of the stuff you have difficulty with and at the end of the paper, revise these topics until you are confident.

When you get to the end of a few papers (3 or 4 say) do the whole of the next paper under strict exam conditions from start to finish. i.e. without stopping or looking at your notes or the mark scheme as if this was a real exam!

That should both build confidence, improve your exam technique and tell you how far short you are of your goal.

Keep doing this and when you have finished all the papers, start from scratch and this time do them all under strict exam conditions.

If you get really stuck or simply cannot understand something, post the question on TSR together with a description of where you have difficulty and your working so far and many people will help you I am sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falajapata)

Whatever works best for you! I found that typing up my notes didn't help me at all, so I always write them out now, even if it takes up a bit of extra time. First things first, don't panic. You waste more time panicking, when you could actually be spending that time studying. Allocate yourself hour a day to do some practice questions for that subject. If you don't understand something, go back and revise that concept. Writing notes is painful and laborious, but it does pay off! If you don't have time to make detailed notes, make notes on the key points. Also, I tend to stick post-it notes around my room, with definitions and the like. You still have time, so don't worry! Good luck.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.