Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Does anyone listen to music they don't understand?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ethnicity wise I'm Pakistani, but I don't listen to a lot of Bollywood/Pakistani songs, there too upbeat, even the sad ones, and I don't understand them properly, but I love Persian music even though I don't understand it, the way the songs are sung, the beat etc are all what I look for in songs lol.

Anyone else listen to music they don't understand?

ReputationRep:
    All the time. I find the industrialness of Japanese "metal" pretty interesting but it still amuses me how soft J-rock is in general to "W-rock" music. I listen to a lot of European music too from all sorts of different genres speaking Dutch, German, French, Spanish and so on, I only speak English so...

Not to say that I don't enjoy lyrics. Good lyricism combined with the songwriting brings a song to a whole new level and I couldn't really sit down and just listen to a song with a foreign lyrics while doing nothing else because it's just not complex enough, unless it was like prog/technical metal or something.

ReputationRep:
    rap

ReputationRep:
    Only few

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Crimson Massacre. Too technical to comprehend. Just a cacophony of ineluctable sounds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    afrobeats my friend...afrobeats...Ghana boy!

ReputationRep:
    Most of the music I listen to, I dont understand. I listen to mainly Stromae.

All my friends laugh at me

ReputationRep:
    K-pop is fab!

ReputationRep:
    Italian only one song tho . ****s sound nice

ReputationRep:
    Everything about Kpop is good <3

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    I love rai n b which is a mix between Algerian and French music. Helps me study because I have no clue what they're singing about but it keeps me moving which i need when studying.

ReputationRep:
    I listen to Jap music sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    Been a kpop (Korean Pop) fan for a while now. If it sounds nice I'll listen to it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I frequently listen to music with lyrics in languages I don't understand. This is an inevitable consequence of being interested in European folk metal where preserving national heritage/tradition/language is more important than being understood by native English speakers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Not a lot but sometimes I come across songs in a foreign language which I happen to like, so I look them up and listen sometimes.
    e.g. the Arabic bits in a few Bollywood songs.
    or 22:40 of ep 1 here. https://play.google.com/store/tv/sho...IkgHM&hl=en_GB

ReputationRep:
    Chief Keef

ReputationRep:
    Yurp

ReputationRep:
    Me! I listen to songs in African languages I don't understand. When teachers ask me what I'm listening to in class. I just look at them like... Well, I don't really know either.
    Soon as I posted this I remembered that I also listen to songs in Hebrew and French. I don't understand those either.

I suppose my excuse is they're languages I want to learn, and listening reminds and encourages me to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    French rap

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.