Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vish.handa)
    0.8cm as in 8 mm??? that seems quite large or do you mean 0.8mm? if so i got 1mm which is close to that ?
    Your ruler can measure to 0.1 of a mm? I need one of those!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mutleybm1996)
    That sounds about right
    I didn't spot that
    Might get some method marks for the formulae though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    but i was unsure because there was a faint circle surrounding the white spot which i thought would be the atom since the white spot at the centre implies nucleus and the atom is the circle surrounding that (from shells in chemistry) and that diameter was 08.cm? it sounds likes some people just measured the diameter of the white spot which was REALLY tiny so I fail to see how they worked it out from the image given as 2mm?! got the magnification as 3*10^7?? Anyone get similar?

ReputationRep:
    Your ruler can measure to 0.1 of a mm? I need one of those!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ahahaha micrometer?? you never know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HennersPD)
    but i was unsure because there was a faint circle surrounding the white spot which i thought would be the atom since the white spot at the centre implies nucleus and the atom is the circle surrounding that (from shells in chemistry) and that diameter was 08.cm? it sounds likes some people just measured the diameter of the white spot which was REALLY tiny so I fail to see how they worked it out from the image given as 2mm?! got the magnification as 3*10^7?? Anyone get similar?
    i got 3 *10^6

ReputationRep:
    If it wanted you to use 99 it would have said 99...........

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah pretty sure you had to use 100. Saying <100 includes numbers such as 1, i don't think you'll get any marks if you use 1,2,3 etc

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure measuring it was the right way to go to be honest especially if it's that ambiguous

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It told you to measure it, and all of the past papers include measuring it so you get cmpixel-1 then work out the resolution

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    But it didn't say HOW MANY atoms

Posted from TSR Mobile
    if u used any number from 90 to 99 , the answer u'll get will approximately be 3.0 * 10^6 , and this is what u get if u measure the diameter of an individual atom on the image.
    I am sure any body won't use one atom when the question says that the image contains just less than 100 atoms in the width

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zain.chishty)
    i got 3 *10^6
    How??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebigman98)
    It told you to measure it, and all of the past papers include measuring it so you get cmpixel-1 then work out the resolution
    Not if some people used 2mm and others used 8mm

Then some people used different numbers of atoms and all sorts of things

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zain.chishty)
    if u used any number from 90 to 99 , the answer u'll get will approximately be 3.0 * 10^6 , and this is what u get if u measure the diameter of an individual atom on the image.
    I am sure any body won't use one atom when the question says that the image contains just less than 100 atoms in the width
    I know it's not 1, I'm just saying <100 could be anything sensible from 10-99 for all we know

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey for the suitable metals microstructure question did you have to talk about alloying? i just talked about metallic structure :/

ReputationRep:
    "What did anyone get for that question about bytes for the image? Was it something around 75000"

-i got 750,000

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone made an unofficial mark scheme for this yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BongoBuddha)
    "What did anyone get for that question about bytes for the image? Was it something around 75000"

-i got 750,000
    it was 75,000

ReputationRep:
    it was 75,000
    doh! there goes 2/3 more marks -oh well there's always nxt year

ReputationRep:
    No. you were supposed to measure the image with a ruler, and divide that by the diameter of the atom.

ReputationRep:
    doh! there goes 2/3 more marks -oh well there's always nxt year
    dont worry you probably did the right sum just added a 0 on somewhere, you'll get method marks

ReputationRep:
    I got that too!
    it was 75,000

ReputationRep:
    dont worry you probably did the right sum just added a 0 on somewhere, you'll get method marks
    Yeah, I hope I get a method mark -I have made so many silly mistakes though
    -only just finished in time,

Did anyone else struggle for time?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I hope I get a method mark -I have made so many silly mistakes though
    -only just finished in time,

Did anyone else srtuggle for time?
    yes i struggled for time, had to make a few last minute guesses and made silly mistakes, hopefully the grade boundaries are low, but people seemed to find it easy.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.