Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

OCR PHYSICS B G494~ 11th June 2015 AM ~ A2 Physics Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'd personally say you're looking at mid 40s for an A and not much over 50 for 100% UMS.

ReputationRep:
    I genuinely don't think I could have done much worse :ashamed2:

ReputationRep:
    I'd say this paper was medium. There were a few tricky questions I couldn't do. I reckon 43 or so for an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mutleybm1996)
    Did anyone else get 2.7x10^8?
    Also I think it went okay....few mistakes but not too bad!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yes

ReputationRep:
    The binary stars question made some hilarious shapes hahaha
    boobs

ReputationRep:
    Answers I can remember:
    2.7x10^8 m/s
    Binary star system: B
    Value of G: something x10^-10
    1.4Hz

ReputationRep:
    Could you have attached the lift to something at the bottom?
    Or was it just decreasing the mass

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Horrible paper for me, I don't think I did well. I've got an A* on virtually all of the past papers but that was massively frustrating. I got G as something x10-16 and 0.45Hz, ugh

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I said increasing k by increasing the cross sectional area of the cables or using a different material with a higher YM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by urz13)
    I said increasing k by increasing the cross sectional area of the cables or using a different material with a higher YM
    I said the same . Didnt think the paper was that bad. Some of the questions were tricky and took a while. Did anyone else get something like 1.22x10^-10 for G. And 2.7x10^23 collisions per second

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewis7253)
    I said the same . Didnt think the paper was that bad. Some of the questions were tricky and took a while. Did anyone else get something like 1.22x10^-10 for G. And 2.7x10^23 collisions per second
    Got both of them

ReputationRep:
    Was it not 1.28 x10^-10 for G once you had factored in the extra radius of the centre of earth to equator? (Given in question)

ReputationRep:
    I won't quote everyone but I got the same answers as you guys (gamma factor one, G, rate of collision).

Also I also said to increase k somehow to increase natural frequency f. I suggested a larger value of E or A. I don't think increasing length of cable will work because the lift occupies a set space.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malachirp)
    Was it not 1.28 x10^-10 for G once you had factored in the extra radius of the centre of earth to equator? (Given in question)
    Yea i got 1.28x10^-10 was what I meant. Think i got 1.22 originally
    Then crossed it out and put that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malachirp)
    I thought that, but as it was a 2 marker thought they wouldn't care aha

ReputationRep:
    For the number of collisions per second question, did you have to estimate a value for the collision time to work out the force per particle?

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else do the actuvation energy one. Was tricky. Required natural logs and complex rearring. Think i got something like 3.96x10^-20J

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I said that another cable could be attached at the bottom to it swinging. What did everyone put for it being unpractical to damp the lift?

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone remember the value they got for epsilon and the two capcitance questions? Epsilon was a tiny number, 10^-20 I think, while the first capacitance value was something like 10-2 Farads and the second was like 20 to 40 microfarads?

ReputationRep:
    I wrote increase the cross-sectional area of the cables. Damping would make the building too top-heavy.

For the temperature-pressure graph (I think it was that) I did a linear graph. B for the binary stars, 1.2x10^-10 for G.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.