Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

(Original post by Minecraft27)
    It's not mass because photons have no mass.
    Have you not read my post? How can you argue with e=mc^2. Mass was definitely NOT conserved.

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else write Charge for the thing that isn't conserved.

It's not quarks because there are no free quarks.
    It's not mass because photons have no mass.
    And I can't remember what the other thing was.

@post 295, a gamma photon was released too.
    Can't be charge because there's the same number of protons present? Not nucleon number because nucleon number is constant. Can't be quark number.

Surely it's mass then. The mass of the products is lower because the mass defect has been converted to energy by E=mc^2 producing a gamma photon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't it have much much more?
    Who knows?! What did you get the activity after 12 weeks as? ://

ReputationRep:
    I also got another answer that was 3.17x10^-12 but I don't remember what question it was. Does this number seem familiar to anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HennersPD)
    12 weeks was 10.5 half lives so it's activity times by 1 over 2 to the power 10.5

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    379 Bq.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STATER)
    Have you not read my post? How can you argue with e=mc^2. Mass was definitely NOT conserved.
    **** e=mc^2.

It's charge, because alpha particles have +2 charge and atoms are electrically neutral.

ReputationRep:
    **** e=mc^2.

It's charge, because alpha particles have +2 charge and atoms are electrically neutral.
    The only thing that's charged is protons. Protons are the same on both sides so charge is conserved.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Rhetorical Hips)
    12 weeks was 10.5 half lives so it's activity times by 1 over 2 to the power 10.5

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wasn't the half life given as 8 weeks?

ReputationRep:
    I also got another answer that was 3.17x10^-12 but I don't remember what question it was. Does this number seem familiar to anyone?
    yes

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't the half life given as 8 weeks?
    It was 8 days.

Atoms also have electrons round them which are negative charged. Alpha particles don't.
    Atoms have electrons which cancel out the charge by protons, therefore as an alpha particle, it's positive charged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhetorical Hips)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did this and got it as 345 Bq as the initial activity was 5*10^5 Bq

ReputationRep:
    379 Bq.
    sure it was 5*10^5 Bq was initial activity so i did this * 1/2^10.5 = 345 Bq

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gianamar)
    yes
    yes it does cannot remember what for though! there were 19 questions on that paper, most be a record for G495 haha!

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you. Charge must be conserved in a nuclear reaction. The only thing on the list that couldn't be conserved was the mass.

ReputationRep:
    sure it was 5*10^5 Bq was initial activity so i did this * 1/2^10.5 = 345 Bq
    It depends what number you started with. I started with the answer I got which was 5.5 or something like that.

My answer led me to 379. I'm sure they'll allow it.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else get 0.89 grays?

ReputationRep:
    I got 0.89 grays

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only person who feels that preparing for STEP probably cost a grade in this exam? I didn't prepare for physics as well as I should have because STEP was all consuming. Yesterday's nightmare called "STEP 2 the bloodbath" left my batteries dead.

ReputationRep:
    It was 8 days.

Atoms also have electrons round them which are negative charged. Alpha particles don't.
    Atoms have electrons which cancel out the charge by protons, therefore as an alpha particle, it's positive charged.
    You were not dealing with atoms, you were dealing with nuclei.

They're all positively charged, with a charge equal to the atomic numver

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.