Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

An interesting view of money Watch

ReputationRep:
    What is money to you?
    Where have you learned the importance of money?
    What do your parents work as?
    What would you do if you had 1million pounds?

Im curious to know your ideas about money, so i can confirm what i know.

THanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Money is power and power is freedom.

As a child.

They don't.

Not enough to stop working but I would manage investments along with enjoying myself. At 10m, I'd no longer need to be employed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zenarthra)
    What is money to you?

THanks
    1. If I were to spend time writing an "intelligent" answer, I would say a social construct designed to order, stratify and control our society. If I were just to give an actual answer, I would say it means choice and having choice over your life and how it is lived.
    2. As a child, my family not having much money and therefore not having much choice
    3. My mother doesn't work, my father works in a warehouse
    4. I would pay my families debt, invest so that I will always have an 'insurance' for my own future and then contribute to the community which raised me.

ReputationRep:
    What is money to you?

THanks
    Money gives me the ability to buy and do things that make me happy.

I learned the importance of money when I got my first full time job on minimum wage. I could go days without spending anything but I never had money left over at the end of the month. I'm a little better off now thankfully.

My dad is a bus driver and my mum works as a general assistant/cleaner in a library.

If I had a £1million, I would go on a shopping spree, book a holiday, pay off debts, give some away and then keep the rest to live on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What is money to you?
    A tool to convert my time at work into possessions or other services I desire.

By going from having almost 0 money to now having plenty of money

Retired

Retire

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Money is power and power is freedom.

As a child.

They don't.

Not enough to stop working but I would manage investments along with enjoying myself. At 10m, I'd no longer need to be employed.
    I totally agree with you on the first one, money gives you power to do what you want, when you want and how you want.
    The tax laws are all written by the rich for the rich.
    The middle class - middle upper class spend their lives working hard for everyone but themselves.
    They are taxed at 50%, taxed when they save, taxed when they spend and taxed when they die.
    So ideally they are working hard for the government.

I agree with 1m isn't enough to stop working, the point where you can stop working is at the point of financial independence. Your assets exceed your liabilities.

Interesting thoughts though, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerrias)
    1. If I were to spend time writing an "intelligent" answer, I would say a social construct designed to order, stratify and control our society. If I were just to give an actual answer, I would say it means choice and having choice over your life and how it is lived.
    2. As a child, my family not having much money and therefore not having much choice
    3. My mother doesn't work, my father works in a warehouse
    4. I would pay my families debt, invest so that I will always have an 'insurance' for my own future and then contribute to the community which raised me.
    Nice thinking, i agree with controlling society and freedom of living your own life.
    Because the richer you are, the less people have control over you, they can tell you what to do.
    When you know the richest people in the world make the tax laws, that's when you know very few people can control the richest.
    May i ask you a question?
    Were you taught in your family to work hard, get a good job and you will be rich?
    Wow such a nice person, yeah i think its definitely a priority to give back to society.

Interesting thoughts, thanks/.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkMagic)
    Money gives me the ability to buy and do things that make me happy.

I learned the importance of money when I got my first full time job on minimum wage. I could go days without spending anything but I never had money left over at the end of the month. I'm a little better off now thankfully.

My dad is a bus driver and my mum works as a general assistant/cleaner in a library.

If I had a £1million, I would go on a shopping spree, book a holiday, pay off debts, give some away and then keep the rest to live on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting!
    So say in 20 years from now, how much do you think you will have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    A tool to convert my time at work into possessions or other services I desire.

By going from having almost 0 money to now having plenty of money

Retired

Retire

Interesting you should say its a tool, there was once an investor who also said money was a tool and an idea.
    But not a tool to convert time though like you said haha, a tool to convert money into more more money.

ReputationRep:
    What is money to you?

THanks
    - Money to me is a means to an end, it is a tool that enables me to do the things I want to do

- Money is important unfortunately, but not as important as friendship, family and good morals

- What my parents work as is nothing to do with the thread title.

- If I had a million, I would buy a nice house for me and one for my mother. The rest would be invested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    - Money to me is a means to an end, it is a tool that enables me to do the things I want to do

- Money is important unfortunately, but not as important as friendship, family and good morals

- What my parents work as is nothing to do with the thread title.

- If I had a million, I would buy a nice house for me and one for my mother. The rest would be invested.
    Interesting!
    You wouldn't think it had anything to do with the view of money.
    But financial education does not exist in schools or even at university.
    So the majority of people inherit their view of money from their families.
    If i was to make a guess, i would say your parents work hard and you come from a good family (working - middle class people).

ReputationRep:
    i don't understand money. i don't know the value of money. if i suddenly had a mill i'd probably panic.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting!
    You wouldn't think it had anything to do with the view of money.
    But financial education does not exist in schools or even at university.
    So the majority of people inherit their view of money from their families.
    If i was to make a guess, i would say your parents work hard and you come from a good family (working - middle class people).
    Yep.

But my view of money has changed since I started University at 18.

I only spend money on things I see improving my life.

Clothes (except work clothes), material items and other luxuries come at Birthdays and Xmas.

ReputationRep:
    Were you taught in your family to work hard, get a good job and you will be rich? .
    Not necessarily that I would be rich, my parents have always valued other things before money and I dont think anyone expects that I will be rich one day, but my parents did encourage the idea of working hard for our keep, nothing material comes for free and they did teach me working hard. Despite not always being good role models in that respect they do value effort and actually going out and doing things. They would I imagine be disappointed if I was not interested in having and maintaining a good job.

ReputationRep:
    What is money to you?

THanks
    1) As cold as it may be, power to me is power, influence and freedom. With money, you'll have power, with money, you'll have influence and with money, you can do almost everything and even then you can push the boundaries with them.
    2)When I was a kid
    3)My mom works as a nurse and my dad work in a warehouse, something to do with IT, I'm really not sure though.
    4) With 1m? I'll probably give some to my family before putting my share in the bank, which I'll hide from my parents, for uni and all that entails. I know that might sound cruel but they're not exactly the best with money.

A few years ago I might have spent all of it on books, novels and game consoles but life happens.

Sorry if I accidentally may have offended anyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Freedom

From not having any when young

They are dead

1 million is not enough to live on with interest rates as they are now. I am not going to say what I would do but I'd recommend investment in property to other people.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources
How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.