Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

King's College London - Political Economy vs. UCL - History, Politics, Economics Watch

• View Poll Results: King's vs. UCL
    King's
    50.00%
    UCL
    50.00%

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am from Australia and am going to be coming over to the UK to study in 2015! I've been accepted into both KCL and UCL into the respective courses of Political Economy and the HPE. At this stage I am not 100% sure which way to go (but probably important to know that I have a greater on the economics side). On one hand, I love the new political economy course that King's offers and could certainly see myself enjoying it, although it appears that UCL has a better reputation as a university over all. However, the HPE course of UCL seems to focus a lot on Eastern Europe, which although interesting, makes the course as a whole more narrow than King's which offers a wider range of global contexts (Asia/Oceania, USA, Africa and ofcourse Europe too) for its units. As a result I am slightly leaning to King's at this stage, but would appreciate any other info/advice/opinions that could potentially help me decided between the two! Many thanks!
    Dan
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much about KCL but the History, Politics and Economics BA is based at UCL's School of Slavonic and East European Studies so naturally the course is going to focus on Eastern Europe and Russia. I think you should look carefully at the course structure (click here) and read the module descriptions (click here) before you decide. It may be that the modules don't interest you at all, in which case your decision is simple. UCL might be more prestigious than KCL but the course is the most important thing.

ReputationRep:
    The KCL course is pretty much unique and has some superb teachers so I'd highly recommend that. I wouldn't worry too much about the relative status of KCL and UCL. There isn't a great deal in it and other factors such as degree result, references and work experience are much more important to potential employers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would look into the course content for both King's and UCL and decide based on that, in terms of reputation, King's has a pretty poor student satisfaction rate, while UCL has quite a high one. Can I ask when UCL replied to you? I applied to HPE as well because I'm interested in Russia and Eastern Europe in general but I haven't received anything other than an acknowledgement yet...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ablessem)
    I would look into the course content for both King's and UCL and decide based on that, in terms of reputation, King's has a pretty poor student satisfaction rate, while UCL has quite a high one. Can I ask when UCL replied to you? I applied to HPE as well because I'm interested in Russia and Eastern Europe in general but I haven't received anything other than an acknowledgement yet...
    Appreciate your input mate! When you talk about the student satisfaction rate, does that refer to teaching? Or is it based more upon the general experience of the university as a whole?
    In regards to your question, I received a response from UCL on the 15th of December notifying me of my offer to read the HPE. All the best with your application, I'd say it is likely that they are still going through the many application that are left, so if you haven't received a response, then I think that just means that they haven't assessed your application yet (which is of course preferred to them declining). Hopefully it all goes well, and who knows, maybe I will see you later this year at UCL!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidgdg)
    The KCL course is pretty much unique and has some superb teachers so I'd highly recommend that. I wouldn't worry too much about the relative status of KCL and UCL. There isn't a great deal in it and other factors such as degree result, references and work experience are much more important to potential employers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks mate! This is certainly what is drawing me to King's, and having researched the Political Economy course and recognising it's unique nature, I'm starting to come to the conclusion that on purely course basis, it is the preferred option. Based on what I'm hearing from most people, the course is the most important aspect (which makes sense). I just need to make sure that what I'd be giving up from not taking up the UCL offer, would be worth it!

ReputationRep:
    did you hear back from UCL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SairaD)
    did you hear back from UCL?
    I'm still waiting to hear, its frustrating because I've heard back from all my other unis and I'm just waiting on UCL so I can firm :mad:....have you applied to HPE?

ReputationRep:
    I'm still waiting to hear, its frustrating because I've heard back from all my other unis and I'm just waiting on UCL so I can firm :mad:....have you applied to HPE?
    i heard from them on friday and I applied in October so I'm sure you'll get your offer soon

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Im also applying for the HPE course for entry in 2016. However my personal statement doesn't really cover at all Russia and the soviet union, however i have put discussions in there about the recent eurozone crisis and its links to Europe. Do you think that not mentioning Russia/ soviet union will be detrimental to my application? (Ive mentioned nothing related to European history))

Thanks for any help.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mustafaok6)
    Hi,
    Im also applying for the HPE course for entry in 2016. However my personal statement doesn't really cover at all Russia and the soviet union, however i have put discussions in there about the recent eurozone crisis and its links to Europe. Do you think that not mentioning Russia/ soviet union will be detrimental to my application? (Ive mentioned nothing related to European history))

Thanks for any help.
    Yes, it will. Why are you applying for this course if Russia/Eastern Europe doesn't interest you?

ReputationRep:
    Well i assumed that an interest in a any specific period of history would suffice as long as i interlinked the three disciplines. Only when i checked the website did i see the focus on eastern Europe. Although i have previously learnt about that time frame (and enjoyed it as well).
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Yes, it will. Why are you applying for this course if Russia/Eastern Europe doesn't interest you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mustafaok6)
    Well i assumed that an interest in a any specific period of history would suffice as long as i interlinked the three disciplines. Only when i checked the website did i see the focus on eastern Europe. Although i have previously learnt about that time frame (and enjoyed it as well).
    I got an offer for HPE without mentioning anything about Russia (or Soviet history) apart for "the dismantling of empires" (which was actually targeting more SOAS than UCL) and didn't even really talk about history as I applied for 4 Econ & Politics/Political Economy courses. I just said in my PS that historical understanding acquired in my history HL class helps me in my economic and political analyses. So, don't worry...If you have a good PS and good predicteds it shouldn't be a problem. They also understand that not all of your 5 options can be Russian focused HPEs!

Actually I have the same "problem" with Political Economy at KCL or HPE at UCL...let's see...

ReputationRep:
    Ho! Did u get any unconditional offers ?

(Original post by Phil97)
    I got an offer for HPE without mentioning anything about Russia (or Soviet history) apart for "the dismantling of empires" (which was actually targeting more SOAS than UCL) and didn't even really talk about history as I applied for 4 Econ & Politics/Political Economy courses. I just said in my PS that historical understanding acquired in my history HL class helps me in my economic and political analyses. So, don't worry...If you have a good PS and good predicteds it shouldn't be a problem. They also understand that not all of your 5 options can be Russian focused HPEs!

Actually I have the same "problem" with Political Economy at KCL or HPE at UCL...let's see...

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.