Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Neil Warnock sacked Watch

• TSR Support Team

They always say you should never go back, Crystal Palace's manager Neil Warnock is the first Premier League manager this season to be sacked.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30610309

ReputationRep:
    At least the league made it past Christmas before sacking anyone, last year about 5 or 6 had already left.

ReputationRep:
    Poor appointment - it seemed Palace got him because they didn't have a clue who to appoint after Pulis left. Never a PL manager and sadly, he'll be back on Talksport/BT Sport fairly soon unfortunately. Glad won't have to listen to his ref/linesman moans anytime soon.

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised Irvine wasn't the first to go.

Can't say I've ever cared for Warnock. Some of his rants are entertaining though but he's always been out of his depth at this level. Why they didn't back Pulis I'll never know.

ReputationRep:
    Right time to do it tbh. Always questions over if he was good enough at this level. Now at the halfway stage in the relegation zone, can't complain. I wonder who they will get in though.

I'd get Chris Hughton in if he'll take it. He's a good manager for a club of their level, could well keep them up but I think would be a good option if they did go down.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Pearson next.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Shed End)
    At least the league made it past Christmas before sacking anyone, last year about 5 or 6 had already left.
    First time it's happened in 20 years.

Was a bizarre appointment in the first place tbh, but looking at the managers who are out of work there's hardly any stand out names. They should try and get someone in before the window opens so the new man has time to assess his squad. If they add a striker they should be fine, the rest of their team is more than good enough to stay up.

(Original post by TheMagicRat)
    I'm surprised Irvine wasn't the first to go.
    Irvine & Pearson will surely join him in the dole queue fairly soon.
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Irvine next surely, you can just count down the days.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Irvine next surely, you can just count down the days.
    Won't be long - but Pearson will run him close imo.

Poyet is a dark horse for it tbh. He's obviously not happy with the hierarchy at Sunderland and keeps telling the press to refer to him as a "head coach", so I'd expect him to jump ship or maybe get pushed should something kick off.

ReputationRep:
    Ah Neil Warnock. If you want your team to be promoted to the Premier League from the Championship, he's your choice. He's also the choice if you want that promoted team to subsequently be relegated from the Premier League to the Championship.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It's a shame but you wouldn't be shocked if this was the first domino now. Several clubs will be alerted and may make a change. Pulis will be back in before long - he's linked with the Palace job but I expect Popovic to get that and Sherwood to take the helm at Brighton personally.

Pulis would be a sensible appointment for WBA/Leicester.

ReputationRep:
    As much as I'd like him Pulis won't come to Albion. He left Palace because he wasn't happy about having little say in who they were signing and he will have just as much, if not less, say on transfers at Albion.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    As much as I'd like him Pulis won't come to Albion. He left Palace because he wasn't happy about having little say in who they were signing and he will have just as much, if not less, say on transfers at Albion.
    Ah, I see. Who do you want post-Irvine, then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Ah, I see. Who do you want post-Irvine, then?
    God knows. There's deeper issues than Irvine that I don't see being resolved any time soon, so I'm not optimistic about anything. We knew what we were doing a few years ago when we had Dan Ashworth as Sporting/Technical Director and he was in charge of transfers. Under him we made some great signings like Mulumbu, Yacob, Olsson, Odemwingie etc. and we tended to pay hardly anything for them. It was a great set up for a club of our size but when Ashworth left to join England it all went wrong. Now we make speculative signings like Ideye for £10 million. We've lost our way off the pitch and I think some big changes have to be made.

Firstly, any new manager should be allowed to bring his coaching team in because currently we don't allow that and that has been deal breaker when trying to appoint managers in the past.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    God knows. There's deeper issues than Irvine that I don't see being resolved any time soon, so I'm not optimistic about anything. We knew what we were doing a few years ago when we had Dan Ashworth as Sporting/Technical Director and he was in charge of transfers. Under him we made some great signings like Mulumbu, Yacob, Olsson, Odemwingie etc. and we tended to pay hardly anything for them. It was a great set up for a club of our size but when Ashworth left to join England it all went wrong. Now we make speculative signings like Ideye for £10 million. We've lost our way off the pitch and I think some big changes have to be made.

Firstly, any new manager should be allowed to bring his coaching team in because currently we don't allow that and that has been deal breaker when trying to appoint managers in the past.
    He may not be tempted, but two words: Eddie Howe.
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Won't be long - but Pearson will run him close imo.

Poyet is a dark horse for it tbh. He's obviously not happy with the hierarchy at Sunderland and keeps telling the press to refer to him as a "head coach", so I'd expect him to jump ship or maybe get pushed should something kick off.
    Good result for Leicester away to Hull, knew their losing streak had to end soon. Lots of managers walking on thin ice at the moment tbh, Bruce should be having a few sleepless nights but I'm not sure there will be the balls to sack him anytime soon.

Sunderland would be mad to sack poyet! I'm a fan of his and he's done a fantastic job since he's come from Brighton, if anything he'll probably walk away...like you said he's not happy with the people above.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Good result for Leicester away to Hull, knew their losing streak had to end soon. Lots of managers walking on thin ice at the moment tbh, Bruce should be having a few sleepless nights but I'm not sure there will be the balls to sack him anytime soon.
    Sacking Bruce would be a big mistake. He's underachieving with the squad he has, but he'll do enough to keep them up.

Irvine will be sacked tomorrow. Was a bizarre appointment in the first place.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Apparently they're after Pardew...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Pearson next.
    Nah - board have got a lot of loyalty with him, they had their chance a couple of weeks back with **** off and die-gate and instead came out in support of him. I'd be surprised if he got sacked this season: fans are still mostly behind him, owners and board behind him, players behind him.

oh, and pulis would be an awful appointment, blows through money and our squad isn't fit for rugby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Apparently they're after Pardew...
    I was looking at the odds earlier and he's something like 1/2 favourite. I don't get it.

(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    oh, and pulis would be an awful appointment, blows through money and our squad isn't fit for rugby.
    Pretty much guaranteed survival though.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 4, 2015
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.