Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Neil Warnock sacked Watch

ReputationRep:
    Uninspired appointment in the first place and frankly deserved to lose his job. Irvine will be next to go most likely.

Saw on MotD Vitor Periera is amongst the favourites to get the job... seems a bit odd considering he has only managed outside of Portugal once (Al-Ahly) and doesn't appear to have any connection with Palace at all.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Sunderland would be mad to sack poyet! I'm a fan of his and he's done a fantastic job since he's come from Brighton, if anything he'll probably walk away...like you said he's not happy with the people above.
    Wouldn't be surprised. Think he's holding out for a job in London as well, according to some journalists. Be interesting to see if West Ham decide to get rid of Allardyce for their new era at the Olympic Stadium. They've got form in employing ex-Chelsea men, so Poyet may suit Gold/Sullivan's new football philosophy.

Sherwood is favourite for both the Crystal Palace and Brighton job, by the way.

Rumours are this morning that Pardew wants the Palace job, though.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    I was looking at the odds earlier and he's something like 1/2 favourite. I don't get it.

Pretty much guaranteed survival though.
    Eh no. He doesn't guarantee survival, he's got a good record, but when he comes and would have to completely overhaul the team to play his style, all he'd guarantee is relegation. If he comes in, all we've achieved in the last three years is thrown in the trash and we're back where we started.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Wouldn't be surprised. Think he's holding out for a job in London as well, according to some journalists. Be interesting to see if West Ham decide to get rid of Allardyce for their new era at the Olympic Stadium. They've got form in employing ex-Chelsea men, so Poyet may suit Gold/Sullivan's new football philosophy.

Sherwood is favourite for both the Crystal Palace and Brighton job, by the way.

Rumours are this morning that Pardew wants the Palace job, though.
    Hmmm odd one this. Do you think he should take the Palace job? Things still don't seem 100% settled at Newcastle (despite results) just yet but why he'd want to go to Palace so eagerly is beyond me, he'll be out in a few months. A bad run of results is all it takes. Palace should give it to Sherwood imo but I don't think he'll be too keen, or there's always Poyet to consider.

(Original post by sr90)
    Sacking Bruce would be a big mistake. He's underachieving with the squad he has, but he'll do enough to keep them up.

Irvine will be sacked tomorrow. Was a bizarre appointment in the first place.
    Losing to Leicester at home is just piling up the pressure for Brucie. But like I said, there won't be the balls to sack him.
    As for Irvine, it's another one of those things, everyone knows it will happen before the news breaks out.

(Original post by sr90)
    Apparently they're after Pardew...
    Why? I actually think that's bizarre, correct me if I'm wrong. If anything, they'll probably give Head Coach role to their caretaker manager.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Eh no. He doesn't guarantee survival, he's got a good record, but when he comes and would have to completely overhaul the team to play his style, all he'd guarantee is relegation. If he comes in, all we've achieved in the last three years is thrown in the trash and we're back where we started.
    Well, in the other thread that asked who would be relegated, I said Leicester. If they had Pulis, I wouldn't say Leicester.

He wouldn't come in and completely change a team's style. I don't even know what his style is. Palace didn't play like Stoke. One thing you do get with him is organisation and a team that is really hard to beat. In a relegation battle that's invaluable.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Well, in the other thread that asked who would be relegated, I said Leicester. If they had Pulis, I wouldn't say Leicester.

He wouldn't come in and completely change a team's style. I don't even know what his style is. Palace didn't play like Stoke. One thing you do get with him is organisation and a team that is really hard to beat. In a relegation battle that's invaluable.
    Now if we had pulis, I'd give up and start planning for the championship, then 4 years of misery, then league one again. He's had a couple of good years, he's no guru - it's like the myth of warnock being a promotion expert despite only winning it three times in two decades. His style is always very similar - big powerful midfielders (n'zonzi at Stoke, jedinak at crystal palace), defensively strong but limited defenders (huth and shawcross, gabbidon and Delaney) and a target man (crouch vs Murray) - of those, we only have the defenders, and that's the first point for improvement in the eyes of most fans. For Pulis, we'd need to blow a load of money next month with no guarantee of survival. Keeping Pearson, we've got a better scout team and only need gentle evolution rather than complete revolution - not to mention Pearson operates well on a budget while pulis spends like a 15 year old with dad's credit card.

Fortunately, our owners are sensible football men, so this is all just hypothetical.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Hmmm odd one this. Do you think he should take the Palace job? Things still don't seem 100% settled at Newcastle (despite results) just yet but why he'd want to go to Palace so eagerly is beyond me, he'll be out in a few months. A bad run of results is all it takes. Palace should give it to Sherwood imo but I don't think he'll be too keen, or there's always Poyet to consider.
    Nah, but the bloke's got a Messiah complex and he's so easy to hate. Can imagine him sat at St. James' right now thinking to himself "I'm the man to keep Palace up."

I think Palace will be desperately lucky to survive tbh, two managerial changes in a season is tough for any club and they are in freefall at the minute. Pulis would be a shrewd re-appointment and lift the club, but it won't happen. Sherwood is another sensible option, but they'll probably end up down with him, along with Leicester/Burnley.

Poyet is an interesting one - he seems to like London life and he may be willing to move should the club promise him the opportunity to sign his own players.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Now if we had pulis, I'd give up and start planning for the championship, then 4 years of misery, then league one again. He's had a couple of good years, he's no guru - it's like the myth of warnock being a promotion expert despite only winning it three times in two decades. His style is always very similar - big powerful midfielders (n'zonzi at Stoke, jedinak at crystal palace), defensively strong but limited defenders (huth and shawcross, gabbidon and Delaney) and a target man (crouch vs Murray) - of those, we only have the defenders, and that's the first point for improvement in the eyes of most fans. For Pulis, we'd need to blow a load of money next month with no guarantee of survival. Keeping Pearson, we've got a better scout team and only need gentle evolution rather than complete revolution - not to mention Pearson operates well on a budget while pulis spends like a 15 year old with dad's credit card.

Fortunately, our owners are sensible football men, so this is all just hypothetical.
    Warnock has won promotion 7 times.

Can't comment on Pulis' spending. He didn't spend much last January and he did spend a lot at Stoke but I'm struggling to find much by way of figures when it comes to money generated from transfers, wage bills, prize money for regularly being around 12th/13th and how much money being in Europe brought in. Although, I believe his spending was part of the reason why Stoke let him go. Either way, I'll be doing cartwheels if Pulis ends up at Albion.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Nah, but the bloke's got a Messiah complex and he's so easy to hate. Can imagine him sat at St. James' right now thinking to himself "I'm the man to keep Palace up."

I think Palace will be desperately lucky to survive tbh, two managerial changes in a season is tough for any club and they are in freefall at the minute. Pulis would be a shrewd re-appointment and lift the club, but it won't happen. Sherwood is another sensible option, but they'll probably end up down with him, along with Leicester/Burnley.

Poyet is an interesting one - he seems to like London life and he may be willing to move should the club promise him the opportunity to sign his own players.
    If they wouldn't back Pulis, why would they back another man?

Pardew would keep them up, but the bigger issue is who would take over Newcastle. They're obviously a massive club but Pardew is simply a puppet for the owner. He has no say in transfers, has his best players sold every summer and the club as a whole show zero ambition. They'd probably put Jon Carver in charge and fall apart like they did in the second half of last season.

Warnock has won promotion 7 times..
    Yes but 3 of them occurred in an era when the Soviet Union still existed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Yes but 3 of them occurred in an era when the Soviet Union still existed.
    :lol: Just realised he said in the last 2 decades.

2 of them were back to back though, which is impressive.

I also think 3 promotions in 20 years is very good. Can't be many who have had more. I think Adkins has 4.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    If they wouldn't back Pulis, why would they back another man?
    It's not they didn't back Pulis, it's just they didn't have the funds to complete the deals. Pulis felt he was working in parameters outside of his worth, so he upped sticks and moved on. He probably thinks he's entitled to a cushty job somewhere with a better budget - and, on last season's efforts, he may very well be right.

Palace were after the likes of Sigurdsson and Shelvey in pre-season. They overestimated themselves. The club backed Pulis enough to bring in Ledley, Zaha etc.

Sherwood will likely take the job I expect. Wonder who will go for the Brighton one.

ReputationRep:
    Sherwood will likely take the job I expect. Wonder who will go for the Brighton one.
    Hughton is odds on favourite.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Hughton is odds on favourite.
    I'd take a punt on Robinson personally.

ReputationRep:
    If Pardew did leave Newcastle does anyone think that Sami Hyppia could be an option to replace him?
    • TSR Support Team

I'd be amazed if Pardew leaves Newcastle, it is surely a step down if he takes over at Crystal Palace.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    I'd be amazed if Pardew leaves Newcastle, it is surely a step down if he takes over at Crystal Palace.
    As mentioned before, though, he seems to have a Messiah complex.

ReputationRep:
    There'll be no Asian or Black manager appointed that's for sure.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Pardiola looks set for the job.

Quite the turn up.

ReputationRep:
    Pardew, The King, returning to his Kingdom at Palace. Kinda has a ring to it.

I don't blame him for wanting to leave considering his relationship with Ashley and the way he is confined to the role by the orders from above. Fans completely don't like him and tbf, not in a bad position atm, but probably has had enough. Shame, Ashley didn't sack him, could have made a couple of million in compensation rather than Ashley pocketing some cash.

I think Pardew would keep Palace up but not sure how much funds he'd get, don't see longevity there though - think he'd be gone soon whereas Ashley would keep him at Newcastle regardless - good or bad times - as long as Pardew toed the line.

Who takes over at Newcastle? Bruce will go as favourite. Sherwood as an outside bet? Might fancy that job rather than West Brom/Hull if Bruce left.
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    x
    (Original post by sr90)
    x
    We 'called it' guys was only a matter of time, Irvine has been officially sacked.... dear oh dear :lol:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 4, 2015
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.