Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Neil Warnock sacked Watch

• TSR Support Team

If anyone can keep them up he can
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    He's reached his ceiling at Newcastle as well. He's finished 5th in the table (above Chelsea and Liverpool) and got them into Europe, he's not going to achieve that again. Why stay when he's being paid a very low salary, and when 90% of their fanbase despise him? When he walks out at Selhurst for the first time with the fans all chanting his name it will feel like such a massive weight off his shoulders.
    Agreed. It's a win-win. Newcastle get paid to get rid of a manager who at one stage this season was looking like an albatross around the neck.

It's a questionable decision by Palace. I don't care if anyone thinks it isn't - because it IS. Spending £6m on compensation for a manager like Pardew is very questionable when that could be spent on players during January. He isn't guaranteed to keep them up by any stretch of the imagination. He'll do very well to in my opinion.

The thing that may save them is the simple fact that teams are obviously worse than them (Leicester spring to mind automatically, and you can probably throw Burnley, Hull and West Brom in there, too.)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    If anyone can keep them up he can
    Not sure I agree tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah whatever happens, 6m is a sizeable amount to spend on a manager and that could easily buy a decent playmaker from the continent which many bottom half teams lack. Although from what I have seen palace need a striker really as thy have 2 decent enough wingers who create chances
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It's a questionable decision by Pardew, too, of course. But it makes more sense from his perspective. Family down there, and he has the potential to stamp his personality on a club whereas Newcastle will always be bigger than Alan Pardew.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    The thing that may save them is the simple fact that teams are obviously worse than them (Leicester spring to mind automatically, and you can probably throw Burnley, Hull and West Brom in there, too.)

Now I can't agree in the slightest - all down there are a much of muchness. While I'm obviously biased, Leicester are no worse than anyone else down there - our performances have deserved at least 5 more points than they have actually picked up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Leicester are no worse than anyone else down there - our performances have deserved at least 5 more points than they have actually picked up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's the nature of the game, I'm afraid.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    That's the nature of the game, I'm afraid.
    Aye, but the point is that we're not any worse than hull, burnley, qpr, palace or west brom. If anything we're better, just been on an awful run of luck. There's no "well at least these teams are worse" to save people - it's any three of six to go down, and all are about equal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    At one stage this season was looking like an albatross around the neck.
    Reference to Samuel Taylor Coleridge's classic poem, Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Nice.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Inb4 you don't know what I'm on about then lol nvm :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Reference to Samuel Taylor Coleridge's classic poem, Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Nice.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I cried at that poem

I looked upon the rotting sea,
    And drew my eyes away;
    I looked upon the rotting deck,
    And there the dead men lay.

Learnt this verse off by heart
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Studied that at year 12! AS Level.

ReputationRep:
    I don't necessarily agree. It's really not the best time to change a manager imo and Pardew fitted Newcastle so well, I can't blame the man from leaving because the relationship between the fans and him is quite frankly uncomfortable to watch. Why he'd go to Palace is beyond me, I wish him luck there regardless anyway.

Plus it also begs the question, who will replace him?
    Pardew didn't fit Newcastle. He's only got himself to blame for the relationship he had with us fans. He was a joke. Check my post in the nufc thread for the long list of reasons that made him utterly pathetic.

Anyone who comes in will do a job aswell as him. He's an awful coach. Tactically he's the worst in the Premiership by far.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Pardiola off to a winning start.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 4, 2015
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.