Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

how much would the whole NHS sell for Watch

ReputationRep:
    if it was sold off entirely by this government

what price would be given ?

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean privatisation or asset stripping?

ReputationRep:
    That's a good question.

Perhaps you could answer for both circumstances, if you wanted to.

ReputationRep:
    I would say £500 billion for a ten year contract to run the NHS. £100 billion for the assets.

ReputationRep:
    The National Asset Register, produced in 2007, catalogued the total fixed assets of the UK Government.

Its health section puts a value of £40 billion on our total healthcare fixed assets (p. 434 if you're interested) - subtract from that about £1.5bn attributed to the Department of Health and about £11m for the Food Standards Agency, and you're left with the figure for the NHS.

Adjust for inflation, and you're looking at about £45 billion in fixed assets, give or take a few billion here and there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    The National Asset Register, produced in 2007, catalogued the total fixed assets of the UK Government.

Its health section puts a value of £40 billion on our total healthcare fixed assets (p. 434 if you're interested) - subtract from that about £1.5bn attributed to the Department of Health and about £11m for the Food Standards Agency, and you're left with the figure for the NHS.

Adjust for inflation, and you're looking at about £45 billion in fixed assets, give or take a few billion here and there.
    That is fixed assets, does that include all the medical equipment, drugs and vehicles the NHS has? Does it include bidding up of the price in a sell off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by william walker)
    That is fixed assets, does that include all the medical equipment, drugs and vehicles the NHS has? Does it include bidding up of the price in a sell off?
    As I understand it - with my admittedly crap understanding of accountancy practice - vehicles and equipment would be included as fixed assets. Anything that is not a current asset, due to be gobbled up in normal operation of that year's business, is - I think - a fixed asset.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    50p and a pack of quavers.

Spoiler:
    Show
    By entirely, do you mean everything, including jobs, assets, property etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    50p and a pack of quavers.

Spoiler:
    Show
    By entirely, do you mean everything, including jobs, assets, property etc?
    I only have monster munch though
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheetahCurtis)
    I only have monster munch though
    Roast Beef flavour? Good enough.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. Those answers were great.

I only meant if they sold it off , because a hypothetical government needed funds from somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Any price that might be achieved will be in large part a function of the obligations placed on the purchaser e.g. access, service level agreements, capital expenditure obligations etc. Its value is merely the NPV of its future cashflow. The more onerous the requirements the lower the price(it is not unfeasible that the price could be negative) and the highest price would probably be realised by placing no obligations on the purchaser; this might, of course, have some unfortunate consequences for UK residents.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It would not really be feasible to sell the NHS as one huge block given how few competitors would have the capital to bid, especially if you obligated them to maintain universality.

Instead a sale of the NHS (actual sale rather than franchising) would see it broken down into its constituent functions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)
    if it was sold off entirely by this government

what price would be given ?
    It wouldn't, it loses £100bn+ a year...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)
    Thank you. Those answers were great.

I only meant if they sold it off , because a hypothetical government needed funds from somewhere.
    How about getting the money from big corporations who put all their money in off shore bank accounts and pay no tax?
    Rather than letting people who can't afford healthcare die on the streets.

ReputationRep:
    With the current debt, you'd end up getting paid to take it off their hands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    How about getting the money from big corporations who put all their money in off shore bank accounts and pay no tax?
    How'd you propose doing that?

Why just 'big corporations'?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    How'd you propose doing that?

Why just 'big corporations'?
    Big corporations are the main culprits. Google pay 0.1% tax, Vodafone something similar. Phillip Green, Lord Ashcroft etc stick all their money from their businesses offshore.

The Conservatives are terrified of these corporations and pull their own trousers down for them and let them exploit this country.
    This is where the money is at and this is how we fund an NHS, by getting back this money we are owed.

ReputationRep:
    This government would sell it for some magic beans if they could get away with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Big corporations are the main culprits. Google pay 0.1% tax, Vodafone something similar. Phillip Green, Lord Ashcroft etc stick all their money from their businesses offshore.

The Conservatives are terrified of these corporations and pull their own trousers down for them and let them exploit this country.
    This is where the money is at and this is how we fund an NHS, by getting back this money we are owed.
    How are they the main culprits since most of the economy is made of SMEs?

So where does the VAT go that I pay to Vodafone? How do they avoid paying NI and income tax? How do they avoid business rates?

Edit
    And I asked how you would 'get the money from them'.

Poll
Which pet is the best?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.