Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Your Favourite Electronic Musician? Watch

• View Poll Results: Who Is Your Favourite Electronic Musician?
    Daft Punk
    11.11%
    Deadmau5
    0%
    Skrillex
    3.70%
    Armin van Buuren
    7.41%
    Chemical Brothers
    7.41%
    Dash Berlin
    0%
    Gemini
    0%
    Calvin Harris
    3.70%
    Morgan Page
    0%
    Röyksopp
    0%
    Kraftwerk
    3.70%
    Moby
    3.70%
    Massive Attack
    7.41%
    The Prodigy
    7.41%
    David Guetta
    0%
    Other
    44.44%

ReputationRep:
    Electronic spans so many subgenres, so it's hard for me to pick only one musician.
    The poll has some of my personal favourites, as well as some which are popular, but I am not big on. I tried to pick something for everyone.
    If there are any which need a shoutout, say so below.

ReputationRep:
    AVB

ReputationRep:
    Its to hard to choose a favorite. There's so many I like. My favorites are Yves v, Nero, Gareth emery, sigma, bass modulators, Darren styles and Wilkinson.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Normally i'd say Autechre but i'm really getting into Flying Lotus

ReputationRep:
    Kraftwerk.

EDIT: I meant to vote Kraftwerk in the poll but clicked "Other" before I noticed that was an option. I'm a terrible human being. I'm the operator of my pocket calculator.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The Third Eye Foundation.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Arkasia. (not me)

ReputationRep:
    Boards of Canada or Aphex twin for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olie)
    Boards of Canada or Aphex twin for me.
    Aphex Twin is a pretty cool guy. Really, the poll should have been of sub-genres of electronica, rather than artists. This is far too difficult to quantify.

ReputationRep:
    Deadmau5 is my go to music

Despise david guetta everything about him annoys me

ReputationRep:
    Im all about Jon Hopkins currently.

I was really disappointed with the new flying lotus and aphex twin albums.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaddywhack)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Syro? Eh, well I really like the final track, but the rest of it is a little too 'mad' for me. Produk 29 and CIRCLONT14 (Shrymoming Mix) were also pretty good tracks, but I agree: nothing he ever does will surpass Richard D James or I Care Because You Do.

ReputationRep:
    Syro was a good album, don't get me wrong. However, it wasn't as impactful as his other works.

My favourite is probably SAW2 or Classics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HigherMinion)
    Syro? Eh, well I really like the final track, but the rest of it is a little too 'mad' for me. Produk 29 and CIRCLONT14 (Shrymoming Mix) were also pretty good tracks, but I agree: nothing he ever does will surpass Richard D James or I Care Because You Do.
    Drukqs was his best album imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaddywhack)

Posted from TSR Mobile

really?? I like "You're Dead" as much as I like "Until the quiet comes" and Cosmagamma"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingStannis)
    Drukqs was his best album imo
    I think it as a ton of great stuff, a lot of his best.

While it is consistent I think it lacks cohesiveness.

I'm surprised at how many Aphex fans there are!

You guys fond of some of his earlier, non-ambient work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingStannis)
    really?? I like "You're Dead" as much as I like "Until the quiet comes" and Cosmagamma"
    You're dead was decent imo but I was expecting a lot after Never Catch Me came out.

I don't like UTQC but Cosmogramma is fantastic and one of my favourite albums to come out this decade

ReputationRep:
    Pretty obsessed with Purity Ring and AlunaGeorge atm, not that these guys are "the best" by any means. Calling a "best of electronic" is really impossible since the genre is so colossal.

ReputationRep:
    Electronic as a genre is more broad than Rock and Metal.

It's so vast, you need to section off small parts.

Knowing House, Disco, Techno for example is a life long adventure, as there is such a plethora of artists, and quality producers and DJs in the field.

I've always been one to typically enjoy trip hop, and even the more poppy aptly titled trip pop. I've always really liked Royksopp all the way through. Senior is one of my favourite albums, yet it isn't particularly recgnised critically. And their first two releases were fantastic, and critically highly accepted. Their final release I haven't listened to much of but I can't say I'm a fan of the direction they took on the first half of the album, though enjoyed the second half. Whilst for me a related aritst Air was all about Moon Safari (which is one of the greatest releases of all time), yet their other albums were let downs. Some nice tracks here and there, but nothing I would sit through a whole release for.

The more true trip hop from the 90s is fantastic. Massive Attack, Kruder & Dorfmeister, Aim, DJ Shadow, Lamb, Tricky, Aloof, One Giant Leap etc. Such great albums to be found as a genre. Probably my all time favourite sub genre.

Jon Hopkins is fantastic, and it's great to see him get a lot of recognition now after being under many people's radars for many years. Open Eye Signal is an all time great production. Really enjoy what he does to it in his mix for FACT magazine.

Trentemoller is a fantastic producer too. The Last Resort is a must listen to any fan of the less repetitive of electronic styles.

Everyone knows Aphex Twin - pretty staple music. A lot of great ambient house around that time such as Orb which gets forgotten about today. It's dated as a sound, but it's pretty cool. KLF are awesome too.

You have the techno greats such as Ben Klock, Marcel Dettman. Going to Fabric for the recent 15th Birthday was one of the most awesome experiences of my life. 9 hours b2b, along with live sets from the incredible Mathew Jonson, and fantastic DJ sets from Troxler and Ricardo Villalobos amongst so much more. Fabric is a must go to for any fan of dance music, as it's by far the best club of its kind in the UK. Unreal sound system. A lot of latter provide some fantastic tech house. It's not the pure techno of the likes of Klock, Dettman, Surgeon.

You then have the crap which is really badly produced like Calvin Harris, David Guetta, Avicii, Tiesto. It's not wasting much breath on those names. They get a lot of money, but so do Bieber and One Direction.

I've only touched the surface here, and I know in reality my taste is fairly narrow in terms of Electronic. I don't listen to much D&B, jungle, breakbeat, dubstep, garage - and each of those genres are pretty vast.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand all the different genres. At all. I just listen to **** that's good. I'm glad I'm not the only one who listens to these "IDM" muscicians anyway.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.