Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Your Favourite Electronic Musician? Watch

• View Poll Results: Who Is Your Favourite Electronic Musician?
    Daft Punk
    11.11%
    Deadmau5
    0%
    Skrillex
    3.70%
    Armin van Buuren
    7.41%
    Chemical Brothers
    7.41%
    Dash Berlin
    0%
    Gemini
    0%
    Calvin Harris
    3.70%
    Morgan Page
    0%
    Röyksopp
    0%
    Kraftwerk
    3.70%
    Moby
    3.70%
    Massive Attack
    7.41%
    The Prodigy
    7.41%
    David Guetta
    0%
    Other
    44.44%

ReputationRep:
    Daft Punk for me

ReputationRep:
    Edm is different to idm.
    I hate to sound pedantic to you but they are so, colossally different.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingStannis)
    I don't understand all the different genres. At all. I just listen to **** that's good. I'm glad I'm not the only one who listens to these "IDM" muscicians anyway.
    Edm is different to idm. I assume you are talking about aviici and co. Edm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eveiebaby)
    Edm is different to idm.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I couldn't think of anything more so colossally different :lol:

I don't understand all the different genres. At all. I just listen to **** that's good. I'm glad I'm not the only one who listens to these "IDM" muscicians anyway.
    The whole point when you get into a music style is that if you really like you start to understand the style, and other similar related artists. Therefore, it's quite important.

Of course, a casual attitude of listening to something if it's on and not caring much about exploring and delving further into the style is fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eveiebaby)
    Edm is different to idm. I assume you are talking about aviici and co. Edm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nope I love my IDM. Autechre are pretty much my go to artists if I want to relax tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    I couldn't think of anything more so colossally different :lol:

The whole point when you get into a music style is that if you really like you start to understand the style, and other similar related artists. Therefore, it's quite important.

Of course, a casual attitude of listening to something if it's on and not caring much about exploring and delving further into the style is fair enough.
    I'm not getting the terms confused; I like IDM. I only really like a few electronic artists outside of that genre tbh. The masses of other genres is so expansive I'm intimidated by them.

Why is it so hard to believe i could possible like that genre:confused:

ReputationRep:
    If I had to pick a single favourite over all others and not just best of the genre then The Chemical Brothers

ReputationRep:
    www.last.fm/user/higherminion go nuts.

Kim Hiorthoy, Third Eye Foundation and Fila Brazillia are my top artists. Also, give Cujo a try:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by okcherubble88)
    Deadmau5 is my go to music

Despise david guetta everything about him annoys me
    I'd say exactly the same thing.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The Chemical Brothers.

ReputationRep:
    I recommend listening to this album by Autechre: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...0536F9F605637A

Or listen to one song from the album:

ReputationRep:
    What did you think of exai?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaddywhack)
    What did you think of exai?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It was brilliant. But it isn't for new listeners.

ReputationRep:
    I recommend
    Enjoyed that. Reminded me of Fila Brazillia's Subtle Body, but a bit more immediate in sound.

Would also recommend Funki Porcini. The album The Ultimately Empty Million Pounds in particular:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HigherMinion)
    Enjoyed that. Reminded me of Fila Brazillia's Subtle Body, but a bit more immediate in sound.

Would also recommend Funki Porcini. The album The Ultimately Empty Million Pounds in particular:
    I liked that.

I gather you seem to be interested in the more ambient side of things, s =o only about 40% of what Autechre do will match that taste. But they are the artists to go to when you're just bored of most sounds. They're all about sound engineering.

ReputationRep:
    I liked that.

I gather you seem to be interested in the more ambient side of things, s =o only about 40% of what Autechre do will match that taste. But they are the artists to go to when you're just bored of most sounds. They're all about sound engineering.
    That's right. What I like in my music is layers of sound and a bit of bass. More that I'm bored with noise and lyrics that don't match than being bored of sounds. These soundscapes are captivating.

This isn't electronica now, just ambient post-rock- but this is one of my favourite bands for the awesome layering:

ReputationRep:
    Hardly anyone knows this, but it is my favourite trance song.

ReputationRep:
    I recommend listening to this album by Autechre: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...0536F9F605637A

I really like this track and much of Oversteps and I like some of their 90s stuff like Tri Repeatae and Incunabula, but like you say, Exai isn't really for new listeners and as much as I enjoy electronica, I personally struggled to get into it

ReputationRep:
    Moby

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olie)
    I really like this track and much of Oversteps and I like some of their 90s stuff like Tri Repeatae and Incunabula, but like you say, Exai isn't really for new listeners and as much as I enjoy electronica, I personally struggled to get into it

Exai takes a long time for the penny to drop on it.....but when it does; wow. I like it as much as Untilted.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.