Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    The question is: Find the first four non-vanishing terms of:

iii.  \frac{x}{e^x -1}

So I've tried two methods, one method I substituted  y=e^x but that got complicated quickly and I wasn't sure what to do with it once I subbed back in for  e^x next I tried the old fashion differentiate it each time method and that didn't work because I kept ending up with 3 products to differentiate (and we haven't learnt a product rule for 3 things multiplied together).

Attached is the worked solution which I don't even understand, come someone please help me with this question as I am well and truly stuck!

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsboy1)
    The question is: Find the first four non-vanishing terms of:

iii.  \frac{x}{e^x -1}

So I've tried two methods, one method I substituted  y=e^x but that got complicated quickly and I wasn't sure what to do with it once I subbed back in for  e^x next I tried the old fashion differentiate it each time method and that didn't work because I kept ending up with 3 products to differentiate (and we haven't learnt a product rule for 3 things multiplied together).

Attached is the worked solution which I don't even understand, come someone please help me with this question as I am well and truly stuck!

write the exponential series at the bottom
    cancel the 1
    then cancel an x all they through
    then ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    write the exponential series at the bottom
    cancel the 1
    then cancel an x all they through
    then ...
    It's still \dfrac{1}{(...)}, so we need some way to convert the (...) to the numerator.

OP, the product rule for 3 is (fgh)' = f'gh + fg'h + fgh', you can prove this by doing (fgh)' = ((fg)h)' = (fg)'h + (fg)h' = (f'g + fg')h + fgh' = f'gh + fg'h + fgh'.

Now for the answer you posted, the writer just substituted in Y = \dfrac{e^x - x - 1}{x}, because the taylor series of Y = \dfrac{x}{2} + \dfrac{x^2}{6} + ..., so at the Y^4 boundary, it is bound to stop (you won't need to consider any higher Y powers).

I tried integrating \displaystyle \dfrac{x}{e^x - 1}, and then get the taylor series of the integral and then differentiate, but the integral is not nice at all, so that fails. I think the writer of the solution just wanted to force a substitution. So you can attempt various substitution via trial and error, for which \dfrac{x}{e^x - 1} in terms of the substitution Y has a nice taylor series, and you can sub your values back in and do that hog-mess of algebra.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0x2a)
    It's still \dfrac{1}{(...)}, so we need some way to convert the (...) to the numerator.

OP, the product rule for 3 is (fgh)' = f'gh + fg'h + fgh', you can prove this by doing (fgh)' = ((fg)h)' = (fg)'h + (fg)h' = (f'g + fg')h + fgh' = f'gh + fg'h + fgh'.

Now for the answer you posted, the writer just substituted in Y = \dfrac{e^x - x - 1}{x}, because the taylor series of Y = \dfrac{x}{2} + \dfrac{x^2}{6} + ..., so at the Y^4 boundary, it is bound to stop (you won't need to consider any higher Y powers).

I tried integrating \displaystyle \dfrac{x}{e^x - 1}, and then get the taylor series of the integral and then differentiate, but the integral is not nice at all, so that fails. I think the writer of the solution just wanted to force a substitution. So you can attempt various substitution via trial and error, for which \dfrac{x}{e^x - 1} in terms of the substitution Y has a nice taylor series, and you can sub your values back in and do that hog-mess of algebra.
    do you know the binomial expansion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    do you know the binomial expansion?
    Ohhhh of course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0x2a)
    Ohhhh of course

ReputationRep:
    in fact I am saying silly things too

factorize minus out
    -x/(1- ex) then binomial

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.