Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Nigel Farage named 'Briton of the year' by the Times Watch

ReputationRep:
    They were still clearly pissed from the christmas party when they came up with that then...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-9946110.html

ReputationRep:
    I say he is the new Enoch Powell, only: far less intelligent, is a far less skilled politician, not a conservative and so forth

ReputationRep:
    What next?
    The Guardian voting for Hamjam Choudarry?😊

ReputationRep:
    if we were to only nominate one british politician, as opposed to anybody british, for this position, I'd say he deserves it
    however, I'm sure there were british people this year who did more than him - beating nick clegg in an EU-based debate was child's play

ReputationRep:
    Really sums up the times newspaper

Utter ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gott)
    I say he is the new Enoch Powell, only: far less intelligent, is a far less skilled politician, not a conservative and so forth
    "a less skilled politician"? did enoch powell create~ his own political party which did/is doing as well as UKIP right now?

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, he did find the magic formula for nationalistic success. Which is keep your attacks solely on white europeans and the establishment can't attack you because it's not possible to be racist towards whites.

ReputationRep:
    Very clever decision by the times, they've just brought a bucketload of free publicity.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Call me cynical but i suspect this is part of a Murdoch campaign to big up UKIP across the NewGroup stable and increasingly put the wind up Lab and Con as their poll scores rise. Consequently, when he throws his weight behind one he can get more concessions to his requests for doing so.

Or maybe Rupert's not interested in that sort of thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippity.doodah)
    "a less skilled politician"? did enoch powell create~ his own political party which did/is doing as well as UKIP right now?
    Fair point, it just shows how far you can get being just reasonably articulate, compared to Enoch Powell who was a linguist. I was just being fanciful thinking that education and intelligence had anything to do with British politics. Perhaps the word 'skilled' is important
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gott)
    Fair point, it just shows how far you can get being just reasonably articulate, compared to Enoch Powell who was a linguist. I was just being fanciful thinking that education and intelligence had anything to do with British politics. Perhaps the word 'skilled' is important
    The problem with Powell is that our society remembers him as 'that guy who made the Rivers of Blood speech'. We live in a world where everyone is associated to an event or quotation, and the media warped it so that he got a short straw.

When we consider what Farage has done this year, regardless of whether we agree with it, then we can see why he is 'Briton of the Year'. He will go into the history books for building a party from essentially nothing, and challenging the establishment.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The question is not about who was greatest but rather who made the most impact. Osbourne won it last year and Hitler apparently won in the 30's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    The problem with Powell is that our society remembers him as 'that guy who made the Rivers of Blood speech'. We live in a world where everyone is associated to an event or quotation, and the media warped it so that he got a short straw.

When we consider what Farage has done this year, regardless of whether we agree with it, then we can see why he is 'Briton of the Year'. He will go into the history books for building a party from essentially nothing, and challenging the establishment.
    I should think in the conservative version of history he wont, he will just be for challenging them, by taking their right wing voter base and having economically unviable European policies (I am assuming we are agreed on that and the fact that UKIP voters hate foreigners too much to care or don't understand it). At least in right wing torry circles Powell's will represent the most credible of its kind in arguments against immigration, while Farrage will perhaps represent a tradition of his party line in Britain, as oppose to the particular viewpoint its self

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FDR)
    They were still clearly pissed from the christmas party when they came up with that then...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-9946110.html
    Why?

They gave it Salmond last year.

ReputationRep:
    Well frankly, Farage was most prominent and influential Briton of the year.

Doesn't stop him being a right prick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Very clever decision by the times, they've just brought a bucketload of free publicity.
    That post reminds me of this:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    Why?

They gave it Salmond last year.
    Actually they gave it to Osborne last year.

Anyway, I really don't believe Farage has done or achieved anything at all - they argue that he's changed British politics, but I don't understand how - UKIP did well in the european elections, as usual, and he won a couple of byelections (that were in fact won by the incumbents). All Farage and his party have done is ramp up the xenophobic and homophobic tone.

Not that an accolade by the Times matters at all, but there are more deserving people who should be recognised for their achievements - off the top of my head, William Pooley (ebola aid worker and survivor), Stephen Sutton (raised money for cancer), Gordon Brown (played an active role in keeping the UK together), Salmond (probably influenced British politics more than farage), Chris Mould (head of Trussel trust food banks).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
    Well frankly, Farage was most prominent and influential Briton of the year.

Doesn't stop him being a right prick
    Pretty spot on really. As much as many of us may dislike Farage, it's hard to dispute he was probably the biggest name in UK politics this year. I'm not sure if he was really Brit of the year though. It seems though that The Times haven't given it to him based solely on this year, but on his 'journey from the 2010 general election.' It's just that his 'journey' has peaked this year. He would never be my pick for Briton of the Year, but hey it's a pretty meaningless award anyway, based only on the opinion of a newspaper which just coincidentally has a right-wing ethos like Farage's. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    This is what UKIP stand for :

A vote for UKIP is a vote for a hung parliament where nothing gets done.

A vote to have open borders with over 2 billion people, not just 450 million, because Farage wants open borders with the Commonwealth instead of the EU.

A vote to dismantle the hard work and change carried out by Cameron.

A vote to destroy the social progress that has helped ethnic minorities, women and the disabled.

A vote to stink up 10 Downing Street with "pints and ciggies" that seem to be glued to Farage's hands.

UKIP want to destroy the EU and leave, which is actually their main source of funding. Forethought is not their strong point.

ReputationRep:
    I am very surprised by the decision not because Nigel does not deserve it because he does but because the Times have been very very critical of UKIP for years even having to pay Nigel damages in the past for made up stories. They are also staunch Tory supporters.

Nigel does deserve love it or hate him 2014 was UKIP's year. The first time a party outside of Labour & the Tories won a national election for over a century is a historic achievement, breaking into Westminster particularly in the Rochester seat, getting hundreds more councillors & the big increase in membership. No other politician was going to win. LibLabCon have had terrile years all round & weren't even in the running & SNP had a disaster losing the referendum which they had been working towards for decades.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.