Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Got 80UMS in C1 Mock Pratice - what should I really be getting? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Doing C1 for mock next week and Ive done ~2hrs of revision for maths, did a C1 paper after doing 2 others and got 80UMS - A (62/75)on my 3rd paper.
    Considering I'm doing C2 and M1 which C2 is much harder, and also considering my goal is really anything above 290UMS, am I on the right track? 5 months to go? What should I really be getting NOW. I've looked over my work and if I didn't make silly mistakes I'd be on ~85UMS. Also, I got 62/75 which is just an A and for 90 UMs you needed 69. So what do you need for 100UMS? 75/75? Surely not? Please could you answer all my question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naxiv)
    Doing C1 for mock next week
    So what do you need for 100UMS? 75/75?
    I depends on the exam board (it sounds like you're doing Edexcel but I'm not sure) and the exam season, but for Edexcel it's normally 74 or 75 to get 100UMS in C1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    I depends on the exam board (it sounds like you're doing Edexcel but I'm not sure) and the exam season, but for Edexcel it's normally 74 or 75 to get 100UMS in C1.
    That's aids, 74? And yes Edxcl. That's basicslly full marks
    Could you answer others?

ReputationRep:
    Think I got something similar (61-64 can't remember) in January last year. Got an A*. If you've got gaps in your knowledge fill them up, mine was due to lack of practice (no revision) and silly mistakes. If you don't fill these gaps in knowledge you'll be screwed over eventually, it gets harder and harder. Sounds like you're doing alright just make sure you understand EVERY topic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)
    Think I got something similar (61-64 can't remember) in January last year. Got an A*. If you've got gaps in your knowledge fill them up, mine was due to lack of practice (no revision) and silly mistakes. If you don't fill these gaps in knowledge you'll be screwed over eventually, it gets harder and harder. Sounds like you're doing alright just make sure you understand EVERY topic
    Thanks x
    Could you break your modules grades down and how you an A* please. Thanks
    When you mean "filling gaps", I guess you pretty much knew every question. Do you have to be "fluent" at answering the questions in the exam? Not missing any questions ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naxiv)
    Thanks x
    Could you break your modules grades down and how you an A* please. Thanks
    When you mean "filling gaps", I guess you pretty much knew every question. Do you have to be "fluent" at answering the questions in the exam? Not missing any questions ...
    C1 - 94 C2 - 96 C3 - 92 C4 - 100 S1- 87 (not my strong point...) M1 - 100

If you can answer every question and the only thing holding you back is silly mistakes then I would count that as revision done. I revised until I knew how to answer every question, mostly just by doing EVERY past paper available. (Doing them twice helps, and I also highlighted interesting questions that had some sort of 'trick' to them to look back at and remember). By 'fluent' do you mean comfortable and able to do them with speed? I'd recommend it but it's not always possible. If you absolutely can't understand a topic just find ANY method of doing it and stick to it. It's not a great method, so use as a last resort. If you're considering something mathematical afterwards those gaps will eventually catch up with you. For the A* make sure you focus on C3/C4, the applied unit really doesn't matter much if you have high UMS elsewhere (I could've skipped S1 entirely and *just* got the A*) but they're interesting anyway so don't do that :P

If you get a choice of applied units I'd recommend any of stats or mech. Have heard decision is a bit dull. S1 IS hard but S2 is nice so that's great. M1 - really hard to start off with but once you 'get it' mechanics becomes fairly straightforward so M2 has been fine so far.

ReputationRep:
    I only got 77 in C1 but 97 in C2 lol. Aiming for an A* this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)

If you can answer every question and the only thing holding you back is silly mistakes then I would count that as revision done. I revised until I knew how to answer every question, mostly just by doing EVERY past paper available. (Doing them twice helps, and I also highlighted interesting questions that had some sort of 'trick' to them to look back at and remember). By 'fluent' do you mean comfortable and able to do them with speed? I'd recommend it but it's not always possible. If you absolutely can't understand a topic just find ANY method of doing it and stick to it. It's not a great method, so use as a last resort. If you're considering something mathematical afterwards those gaps will eventually catch up with you. For the A* make sure you focus on C3/C4, the applied unit really doesn't matter much if you have high UMS elsewhere (I could've skipped S1 entirely and *just* got the A*) but they're interesting anyway so don't do that :P

If you get a choice of applied units I'd recommend any of stats or mech. Have heard decision is a bit dull. S1 IS hard but S2 is nice so that's great. M1 - really hard to start off with but once you 'get it' mechanics becomes fairly straightforward so M2 has been fine so far.
    Did you find C4 easier than C3? I haven't even started doing C4 yet I hope I haven't left it too late (in year 13)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)

Wow thats extraordinary
    100 - M1
    How did you find M1?
    I'm currently studying it? Thanks
    What do you plan to do at uni

ReputationRep:
    How are we supposed to know what you're 'supposed' to be getting 5 months before an exam? The more practice you do, the more likely you are to get a better grade. Understand the concepts, practice questions until you exhaust the types of exam questions you could be given and make sure you don't make silly mistakes. That's honestly all there is to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonwinner)
    Did you find C4 easier than C3? I haven't even started doing C4 yet I hope I haven't left it too late (in year 13)
    Yes, yes I did. C4 was slightly conceptually 'harder' but that meant they asked fairly straightforward questions. C3 was the opposite.

(Original post by naxiv)
    Wow thats extraordinary
    100 - M1
    How did you find M1?
    I'm currently studying it? Thanks
    What do you plan to do at uni
    Thanks very much. M1 - very easy at the start, then it went massively difficult. Spent several days/weeks doing questions then it sorta clicked. Had an easy paper as well for M1, really straightforward. The calculus in M1 is laughably simple though that may have been because I did C3/C4 as well. M1 results surprised me actually, expected 80+ but not my best unit (well tied best).
    Doing Computer Science w/maths @ Cambridge if I get an offer (not a hope in hell). Or pure computer science at Imperial/UCL depending on if I meet Imperial offer or not (1 in STEP 2 A*A*AA ugh)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)
    Yes, yes I did. C4 was slightly conceptually 'harder' but that meant they asked fairly straightforward questions. C3 was the opposite.

Thanks very much. M1 - very easy at the start, then it went massively difficult. Spent several days/weeks doing questions then it sorta clicked. Had an easy paper as well for M1, really straightforward. The calculus in M1 is laughably simple though that may have been because I did C3/C4 as well. M1 results surprised me actually, expected 80+ but not my best unit (well tied best).
    Wow! Impressive

How would you compare C1 to C2 and M1?
    Im finding C2 hard but is it because no of it is of gcse knowledge or it is just meant to be harder? Or does it come with revision?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naxiv)
    Wow! Impressive

How would you compare C1 to C2 and M1?
    Im finding C2 hard but is it because no of it is of gcse knowledge or it is just meant to be harder? Or does it come with revision?
    C1 - mostly just difficult GCSE stuff. C2 - felt hard at first but practise made it easy (especially after C3/C4)

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure you average an A in your AS modules, UMS might matter, but until A2 you don't need more than 80 UMS.

ReputationRep:
    100 UMS

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think you're worrying too much about this with so long to go.. If you want an a or a* you should be pretty much hitting 100ums in c1 though, it's so basic

ReputationRep:
    If you want 90 UMS, you should aim for 90+ UMS each time(preferably 95-100), but you only really need 80 UMS in AS modules.

If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.