Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm 42
    im a successful dental implant surgeon with a masters in oral surgery and RCS Ed membership in dental implantology but I've always wanted to study vet med
    any thoughts
    do I have a hope in hell
    brook19

ReputationRep:
    I think you've got more to lose by not going for it. You obviously know what a demanding course is like so know what you'd be getting into.

I've heard of people retraining as a vet in their 50s, when you consider how long you've got before you retire (sorry!) you might as well be in a job that makes you happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks farmerjo
    Any ideas on where would be most receptive to mature students like me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    There is a lot of information in the Veterinary Medicine forum which you might find interesting. Make use of the search function to find older threads, I am sure I have seen mature studnets post there in the past. I do not know which vet school is most receptive to mature students but the RVC's website gives quite a lot of detail on applying with non-standard qualifications, which presumably means they are well disposed to consider all types of applicants.

Are you planning on doing an Access course? Have you done any work experience? I think work experience/time spent volunteering is the most important thing, you need lots to make a competitive application

ReputationRep:
    I'll look at those
    Have made contact with Edinburgh who seem receptive and Liverpool, who say they accept mature students
    I'm on with the experience aspect too
    Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.