Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

do you think social media ruins relationships? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I can't count the amount of times I have heard someone mention seeing something on their partners Facebook/instagram they didn't like or mention a girl/guy that seemed to be paying their partner a lot of attention online. My friends girlfriend literally stopped talking to him because she didn't like the fact he liked other girls pictures, yet she has hundreds of randoms on hers and gets alot of attention which he doesn't like.

What are your thoughts? Would you mind your partner liking pictures of other girls /guys?

ReputationRep:
    Trust is key, regardless of the era we're living in, and how easy (or hard) it is to keep a secret
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I don't think social media itself is the problem. I think, as the poster above said, it's trust. If it wasn't social media, it'll be email, text messages, etc.

Like previous post, they lack of trust of each other faithfulness. They're doubting and over-thinking. I believe it's very childish for them to get angry over that and it makes me worrisome if they're actually seriously mature enough or sensible enough to have a relationship :/

YOU GOTTA BELIEVE THAT YA MAN OR YA WOMAN LOVES YA DEEPLY AND FAITHFULLY, LIKING DUH PIC DOESN'T MEAN THEY'RE NOT FAITHFUL. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

ReputationRep:
    I don't care what she does online as long as it's appropriate.

If people get fussy because of a like on facebook they need to ****ing grow up
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    My online rule is simply.. Whatever you do, I'll be doing too. Don't like it, don't do it.

ReputationRep:
    The amount of times I've had to say
    "Baby she's just a friend I promise, it's just I... I (continue)"
    In a New York italian accent is too high, so chyeah I'd say it can ruin relationships especially when the two people aren't mellow

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yeah dude)
    The amount of times I've had to say
    "Baby she's just a friend I promise, it's just I... I (continue)"
    In a New York italian accent is too high, so chyeah I'd say it can ruin relationships especially when the two people aren't mellow

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But if it wasn't social media, you'd fin another another way. Social media doesn't ruin relationships - people do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    But if it wasn't social media, you'd fin another another way. Social media doesn't ruin relationships - people do.
    Yeah that's kinda linked with the last point, if the people in the relationship aren't calm people then it's destined to fail pretty much dude

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not really. Although it can lead to arguments- I've witnessed my best friend argue so much with her bf about his liking of pics on fb , which probably isn't helped by the fact she logs into his without him knowing!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Social media is a tool for narcissism. People will inevitably feel insecure about their own relationships when they see happy couples on their Facebook feed jetting off on fantastic holidays and such.

It also feeds insecurity by allowing people too much access to other people's info (ie stalking ex girlfriends) and making comparisons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    Nah, just people not trusting each other.

ReputationRep:
    Social media encourages paranoia, especially amongst women.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a bit of both. Lack of trust destroys anyway, but with social media in the mix, and interconnectedness now, seems there isn't anything that won't get out eventually.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attachments Pending Approval
  1. File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByStudent Room1419724156.137951.jpg (72.9 KB)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 27, 2014
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.