Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    This is about my little brother. He works in a well known clothing store . He is constantly asked by the manager to start early / stay till later or cover shifts. However, the manager always 'forgets' to put the shifts to the system So he doesn't get paid for it. He only gets paid for his rota shifts . When he gets his wage slip he tells the manager about this. Usually the manager still forgets to pay him. he never asks the second time as he feels embarrassed .As a result , he has probably lost out about £150 altogether.

personally I feel that if you work those hours you deserve the pay so should chase it up but he says he gets embarrassed with going to the manager and saying ' I didn't get paid for 1 hr on this date, two hours on this date etc ' and thinks he looks stingy but being a college student he can't really afford to do shifts for no pay.

Would you let it go ?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't let it go. It's not being stingy either.

Does he (for fires and stuff) have to sign in and out each time?

ReputationRep:
    No, I would ask again. Get him to keep a log of all the hours he works (his scheduled ones and also the extras he does) and that way you can definitely account for all the hours vs the pay slip. He needs to speak to his boss about it again and ask until he is actually paid back.

My sister had a similar problem where her company didn't up her pay once she turned 18 (she was paid minimum wage but they didn't up it when she turned 18). And she was actually about £1000 down until the point they paid her for everything she had accrued. It was only by careful record keeping that she was able to tell them what she was owed to get it paid back and even then, it was only paid back over about 4 months.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.