Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I've been at my college since September this year and I hate it. I have several anxiety disorders and my college is an hour away, meaning I leave home at half 7 in the morning and get home at half 5 in the evening. It's extremely tiring and I seem to spend all my time doing homework or revising. I'm struggling with the workload and I really hate one of my subjects so I'm considering dropping it now to just concentrate on the other three which I do actually like but I am worried about what universities will think and if this will be a disadvantage? I want to have a gap year before university so I would take another AS during that time, but will it look bad that I took it at a different time to the others? My parents think that it's best I only take three to try and help lower my stress levels and anxiety and stuff but it's still making me feel anxious!

I also haven't made any friends (I literally have none) and I feel incredibly lonely and uncomfortable at college all the time. I am going to try and move to another sixth form or college closer to home for year 13 but that's still quite a while away. Because of my anxiety etc. it means I worry a lot about the exams and things which I realise are still 5/6 months away but I think it really prevents me from taking in any of the stuff I've been learning. I'm just having a really hard time at the moment and was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience or has any suggestions for me? Sorry for the long post and hopefully it makes sense!
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

(Original post by abi09)
    I've been at my college since September this year and I hate it. I have several anxiety disorders and depression and my college is an hour away, meaning I leave home at half 7 in the morning and get home at half 5 in the evening. It's extremely tiring and I seem to spend all my time doing homework or revising. I'm struggling with the workload and I really hate one of my subjects so I'm considering dropping it now to just concentrate on the other three which I do actually like but I am worried about what universities will think and if this will be a disadvantage? I want to have a gap year before university so I would take another AS during that time, but will it look bad that I took it at a different time to the others? My parents think that it's best I only take three to try and help lower my stress levels and anxiety and stuff but it's still making me feel anxious!
    Hi,

I am very sorry to hear that you've been struggling at college. It certainly sounds like it's very tiring. :sadnod:

Regarding doing 3 AS Levels, it depends on which university and which course you're thinking of applying for. Some courses (such as Medicine) may require an additional 4th AS Level. It'd be best to check to see the entry requirements for any uni that you're interested in applying to and checking whether or not they require an extra AS level as part of their offer conditions.

I also haven't made any friends (I literally have none) and I feel incredibly lonely and uncomfortable at college all the time. I am going to try and move to another sixth form or college closer to home for year 13 but that's still quite a while away. Because of my anxiety etc. it means I worry a lot about the exams and things which I realise are still 5/6 months away but I think it really prevents me from taking in any of the stuff I've been learning. I'm just having a really hard time at the moment and was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience or has any suggestions for me? Sorry for the long post and hopefully it makes sense!
    Loneliness at Sixth Form is something that I went through and it was an extremely horrible feeling. For most of my time there, I didn't really have anyone close to me (unlike when I was in Year 11) and it was a very frustrating feeling for me...seeing others around me being part of their own friendship groups also made it seem like time was passing very slowly indeed.

Towards the end of Year 13 though, I ended up making some really, really good friends who stuck by me when I needed them most. How would you feel about just trying to start some form of conversation with the people who you sit next to in classes? I know it's very hard (and must be even harder with anxiety too) to start conversation with people but do you think this is something you could possibly try? It can help to slowly build friendships with people. I know it can be a bit frustrating when you just want that solution now but see if you're willing to try that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    Hi,

I am very sorry to hear that you've been struggling at college. It certainly sounds like it's very tiring. :sadnod:

Regarding doing 3 AS Levels, it depends on which university and which course you're thinking of applying for. Some courses (such as Medicine) may require an additional 4th AS Level. It'd be best to check to see the entry requirements for any uni that you're interested in applying to and checking whether or not they require an extra AS level as part of their offer conditions.

Loneliness at Sixth Form is something that I went through and it was an extremely horrible feeling. For most of my time there, I didn't really have anyone close to me (unlike when I was in Year 11) and it was a very frustrating feeling for me...seeing others around me being part of their own friendship groups also made it seem like time was passing very slowly indeed.

Towards the end of Year 13 though, I ended up making some really, really good friends who stuck by me when I needed them most. How would you feel about just trying to start some form of conversation with the people who you sit next to in classes? I know it's very hard (and must be even harder with anxiety too) to start conversation with people but do you think this is something you could possibly try? It can help to slowly build friendships with people. I know it can be a bit frustrating when you just want that solution now but see if you're willing to try that.
    I want to study something to do with English/American Studies/Film and most of the universities I've looked at only require 3 A Levels. My main concern is that even if I achieve the grades, the place will be given to another student because they have an AS level as well. I guess it's something I'll have to speak to my tutor about!

I'm sorry that you had to deal with loneliness too - it truly is a horrible, horrible feeling and makes everything else harder to deal with

I do speak to people in my lessons but at the end they just leave Also the county in which my college is situated doesn't have sixth forms in schools, so the majority of people who go there have come with all their friends and have just stayed with them. Hopefully the next few months will go quickly and I'll be able to return to my old school where I still have some close friends.

Thank you
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

(Original post by abi09)
    I want to study something to do with English/American Studies/Film and most of the universities I've looked at only require 3 A Levels. My main concern is that even if I achieve the grades, the place will be given to another student because they have an AS level as well. I guess it's something I'll have to speak to my tutor about!
    Fair enough. Yeah, it'd probably be best to speak to your tutor about it or try emailing the uni's where you're interested in applying to see what they say.

I'm sorry that you had to deal with loneliness too - it truly is a horrible, horrible feeling and makes everything else harder to deal with
    Thanks. Yeah, loneliness was the worst.

I do speak to people in my lessons but at the end they just leave Also the county in which my college is situated doesn't have sixth forms in schools, so the majority of people who go there have come with all their friends and have just stayed with them. Hopefully the next few months will go quickly and I'll be able to return to my old school where I still have some close friends.

Thank you
    I think that, as frustrating as it is, it often takes some time for friendships to develop. If it's any reassurance, by the end of Year 13, my closest friends who were at the same Sixth Form as me were all externals, so people who I had never talked to much before but now I talk to them pretty much everyday. Hopefully you'll also find some good friends too soon.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.