Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Boyfriends family dont include me?! Watch

basically i have been going out with my boyfriend for a while now, officially only about 6 months..

I live at home, he lives 10minutes away from me in rented accommodation but his family home is 2 hours away.

He comes out for dinner all the time with me and my family, my parents pay for him.. he constantly stays at mine, has breakfast lunch and dinner.. i drive him everywhere, my parents have brought him places.. hes going to a family function with me on new years eve etc. my parents bought him an extremely thoughtful christmas present which cost around £50...

his family had a christmas dinner where i live, they travelled up and his grandparents,aunts,his sisters boyfriends etc were all invited..and i wasnt..

i sent his family a christmas bunch of flowers and some chocolates.. they didnt get me anything for christmas..

thoughts?

My ex's family were like this too and I still don't understand why. My parent's bought him a present for £30, his mum got me a cheap gift set, which kind of hurt. So, what I did was just concentrated on spending time with him rather than worrying about his parents. :/
    • Welcome Squad

did you ask him why he did not invite you?

(Original post by anonymouspie227)
    did you ask him why he did not invite you?
    he said it was his sister who booked the dinner (i have met his sister), but after explaining how i felt he realised he should have told them i was coming or he wasnt going to go
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by Anonymous)
    he said it was his sister who booked the dinner (i have met his sister), but after explaining how i felt he realised he should have told them i was coming or he wasnt going to go
    Nah, as soon as he found out that his sibling's girlfriends were coming etc, he should have insisted on you coming. Maybe he doesn't talk about your relationship a lot/ doesn't make it sound serious to his family?

(Original post by anonymouspie227)
    Nah, as soon as he found out that his sibling's girlfriends were coming etc, he should have insisted on you coming. Maybe he doesn't talk about your relationship a lot/ doesn't make it sound serious to his family?
    he said he didnt know what was happening because his family didnt tell him anything and he didnt know his sisters boyfriend was going until he was there. but i sort of feel like since she was organising it, and we have met and her boyfriend was obviously going..she should have considered me?

also for the present, his mum could see the gift my parents got him, and obviously saw the flowers i got her.. so its not really my boyfriends fault

ReputationRep:
    Is this the first time his family have excluded you or is this a repeated occurrence?

There could be many reasons for this.

First off maybe his family don't know you well enough or think your relationship is serious enough to invite you round to an xmas do (something traditionally meant for family). Especially if it has only been 6 months. It's easier for your parents to get along with your bf because he lives near you and has many opportunities to meet them. This is not the case for his family who are 2 hours away.

By the time they got your present perhaps they already booked the table and it was too late to change? Though don't see how this should be a problem so maybe they forgot.

To be fair if it were my brother's girlfriend I would just assume she wouldn't want to come because it's a new relationship and spending xmas dinner with the family is a big step.

I would excuse them this time around and not fret about it. Could be a genuine mistake. Try get your bf to find out what happened and then next time he goes visit his parents ask if you can tag along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Original post by HotCoco.)
    Is this the first time his family have excluded you or is this a repeated occurrence?

There could be many reasons for this.

First off maybe his family don't know you well enough or think your relationship is serious enough to invite you round to an xmas do (something traditionally meant for family). Especially if it has only been 6 months. It's easier for your parents to get along with your bf because he lives near you and has many opportunities to meet them. This is not the case for his family who are 2 hours away.

By the time they got your present perhaps they already booked the table and it was too late to change? Though don't see how this should be a problem so maybe they forgot.

To be fair if it were my brother's girlfriend I would just assume she wouldn't want to come because it's a new relationship and spending xmas dinner with the family is a big step.

I would excuse them this time around and not fret about it. Could be a genuine mistake. Try get your bf to find out what happened and then next time he goes visit his parents ask if you can tag along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well who are they to decide the relationship is serious? i have met his mum and his 2 sisters and i am constantly there with my boyfriend when his mother rings him which is several times a day and have spoken to her and she was involved in helping my boyfriend get my christmas presents..

if they were coming to a dinner where i live it makes sense to invite me this would have been the perfect opportunity for me to meet the family, i find it extremely rude that they didnt invite me especially since it was arranged by his sister who i know!!

the dinner was several weeks ago, they received my gift on christmas eve, i didnt see my boyfriend until today from earlier in the week, the family could have easily bought me a small acknowledgement gift.. but they didnt.

ReputationRep:
    It was a family do; were other partners invited or were you the only one excluded?

My boyfriend and I have been together for almost five years and it's only in the past two or three years that I've been invited to similar things with his family.
    Now, whenever he's invited somewhere, I'm invited too - and Christmas cards addressed to him also had my name in. Same for him - even my grandparents bought him Christmas presents. Just because it's taken a while for this to happen has never bothered me.

Six months isn't a very long time. Some families seem to accept partners into their bosom after a week. For others it takes a while. Don't take it personally.

ReputationRep:
    Well, his family just seem rude. Maybe they don't like you so they didn't invite you? It doesn't seem like they forgot about you seeing as they received the flowers before the dinner/were involved in your boyfriend buying you a gift.

It could be that they thought you'd want to spend time with your family during the holidays rather than his as its been 6 months? Didn't your boyfriend ask his sister after why she didn't invite you/tell him about it?

ReputationRep:
    They are being rude they probably have an issue with you or something

(Original post by TattyBoJangles)
    It was a family do; were other partners invited or were you the only one excluded?

My boyfriend and I have been together for almost five years and it's only in the past two or three years that I've been invited to similar things with his family.
    Now, whenever he's invited somewhere, I'm invited too - and Christmas cards addressed to him also had my name in. Same for him - even my grandparents bought him Christmas presents. Just because it's taken a while for this to happen has never bothered me.

Six months isn't a very long time. Some families seem to accept partners into their bosom after a week. For others it takes a while. Don't take it personally.
    other partners were invited.

where his family nice to you though? on top of all this his sisters dont seem to give two ****s and actually seem as if they go out of their way to be rude to me

(Original post by SophiaLDN)
    Well, his family just seem rude. Maybe they don't like you so they didn't invite you? It doesn't seem like they forgot about you seeing as they received the flowers before the dinner/were involved in your boyfriend buying you a gift.

It could be that they thought you'd want to spend time with your family during the holidays rather than his as its been 6 months? Didn't your boyfriend ask his sister after why she didn't invite you/tell him about it?
    yeah i think its rude too.. inviting me/buying me a gift is a different story but the vibe/impression i get off them is not nice..which is tough obviously his family are important to him so i can hardly tell him i dont like them.

when we finished talking about me not being invited, he said he was going to find out why i wasnt. but i didnt want to ask to see what they said because it was most likely 'tough ****'

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 2015
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.