Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My bof drives quite a big, expensive car for his age and is constantly getting pulled over for no good reasons.

Just wanted to know whether police are allowed to pull you over just for "routine checks"; i'm sure there not allowed according to PACE and such. B/c it starting to become ridiculous and its obvious that its discrimantion b/c they always ask the same questions i.e. " is this your car?"; "where'd you live" "What do you do?".

If this happens again, what do you suggest the best course of action be, i.e. ask the officer for a written reasons to why he chose to pull him over? ask for the officers name and department to report. B/c its just getting beyond pathetic and i don't think its fair that these ignorant officers are able to take the p!ss like this

ReputationRep:
    Just think, if your car was stolen and they pulled over someone and then caught him/got your car back, it's worth it. For every person they pull, only one in five may be dodgy (at a guess) but it's worth it still.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan)
    Just think, if your car was stolen and they pulled over someone and then caught him/got your car back, it's worth it. For every person they pull, only one in five may be dodgy (at a guess) but it's worth it still.
    noo i really don't think its worth it. Its soo unfair. It's not the actual act of getting pulled over but the principle and the reasons behind it. Its not nice to know that you have been a victim of discrimination based on how you look. Now if there was a policy to say stop every one hundred cars then fair play, then I would agree with the point you have made, but when you are being constantly picked out for no good reason, more so than the average person then I think something is serious wrong and unduly unjust.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Latayah)
    My bof drives quite a big, expensive car for his age and is constantly getting pulled over for no good reasons.
    I would say that any young person driving a car that they typically could not afford (both to buy/lease and insure) is unfortunately going to suffer from being pulled over repeatedly. My girlfriend had the same problem when she worked in a restaurant. Apparently any car leaving licenced premises at midnight, and sticking religiously to the speed limit ( as she always does ) is 9/10 times a drunk driver. It was annoying being the 1/10, but she saw why they kept pulling her over.

I believe the police need "reasonable suspicion", and the fact that he does not look like he could afford such a car is probably suspicion enough.

If he goes into the station and asks to speak to an inspector about the issue, you may find they circulate his details, and thus he is no longer automatically suspected of stealing the car, but he will probably get the best results if he keeps in his mind that the police are only doing their job, and he stays calm and polite.

It's almost certainly not personal, simply police equating young lad + big expensive car = no insurance or stolen car. For each time your boyfriend is pulled over, 5 or 6 chavs are put off the road by the same assumption.

ReputationRep:
    Quite frankly, as an uninsured and untaxed driver wrote off my car during the summer, I'd be delighted if the police pulled over as many drivers as possible in order to catch out those who are driving without any insurance, tax or even license. It's an insult to those of us who pay £1000s every year that such scum get away with driving so poorly, thereby posing a threat to everybody's safety. Apparantly 1 in 3 are uninsured, which is terrifying when you consider how many cars you pass when you do even a short journey.

On the other hand, one of my best guy mates who drives a very very swish Mini was pulled over the other day by police who didn't believe that it was his car (a gift from his parents). Although he found it rather annoying, he said the smugness and satisfaction he got from knowing it was his car was fab - and the look on the policemen's faces when they realised they'd pulled him over for no reason. He agreed with me though - if his car had been stolen, he'd be overjoyed if the police found it again through a 'routine' check. Plus, he'd rather than illegal drivers were kept off the road therefore protecting both his swanky car and himself.

ReputationRep:
    I've been pulled over twice and had my wheels checked, as a pparetnley I'm in the high risk catergory for wheelspinning and earning section 57's.

ReputationRep:
    Does he get pulled over in the same place(s) or is this just in general?
    Maybe he's just been unlucky? I doubt he's been specifically targetted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friggerpants)
    I've been pulled over twice and had my wheels checked, as a pparetnley I'm in the high risk catergory for wheelspinning and earning section 57's.
    http://www.hyperguide.co.uk/mha/s57.htm ?!?!?

i would recommend learning stop and search bits of legislation/PACE/the terrorism act just for kicks; definitely ask why youve been stopped and always get a 'receipt'

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, what car does he have? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Tell him to stop dressing like a chav and/or driving in dodgy areas at night then...

Being young in a nice car doesn't get you pulled over. It's mostly other factors.

ReputationRep:
    It's probably just the area. I've driven a Alfa 159 and Brera for a weekend (2 separate weekends). That's when they were fresh off the boat (They were press cars) Probably racked up 600 miles and didn't get stopped ONCE. Got a few suprised looks, but nothing more. I even drove past a police car at a good 90mph down a great little A road....I **** myself but nothing happened.

This week i've been driving the new Punto (Sporting). 300 miles so far and nothing.

It probably is how your dressed, how your driving and where you are

ReputationRep:
    Wheelspinning isn't an arrestable offence is it? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    It's an offence that will make them have a word. Could be classed as dangerous driving if it looked intentional

ReputationRep:
    Is he black?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    http://www.hyperguide.co.uk/mha/s57.htm ?!?!?

i would recommend learning stop and search bits of legislation/PACE/the terrorism act just for kicks; definitely ask why youve been stopped and always get a 'receipt'

59, sorry. THe one were you're basically being a prat with your car.

ReputationRep:
    Learn the rules and regulations and then play hardball if you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jojo72)
    Learn the rules and regulations and then play hardball if you want.

If you're talking to me, I'd shut up mate. I don't wanna play hardball. I'm a good drive, don't **** about.

ReputationRep:
    If you're talking to me, I'd shut up mate. I don't wanna play hardball. I'm a good drive, don't **** about.

lol, nuff said.

My post wasn't aimed at you - but I can imagine wha tsort of person you are.

ReputationRep:
    I think he meant the OP you self obsessed gimp

edit: not aimed at you jojo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernova2)
    I think he meant the OP you self obsessed gimp

edit: not aimed at you jojo

Suck my root.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.