Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

There's gotta be more to life.. (srs thread) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protégé)
    I feel like that but that's only because I've been depressed for a couple years. Before that I was really enjoying life. Still, I know that I'm not doing anything fulfillig right now, but after I grt a job and get into a serious relationship that'll be a whole different story.
    I call them distractions. But distractions in a good way. Good luck and cheer up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white boy)
    can't say that picture doesn't make me laugh :lol:
    Anyway I don't think there's more to life. You've just gotta stop looking at what you ain't got and start being thankful for what you do got.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Judge Jasel)
    I call them distractions. But distractions in a good way. Good luck and cheer up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you.

I don't know about that, even though I'm still kind of afraid of commitment I've always seen having a happy and successful family to be the height that I want to reach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fideo)
    Anyway I don't think there's more to life. You've just gotta stop looking at what you ain't got and start being thankful for what you do got.
    that's very familiar and i will soon remember where i know that from

ReputationRep:
    Thank you.

I don't know about that, even though I'm still kind of afraid of commitment I've always seen having a happy and successful family to be the height that I want to reach.
    No one can decide that. You'll have to pick the time that you think is right or when you're ready. But from what I'm reading, it sounds like a good plan.

For me, I'm more afraid of being alone. You end up feeling empty, and you start to lose feelings for things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    it def is a bit of a 1/4 life crisis.. having always been used to having an obvious thing to aim at. getting whatever exam results, getting into wherever, doing this and that.. you hit "real life" and it's a bit like.. ok is this it?
    Your sum up is actually pretty good and by that I mean relevant to me

Thing to remember is the "real" world doesn't care about us and we are massively insignificant. Isn't that all the more reason to make the most of it?

ReputationRep:
    that's very familiar and i will soon remember where i know that from
    Try not to worry about it all and just live your life.

ReputationRep:
    No one can decide that. You'll have to pick the time that you think is right or when you're ready. But from what I'm reading, it sounds like a good plan.

For me, I'm more afraid of being alone. You end up feeling empty, and you start to lose feelings for things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I've always wanted to be a family man from a young age. Even if I was very scared of marriage. :P

I don't think loneliness is the worst thing that can happen but it's not anything good either. Depends on what you consider lonely.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like that but that's only because I've been depressed for a couple years. Before that I was really enjoying life. Still, I know that I'm not doing anything fulfillig right now, but after I grt a job and get into a serious relationship that'll be a whole different story.
    protip: do not rely on relationship to cure depression bruh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
    protip: do not rely on relationship to cure depression bruh
    Thanks, but I don't plan on starting a relationship until after I get out of depression, though sometimes the line seems pretty blurry since I can feel happy in general but just constantly think about the past.

ReputationRep:
    there's gotta be more to life.. than chasing down every temporary high..

seriously though

when unoccupied and without distractions, doesn't anyone else just feel very empty/****/underwhelmed like .. is this it?

you think you want something (material or otherwise).. you chase it.. but then you get it and it wasn't what you built it up to be so you start chasing something else and you never really end up feeling better than before..

:indiff:
    "Then did you think that We created you uselessly and that to Us you would not be returned?"
    Quran 23:115

"And the life of this world is nothing but play and amusement"
    Quran 6:32

[He] who created death and life to test you [as to] which of you is best in deed – and He is the Exalted in Might, the Forgiving. [Quran, 67:2]

Say (O Muhammad): He is God [Who is] One, God, the Eternal Refuge. He neither begets nor is born, nor is there to Him any equivalent. [Quran, 112]

Open the Quran and see why more and more people in the West are choosing Islam as a way of life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaffacake111)
    Your sum up is actually pretty good and by that I mean relevant to me

Thing to remember is the "real" world doesn't care about us and we are massively insignificant. Isn't that all the more reason to make the most of it?
    yeah you are right. maybe i need to make some changes.

ReputationRep:
    I see where you're coming from. I guess there ought to be... Sometimes I end up thinking what is our purpose? To make things better and forward humanity? Then what is humanity's purpose? We all die eventually, and our civilization will die out too. There's got to be a reason we're all here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Life's biggest question, it's been asked for thousands of years. Generally there's 1 of 2 things to do, either trying and focus on life to forget the question or you can read into philosophies and religions which try and give an answer for people who can't forget for long

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noura*)
    "Then did you think that We created you uselessly and that to Us you would not be returned?"
    Quran 23:115

"And the life of this world is nothing but play and amusement"
    Quran 6:32

[He] who created death and life to test you [as to] which of you is best in deed – and He is the Exalted in Might, the Forgiving. [Quran, 67:2]

Say (O Muhammad): He is God [Who is] One, God, the Eternal Refuge. He neither begets nor is born, nor is there to Him any equivalent. [Quran, 112]

Open the Quran and see why more and more people in the West are choosing Islam as a way of life.
    if i was going to turn to religion it'd be christianity mate. makes sense. i already know all the main characters and storylines.

ReputationRep:
    if i was going to turn to religion it'd be christianity mate. makes sense. i already know all the main characters and storylines.
    And his point about more people choosing Islam in the west is a lie

ReputationRep:
    My main goal in this life is to enjoy it and not regret it. I don't really see a reason for needing something more. Goals are nice to have because it gives us purpose but after we reach them we look for something else to achieve, it will always be a circle.

After we die we're never going to have this same consciousness so all I want to do is spend this one life right. It makes me sad sometimes when I realise I won't be able to do the things I like (eat, listen to music, travel) but that reminds me to not take this life for granted.

(Sorry if I didn't make sense- I'm tired)

ReputationRep:
    Nope, there isn't.

Imo life has no meaning, value or purpose.
    Any attempts to give it so are time-wasting exercises.
    People find it difficult to grasp the concept that they're here for no reason at all - or find it too daunting a burden to live with the idea that their lives, everyone they care about and the universe as they know it just is.

Or isn't. Who knows?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xtenshiai)
    My main goal in this life is to enjoy it and not regret it. I don't really see a reason for needing something more. Goals are nice to have because it gives us purpose but after we reach them we look for something else to achieve, it will always be a circle.

After we die we're never going to have this same consciousness so all I want to do is spend this one life right. It makes me sad sometimes when I realise I won't be able to do the things I like (eat, listen to music, travel) but that reminds me to not take this life for granted.

(Sorry if I didn't make sense- I'm tired)
    you made sense. i think sometimes happiness is a lot simpler in theory than in practice though.

ReputationRep:
    But you should turn to religion- because it's gives the best and most logical explanation.
    Imagine you suddenly (out of nowhere) found yourself on a plane in a first class seat, with the best food and drink, best entertainment, will you honestly be happy? You have no idea about where you've come from or where you're going, but at the moment you are in absolute luxury. Will you be happy? Of course not! These essential questions are enough to disrupt your happiness and bring worry and depression. We are thinking human beings and not animals and we were made to ask and think about these questions. However, you can say YOLO and act like everything is hunky dory but deep down you will never taste true happiness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noura*)
    But you should turn to religion- because it's gives the best and most logical explanation.
    Imagine you suddenly (out of nowhere) found yourself on a plane in a first class seat, with the best food and drink, best entertainment, will you honestly be happy? You have no idea about where you've come from or where you're going, but at the moment you are in absolute luxury. Will you be happy? Of course not! These essential questions are enough to disrupt your happiness and bring worry and depression. We are thinking human beings and not animals and we were made to ask and think about these questions. However, you can say YOLO and act like everything is hunky dory but deep down you will never taste true happiness.
    ok thanks for that

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.