Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

There's gotta be more to life.. (srs thread) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white boy)
    if i was going to turn to religion it'd be christianity mate. makes sense. i already know all the main characters and storylines.
    As a Muslim you have to believe in all the Prophets of Christianity. The virgin birth of Jesus (Peace be upon him) and Noah (Peace be upon him) and the ark etc are in the Qur’an.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protégé)
    Thanks, but I don't plan on starting a relationship until after I get out of depression, though sometimes the line seems pretty blurry since I can feel happy in general but just constantly think about the past.
    I'm largely the same man. We're all gonna make it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student296)
    As a Muslim you have to believe in all the Prophets of Christianity. The virgin birth of Jesus (Peace be upon him) and Noah (Peace be upon him) and the ark etc are in the Qur’an.
    that's not enough mate. it's a bit like how the cleveland show still has some of the characters from family guy, but it's a bit ****. rather watch family guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaiju)
    Nope, there isn't.

Imo life has no meaning, value or purpose.
    Any attempts to give it so are time-wasting exercises.
    People find it difficult to grasp the concept that they're here for no reason at all - or find it too daunting a burden to live with the idea that their lives, everyone they care about and the universe as they know it just is.

Or isn't. Who knows?
    This is the thing though. You can't just live your life saying 'maybe, maybe not'.
    Let's just say there is a judgement day, accountability, a God etc. When the creator asks you why didn't you follow the message I sent etc, what are you going say? "Erm, I wasn't really sure?" You've been given a whole LIFETIME to find out these things. The answers are there, you just have to look for them.
    "We will show them our answers within the horizons and within themselves until it becomes clear to them that this is the truth."

ReputationRep:
    that's not enough mate. it's a bit like how the cleveland show still has some of the characters from family guy, but it's a bit ****. rather watch family guy.
    If you want to believe God had a Son or needs to eat and sleep that is up to you.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to believe God had a Son or needs to eat and sleep that is up to you.
    it certainly is

ReputationRep:
    I have always liked this quote by Albert Camus and feel it is quite relevant.

"You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SBKA)
    I have always liked this quote by Albert Camus and feel it is quite relevant.

"You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life"

i find myself wondering if these philosopher's were happy people

i do like the quote though so thanks for sharing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noura*)
    This is the thing though. You can't just live your life saying 'maybe, maybe not'.
    Let's just say there is a judgement day, accountability, a God etc. When the creator asks you why didn't you follow the message I sent etc, what are you going say? "Erm, I wasn't really sure?" You've been given a whole LIFETIME to find out these things. The answers are there, you just have to look for them.
    "We will show them our answers within the horizons and within themselves until it becomes clear to them that this is the truth."
    You can listen to a message passed down by dudes who received it from other dudes who read it in a book some other dudes wrote

I'm cool with my own rules tyvm

ReputationRep:

You're welcome

I think with many philosophers once they started to understand the world more they also became more happy. Of course this is not always the case.

ReputationRep:
    I love how the route followed!

Hey these are big questions, maybe give religion a look and see if you get them?

Oh you don't like my religion? But there are points where we agree!

Your religion is wrong. Mine is right.

Classic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scrappy-coco)
    I love how the route followed!

Hey these are big questions, maybe give religion a look and see if you get them?

Oh you don't like my religion? But there are points where we agree!

Your religion is wrong. Mine is right.

Classic.
    Classic indeed.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:

As someone who reads a tonne of philosophy myself. Like I was saying earlier; I find that philosophy brings me happiness. Not the end of knowledge or "truth" because I don't even think that's feasible but just the pathway of philosophising in and of itself. That and artistic beauty/creation mostly in the form of music keep me going.

ReputationRep:
    there's gotta be more to life.. than chasing down every temporary high..

seriously though

when unoccupied and without distractions, doesn't anyone else just feel very empty/****/underwhelmed like .. is this it?

you think you want something (material or otherwise).. you chase it.. but then you get it and it wasn't what you built it up to be so you start chasing something else and you never really end up feeling better than before..

:indiff:
    meanwhile u pay ur taxes and buy/rent a crappy house near your place of work so you can commute less so it's easier to collect your salary which is then taxed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Judge Jasel)
    I see where you're coming from. I guess there ought to be... Sometimes I end up thinking what is our purpose? To make things better and forward humanity? Then what is humanity's purpose? We all die eventually, and our civilization will die out too. There's got to be a reason we're all here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I like where this thread is going, please could you expand on what you are saying?

My personal opinion is that we live for ourselves. That doesn't mean that all we strive for is pleasure or material gain or whatnot but that we only do in fact care about is our own happiness. I've recently had a life experience where I learnt how life can go wrong and it is quite simple. It's analogous to sport imo which is probably why it is so popular but apparently so futile.

I can explain my take on it if you'd like or in general just discuss it further because it is very interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    As someone who reads a tonne of philosophy myself. Like I was saying earlier; I find that philosophy brings me happiness. Not the end of knowledge or "truth" because I don't even think that's feasible but just the pathway of philosophising in and of itself. That and artistic beauty/creation mostly in the form of music keep me going.
    This. I believe philosophy takes different forms. You can study it as the academics do, in writing and ordered structures of thought, or as the artists do, in masterpieces and expressive compositions and such, or as the laymen do, in conversation and sharing life experiences with others.

Truth is an interesting concept. I agree that I don't think it's feasible to try to get a hold of it but perhaps it is better to know that it is there and sometimes you are close and that's all that matters.

ReputationRep:
    there's gotta be more to life.. than chasing down every temporary high..

seriously though

when unoccupied and without distractions, doesn't anyone else just feel very empty/****/underwhelmed like .. is this it?

you think you want something (material or otherwise).. you chase it.. but then you get it and it wasn't what you built it up to be so you start chasing something else and you never really end up feeling better than before..

:indiff:
    I've found that being curious about the world and eager in learning will take you a long way. If you really think about it, most people are disatisfied with their life because they haven't made an effort to enrich it and because the society we live in is too materialistic. People feel depressed and empty because since we were children we've been thrown into an inhuman system so in the end we become used to function like robots while we should instead be free to live according to our conscience. If you want to make a change for the better, don't expect anyone but yourself to make that happen. It takes responsiblity, time and courage but the process of learning and of un-becoming all you are not to become who you are pays off greatly. There's no greater freedom than being yourself, knowing why you have chosen to be who you are and being proud about it.

You can find a lot by throwing yourself into the arts, by reading and paying notice to the world. Cultivating yourself and finding out about your passions would help you a lot. Don't ever give up and think that life is only the version society throws into our face all the time; school-university-job-family etc. You can create your life the way you want to and live according to your spirit. It's difficult, it's a risk and you sacrifice a lot but it's not impossible, i mean it's such a big cost and damage being untrue to yourself and values by living a life they have indiretly made you opt for. We have one life and while we know that we keep being mentally enslaved. Happiness is a personal choice, as cliche as that may sound. The world despite being cruel and full of unfairness hides so much beauty too! There is so much to discover, it's much fuller and more intriguing than you may think! It could be an adventure if only we dared a little more, if we stepped out of our comfort zone, if we really lived and felt alive, to be crazy and ourselves. But many a time we get cynical and depressed and anaesthetize our feelings for fear of having our hearts broken. But pain is a sign of life, it's a pity to live without feeling and experiencing life as a whole. Everyone gets through hard times but we shouldn't let these times get the best out of us! What we gotta do is stand up and be tougher than life. It can't break you if you don't let it. It's all in the mind, all in the mind.

I firlmy believe that every person can change their life for the better if only they really want to and make constant efforts about it. It takes time and it's hard work to find yourself, who you are, where you belong etc and that's an on going process. If we lived truly in the moment and weren't thinking about past or future we would be much happier and more relaxed. Allow yourself to be vulnerable and express your feelings but also manage to be strong and not let situations drown you. It's all about the journey, the journey is the Ithaca you've been looking for, there is no final destination because after each goal you achieve there's a higher mountain to climb and so on. Being present, in the moment, in awe, appreciating the fact that you are alive is something to motivate and inspire you. Ultimately, it's up to you to give meaning in your life.

I dearly hope to have helped a bit you and anyone else feeling empty at times.

ReputationRep:
    The trick to life is, when you got something that makes you feel content and happy, don't let yourself be fooled into wanting other things that you know yourself know are not as valuable as the thing you got, because once you lose the thing you got you will feel much worse than empty, you will feel regretful and empty.

That thing could be a fantastic relationship with your parents, Hang on to that it is really valuable.

it could be your health, don't mess it up by doing drugs, drinking irresponsibly etc just because you saw some movies and thought it might be fun.

It could be simply being yourself, some people feel an urge to change for others, to fit in or become cool, so they throw away pieces of the character one by one, until they finally fit in, but then they don't really like the feeling of fitting in and they start to notice something is missing, they threw it away and now they lost.

ReputationRep:
    Y'all need Jesus.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.