There's gotta be more to life.. (srs thread) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cdude)
    Y'all need Jesus.
    One problem- God isn't real.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    I like where this thread is going, please could you expand on what you are saying?

My personal opinion is that we live for ourselves. That doesn't mean that all we strive for is pleasure or material gain or whatnot but that we only do in fact care about is our own happiness. I've recently had a life experience where I learnt how life can go wrong and it is quite simple. It's analogous to sport imo which is probably why it is so popular but apparently so futile.

I can explain my take on it if you'd like or in general just discuss it further because it is very interesting.
    Omigosh! Sorry, I missed it. In answer to your discussion, my opinion is that yes, while we live only for ourselves because ultimately, we a re selfish creatures, we are also born to live in groups, and whatever is seen as a way to forward our community, we carry it out, while looking for ways to benefit us as individuals. But at the same time, where does that ultimately lead us? If you take out religion, we live, succeed, help those around us, die, then what? It's kinda like a huge build-up in a film, only ending in an anticlimax. We work so hard and gain what ultimately? Why don't humans just suddenly one day stop reproducing and doing any work? If you don't mind, could you explain your view further? I sorta get what you mean, but... dunno. I guess I just want to clarify and not misunderstand you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Judge Jasel)
    Why don't humans just suddenly one day stop reproducing and doing any work? If you don't mind, could you explain your view further? I sorta get what you mean, but... dunno. I guess I just want to clarify and not misunderstand you.
    I think that this topic is always interesting to discuss even though there might never be an 'outcome' per se. Does having a definite outcome matter to the worth of something? Think about sport, lets take football as an example. Yes, so every year we have one team lift the cup and be declared champions but so what? Next year that same team will have to try just as hard if not much harder to stay in the league and the cycle never ends. So is lifting the trophy really the be all and end all? I think the answer is no, and this is similar to life in a way as there is no way to 'win' at life, but just by staying 'up there' you can't do much better that that.

I believe that the reason humans still continue to live is very trivial and explained well by scientific theory. It only takes one couple to start reproducing for the human race to survive, and there are strong pressures which are present in all humans to forward their genes etc.

So after all this is considered, does humanity really still need a 'purpose' to justify its existence? Well no, not really imo. Ultimately, there is no answer to what comes next. It is a meaningless question and we as individuals get what we get from life and can't say we deserve anything more. Should this affect our lives? Again. I think not and I think we are built to try to satisfy a self-interest inside us whatever we try and convince ourselves otherwise and we will continue to do so for as long as we can.

Hope I've explained myself a bit better, if you've got any more specific questions fire away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    I think that this topic is always interesting to discuss even though there might never be an 'outcome' per se. Does having a definite outcome matter to the worth of something? Think about sport, lets take football as an example. Yes, so every year we have one team lift the cup and be declared champions but so what? Next year that same team will have to try just as hard if not much harder to stay in the league and the cycle never ends. So is lifting the trophy really the be all and end all? I think the answer is no, and this is similar to life in a way as there is no way to 'win' at life, but just by staying 'up there' you can't do much better that that.

I believe that the reason humans still continue to live is very trivial and explained well by scientific theory. It only takes one couple to start reproducing for the human race to survive, and there are strong pressures which are present in all humans to forward their genes etc.

So after all this is considered, does humanity really still need a 'purpose' to justify its existence? Well no, not really imo. Ultimately, there is no answer to what comes next. It is a meaningless question and we as individuals get what we get from life and can't say we deserve anything more. Should this affect our lives? Again. I think not and I think we are built to try to satisfy a self-interest inside us whatever we try and convince ourselves otherwise and we will continue to do so for as long as we can.

Hope I've explained myself a bit better, if you've got any more specific questions fire away
    Ahhhh, I see where you're coming from. Well, here's a counterargument. The football analogy you used... with regards to what is the ultimate goal (ie trophy lifting) that is a goal set by humans for humans. Doesn't really apply in life simply because even if there is a goal, we can't see one. True if you're "up there" there's not much else you can do, because no god would create a stone so heavy even He cannot lift it. And what I mean by that is mankind cannot create situations ir girls where they transcend themselves. Everything for us is achievable, no matter how small the probability.

True, having no purpose might seem the best answer, but is it really the only answer? There has to be a reason for everything. Otherwise one day we can all sit and rot away until we die, and if we serve no purpose, the loss of our existence shouldn't matter should it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SBKA)
    I have always liked this quote by Albert Camus and feel it is quite relevant.

"You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life"

:congrats:

this quote... Wow... as OP said before, i'ma reiterate that: Thank You for this quote my brother xD

and OP; i'm in the same boat as you tbh, but as each time, i wonder about life and if the whole: 'school-job-family' thing was all there is to life.. gets me in a sorta depressing mood ngl..

these are the thoughts that occupy my mind and keep me up late at night... before making me wonder if i've lost said mind..
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    It's very easy for life to be underwhelming if it's left to be that way. It's a lot of work to achieve a life that has a lot of meaning to you - something that can make you smile and leave you feeling satisfied when you're alone and asking these questions.

Much of society seems geared to supply us with ephemeral pleasures and distractions, and we pay to have them because they feel good for a little while, but let's be honest, most of it's junk. We buy as big a house as we can afford, then fill it with stuff we can't. Everyone's house is teeming with it, everywhere you look, most of it going unused. All the things we buy we think they'll improve our lives, but the more we buy the more obvious the absence of what we were looking for becomes.

The answer to this kind of problem is to face it head on. It's harder to live a meaningful life than to buy a new plasma. But it's important if you want to fill the void where you feel there should be something more.

ReputationRep:
    "Every possession and every happiness is but lent by chance for an uncertain time, and may therefore be demanded back the next hour."

"The two enemies of human happiness are pain and boredom."

-Sir Arthur Charles Clarke-

So are you now in pain or just getting bored? And you don't know how to deal with it?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My view.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white boy)
    there's gotta be more to life.. than chasing down every temporary high..

seriously though

when unoccupied and without distractions, doesn't anyone else just feel very empty/****/underwhelmed like .. is this it?

you think you want something (material or otherwise).. you chase it.. but then you get it and it wasn't what you built it up to be so you start chasing something else and you never really end up feeling better than before..

:indiff:
    you do know that song was a plot by the Roman Catholic Church to brainwash early Noughties tweens into embracing Christianity using Stacey Oricco as their secret ambassador of the younger generation right bruh

ReputationRep:
    You should try eating lamb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
    you do know that song was a plot by the Roman Catholic Church to brainwash early Noughties tweens into embracing Christianity using Stacey Oricco as their secret ambassador of the younger generation right bruh
    didn't know this. still a banger.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhh, I see where you're coming from. Well, here's a counterargument. The football analogy you used... with regards to what is the ultimate goal (ie trophy lifting) that is a goal set by humans for humans. Doesn't really apply in life simply because even if there is a goal, we can't see one. True if you're "up there" there's not much else you can do, because no god would create a stone so heavy even He cannot lift it. And what I mean by that is mankind cannot create situations ir girls where they transcend themselves. Everything for us is achievable, no matter how small the probability.

True, having no purpose might seem the best answer, but is it really the only answer? There has to be a reason for everything. Otherwise one day we can all sit and rot away until we die, and if we serve no purpose, the loss of our existence shouldn't matter should it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm in agreement with you, I didn't say that football has an ultimate goal, and if there is one I don't know anyone who claims they can see it. I think I understand your second point that if there is a God He wouldn't allow us to surpass Him, but so what?

Can you define what you are trying to say the last paragraph? Only answer, best answer - what is the difference? Matter to whom? Matter to what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    I'm in agreement with you, I didn't say that football has an ultimate goal, and if there is one I don't know anyone who claims they can see it. I think I understand your second point that if there is a God He wouldn't allow us to surpass Him, but so what?

Can you define what you are trying to say the last paragraph? Only answer, best answer - what is the difference? Matter to whom? Matter to what?
    We agree on something. God won't allow us to surpass him isn't my real point. What I'm saying is, is that sure we can't surpass God. But isn't that a goal? Why don't we try to be gods? Because... we don't know how. We set our own goals because we can't set something can't achieve. Just like how God won't make a stone so heavy he can't lift.

(that may new make less sense to you than before. )

With regards to the final paragraph, when you said even if we had no pirpose we still carry on or similar, maybe having no real purpose is the best answer we can give ourselves. After all, we all have worries, not just questions about the infinitesimal. But if someone sat and thought about it all, for long enough, do we really serve no purpose? (not rhetorical, since I myself don't know the answer). Like above, there may be a reason why we're here, but we don't know it. It may or may not matter depending on your view. Does having an ultimate known goal make you strive harder? Or maybe you'd think "if that's what I'll get then meh"? But I don't know. I'm just another guy with too many questions about the known universe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We agree on something. God won't allow us to surpass him isn't my real point. What I'm saying is, is that sure we can't surpass God. But isn't that a goal? Why don't we try to be gods? Because... we don't know how. We set our own goals because we can't set something can't achieve. Just like how God won't make a stone so heavy he can't lift.

(that may new make less sense to you than before. )

With regards to the final paragraph, when you said even if we had no pirpose we still carry on or similar, maybe having no real purpose is the best answer we can give ourselves. After all, we all have worries, not just questions about the infinitesimal. But if someone sat and thought about it all, for long enough, do we really serve no purpose? (not rhetorical, since I myself don't know the answer). Like above, there may be a reason why we're here, but we don't know it. It may or may not matter depending on your view. Does having an ultimate known goal make you strive harder? Or maybe you'd think "if that's what I'll get then meh"? But I don't know. I'm just another guy with too many questions about the known universe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think you're right about what you said in the brackets . Maybe it's just me but I see no reason why we can't set goals we can't achieve. How do you know that we are not in fact trying our absolute best to be like gods? I don't see how you can talk about what God can and will do like you know he exists when for all we know he doesn't.

My view is that it doesn't matter if there is an ultimate goal or whatever. How can it matter? If there is and we don't know it then there's nothing we can do. If we do know it then we will follow it otherwise it is not ultimate in any sense. The obvious assumption here is the notion of free will. If we know we are supposed to be doing something, why would we not do it? Why would we be created to do something only some of the time. No other creation or invention does this and if we have a creator I don't think he would err on the basic design of his creation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    I think you're right about what you said in the brackets . Maybe it's just me but I see no reason why we can't set goals we can't achieve. How do you know that we are not in fact trying our absolute best to be like gods? I don't see how you can talk about what God can and will do like you know he exists when for all we know he doesn't.

My view is that it doesn't matter if there is an ultimate goal or whatever. How can it matter? If there is and we don't know it then there's nothing we can do. If we do know it then we will follow it otherwise it is not ultimate in any sense. The obvious assumption here is the notion of free will. If we know we are supposed to be doing something, why would we not do it? Why would we be created to do something only some of the time. No other creation or invention does this and if we have a creator I don't think he would err on the basic design of his creation.
    Fair enough. Duly noted. Like I said, I don't know everything, if I did, I wouldn't have asked questions. But this is my take on things. Whether or not we serve a purpose or whether there is an "ultimate goal"...well, we'll either find out in due course or we never will.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufx-nf_6IRY

What are your thoughts, white boy?

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.