Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

A bit of an awkward situation, would like to hear some advice Watch

I'm a 25 year old guy, otherwise living/working in London but I've gone home for the holidays.

I've been using Tinder and have out of pure luck found a match in my home town....and she wants to hook up (her place). She has also said that I'll be staying over for the night. This is all totally awesome but I'm not sure how exactly to tell my parents that "hey I'm going to hook up with this girl tonight, back tomorrow morning and I'm taking the car".

Now obviously I'm grown up and all that and can do what I want but it still feels a bit weird. Anyone have any tips?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be disclosing that to my parents either. Then again, maybe its different for girls.

Could you not say you have a night out and are staying at a friends?
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Hate lying to the parents but could you not say you're off doing something else? Like staying at a mate's house or something?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah as above if you're not comfortable telling your parents then say you're going to a friends.

(Original post by SophieSmall)
    Yeah as above if you're not comfortable telling your parents then say you're going to a friends.
    It's a small place, I wouldn't be far from home. Plus I don't have many friends left at home. Plus in principle I don't want to lie to my parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It's a small place, I wouldn't be far from home. Plus I don't have many friends left at home. Plus in principle I don't want to lie to my parents.
    Well then if you refuse to lie you clearly have no choice other than to tell them the truth or not go to this girls house.

ReputationRep:
    Can you not just say you have a date?

Sure it's an uncomfortable thing to subtly infer sex to your parents but you are 25 years old for goodness sake.

Tell them you have a date (so it doesn't sound so "bad") and that they shouldn't wait up for you - it might be a late one.

Then they'll obviously know you stayed at hers when you don't come home - and if your parents are normal then they'll just know what happened and no need to talk about it.

ReputationRep:
    OP, I don't trust dating sites. If you are really sure about this... get ready to be abducted

(Original post by shawn_o1)
    OP, I don't trust dating sites. If you are really sure about this... get ready to be abducted
    Are you for real?

In any case, I don't live in Somalia where this is an issue. And I'm 189cm and 108kg so anyone bigger/stronger than me would have to be a pro athlete.

(Original post by lou_100)
    Can you not just say you have a date?

Sure it's an uncomfortable thing to subtly infer sex to your parents but you are 25 years old for goodness sake.

Tell them you have a date (so it doesn't sound so "bad") and that they shouldn't wait up for you - it might be a late one.

Then they'll obviously know you stayed at hers when you don't come home - and if your parents are normal then they'll just know what happened and no need to talk about it.
    Yeah that's what I'll probably do, say it's a date and say I'm not sure when I'm home.

ReputationRep:
    Just say you're going to see a friend... I hate lying to my mum, so I usually say I'm seeing a friend. Make sure you're 100% sure about staying over.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 27, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.