Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My bof drives quite a big, expensive car for his age and is constantly getting pulled over for no good reasons.

Just wanted to know whether police are allowed to pull you over just for "routine checks"; i'm sure there not allowed according to PACE and such. B/c it starting to become ridiculous and its obvious that its discrimantion b/c they always ask the same questions i.e. " is this your car?"; "where'd you live" "What do you do?".

If this happens again, what do you suggest the best course of action be, i.e. ask the officer for a written reasons to why he chose to pull him over? ask for the officers name and department to report. B/c its just getting beyond pathetic and i don't think its fair that these ignorant officers are able to take the p!ss like this
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The police are perfectly allowed to pull you over for a routine check.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl1982)
    The police are perfectly allowed to pull you over for a routine check.
    a routine check of what? thats BS!!

So a system where the police are able to exercise discrimination based on the outward characteristics of a person

When there is no reason which suggests that the driver has done anything wrong. So when does it become illegal for them to stop you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Latayah)
    My bof drives quite a big, expensive car for his age and is constantly getting pulled over for no good reasons.
    quite a big, expensive car for his age this is the reason.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh course they are. Get over it.

ReputationRep:
    a routine check of what? thats BS!!

So a system where the police are able to exercise discrimination based on the outward characteristics of a person

When there is no reason which suggests that the driver has done anything wrong. So when does it become illegal for them to stop you?

it's not prejudice.often they check 1 in however many cars. not everything's abt prejudice and discrimination.

also, outward characteristics can be a clue. young men are more likely to be driving a stolen car than older men for instance. statistical fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_e_x)
    Yeh course they are. Get over it.
    Get over it?? what the hell. Who are YOU to tell me to get over something which you obviously have not been a constant victim of such discrimination. Obviviously you conform to the average/ acepted type of person who could do no wrong. So until you are able to fully realise what its like to be a victim of discrimination. GO TO HELL!!!

ReputationRep:
    if you want people to comment in your thread accept that some people won't be saying what you want to hear. YOUNG MEN COMMIT MORE CRIME SO IT MAKES SENSE TO CHECK THEIR CARS MORE REGULARLY!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spig)
    it's not prejudice.often they check 1 in however many cars. not everything's abt prejudice and discrimination.

also, outward characteristics can be a clue. young men are more likely to be driving a stolen car than older men for instance. statistical fact.
    I dont think you are able to say it is not prejudice, if you knew the amount of times he has been pulled over.. its ludicris absoluetly unforgiveable. So whats with the unnecessary questions, unnecessary attitude that goes along with this so- called routine checks?

These things just get swept under the carpet because of the thoughts of ignorant people like B_e_x.

ReputationRep:
    Get over it?? what the hell. Who are YOU to tell me to get over something which you obviously have not been a constant victim of such discrimination. Obviviously you conform to the average/ acepted type of person who could do no wrong. So until you are able to fully realise what its like to be a victim of discrimination. GO TO HELL!!!
    everyone's been a victim of discrimination before.
    this really isn't discrimination though. you could view it as prejudice i guess. but how exactly people expect police to operate without some degree of 'pre-judging' is beyond me. their 'stereotyping' is based on evidence regarding which types of people generally commit a certain crime. it is not totally arbitrary. therefore they are maximising their chances of getting a justified arrest.

your bf gets stopped for 5 minutes, then can leave.

ReputationRep:
    no need to have a go at BEX like that.. it's her opinion on the matter..

he is quite likely to get pulled up if he drives a big car.. most parents don't buy their offspring a range rover or what have you.. my dad tells me quite frequently that i'm 'lucky to have a corsa' because he could've got me a van like he hadfor his first car.

and the police are pulling your boyfriend over NOT you.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think you are able to say it is not prejudice, if you knew the amount of times he has been pulled over.. its ludicris absoluetly unforgiveable. So whats with the unnecessary questions, unnecessary attitude that goes along with this so- called routine checks?

These things just get swept under the carpet because of the thoughts of ignorant people like B_e_x.
    oh, yeah. totally agree with you abt some policemen's attitude. they think they're superheros in those uniforms!! it gives them a power-trip, no doubt abt it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spig)
    if you want people to comment in your thread accept that some people won't be saying what you want to hear. YOUNG MEN COMMIT MORE CRIME SO IT MAKES SENSE TO CHECK THEIR CARS MORE REGULARLY!!!!!!!!!

I understand that, but in places outside of the primary school playground where some people obvisiously still need to be, I think abit of respect is due despite differing opinions. Obviously everyone has differing opinions and thats great; but as we are no longer 5 year olds; it doesn't hurt in the slighest to be express your dissenting views with a tad bit of courtsey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by floss)
    no need to have a go at BEX like that.. it's her opinion on the matter..

he is quite likely to get pulled up if he drives a big car.. most parents don't buy their offspring a range rover or what have you.. my dad tells me quite frequently that i'm 'lucky to have a corsa' because he could've got me a van like he hadfor his first car.

and the police are pulling your boyfriend over NOT you.

this is what i was saying. they go by things they know such as the fact that most parents don't buy kids these kinds of cars. a lot of kids who are stopped when driving these cars ARE driving a stolen car. your bf isn't one of them, but that's just how it is.

ReputationRep:
    I understand that, but in places outside of the primary school playground where some people obvisiously still need to be, I think abit of respect is due despite differing opinions. Obviously everyone has differing opinions and thats great; but as we are no longer 5 year olds; it doesn't hurt in the slighest to be express your dissenting views with a tad bit of courtsey.

yeah i agree. i always say why i disagree with an opinion.

ReputationRep:
    tbh pulling someone over because they look dodgy is as good a reason as any. alot of arrests are made by traffic police doing this kind of thing because they often find that the car is stolen or the person is transporting drugs. your bf may have to spend 5 mins being checked but wouldnt he rather that happen and the police catch someone when his car gets stolen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steve2005)
    quite a big, expensive car for his age this is the reason.
    Nonsense. I've been driving a Jag since I was 18 (admittedly the parents') and the only time I ever got pulled over was at 2am in a small town where the police clearly had nothing else to do and assumed that because I was looking a bit lost that I was probably pissed.

Don't look like a chav. That's how not to get pulled over.

(Original post by Spig)
    I wonder if this would be said with so much conviction if the OP's boyfriend was a black man.

ReputationRep:
    l.o.l

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lib North)
    Nonsense. I've been driving a Jag since I was 18 (admittedly the parents') and the only time I ever got pulled over was at 2am in a small town where the police clearly had nothing else to do and assumed that because I was looking a bit lost that I was probably pissed.

Don't look like a chav. That's how not to get pulled over.

I wonder if this would be said with so much conviction if the OP's boyfriend was a black man.

yeah. it would. i wondered how long it would take until someone mentioned race, but i'm not one to shy away from my opinions. statistical facts are facts. **** being p.c.

( your parents let you drive their Jag at 18? lord. )

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the actually issue is being looked at here. How many of you guys have had over 25 stops.. for no apparent reason, been followed around for 20 minutes in the space of 12 months?

There are loads of young people driving expensive cars that have not had to go through such an ordeal.

Whoever made the comment about it being 5 mins, well to that i say. 1. usually it takes more than 5 mins as these officers are always trying to find something to pin on my bf. 2. 5 mis x 25 is a lot of unnecessary minutes wasted and 3. the duration of the search is irrelevant its the reason and principle behind it.

The question that I originally posed was whether in such circumstances, are you required or could you request a written reason for the search? B/ c all of these could make a case in itself.

Another thing that comes to mind, 2 weekends ago, my bf was outside rooting for something in his boot, 2 PC officers drove past, turn around in the road, and asked what he was doing, and who's car it was blah blah its so pathetic. WHAT, CAN SOMEONE NOT LOOK FOR SOMETHING IN THEIR BOOT!!!!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.