Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I ran a red light (unintentionally) and noticed a flash. Worse case scenario? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Today, around 7:30pm I ran a red light in the Knightsbridge/Kensington area in London. I don't know the exact road but it was a large road with 4 lanes. It's an area I'm unfamiliar and have never driven in before. I was approaching the light at 30mph (the speed limit) and looked down for a second at my sat nav. In doing so, I lost concentration for a moment and when I looked back up, the light had turned amber and I just kept going. The light turned red a second or two before I had passed it and when I did, I saw a flash behind me. I'm naturally not 100% sure whether the flash was for me or someone else as I did see speed cameras in the area so it could have been that.

Looking back, I will put my hand up and say I made a mistake and going forward, will try and learn from it. But it is what it is. I've done some research and it looks like the standard fine is £60 which I am fine with. What I am worried about though is getting 3 points on my licence.

I started driving in Feb 2013 and have been with the same insurer and have had no accidents thus far. My renewal premium in Feb 2014 was about £500 with the 1 year No Claims Bonus. So my question now is, say in the worse case scenario, I get a letter saying I've got a fine and 3 points on my license, how is this likely to affect my insurance come Feb 2015?

Thanks

Edit: I'm a 20 y.o male. Car is an 2002 Ford Focus.

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't affect it too much. Just don't expect it to go too far below £500.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 27, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.