Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Looking to buy my first DSLR
    Looking to spend less than £300- should be manageable with the sales hopefully. Maximum of £400.

Was looking at the Nikon D60 off Amazon- good or no? (£250 ish)

Any recommendations or advice welcome please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planckton)
    Looking to spend less than £300- should be manageable with the sales hopefully. Maximum of £400.

Have a look into either the Nikon D3200 or Canon 1200D

Both are under £300 and come with a lens however they're the entry level models with basic features (maybe this is a good thing if you're just starting out). I think at Jessops they offer bundles with multiple lenses so this might be a good selling point : http://www.jessops.com/cameras/digital-slr-cameras

I use a Canon so my opinion might be slightly biased

ReputationRep:
    My first dslr is a canon 600d which is serving me very well so far. It's perhaps a bit beyond your budget but it's an investment which will last for many years so if you can stretch your budget then I would suggest doing so. Once you have a decent camera you can gradually acquire a lovely lens collection which will see you through many situations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:

The Nikon D60 is about 6 years old now, it's generally going to be outdone by newer cameras that sit at lower points in the product line up than the D60 once did :yep:

As mentioned above, The Nikon D3200 and 1200D are both very solid entry level cameras. For under £400 there's also the Canon 100D and Pentax K-500. All of these cameras will give you the core features you'd expect from a DSLR- great image quality, full manual controls, interchangeable lenses etc, but each will have their own unique advantages and disadvantages (although the 1200D is pretty much inferior to the 1200D is every aspect- it's a very logical step up the line). If you google "[camera A] vs [camera b] snapsort" you'll get an in depth breakdown of the differences between the two cameras. You can also shop for used/refurbished cameras and get beefier cameras for your money, if that interests you.

Going into a camera store and trying them all out would be a good idea, as ergonomics/handling and interface can be a big factor in which camera you like best- there's no point getting a camera then not using it if you don't like how it feels and operates!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TajwarC)
    Have a look into either the Nikon D3200 or Canon 1200D

Both are under £300 and come with a lens however they're the entry level models with basic features (maybe this is a good thing if you're just starting out). I think at Jessops they offer bundles with multiple lenses so this might be a good selling point : http://www.jessops.com/cameras/digital-slr-cameras

I use a Canon so my opinion might be slightly biased

(Original post by Manitude)
    My first dslr is a canon 600d which is serving me very well so far. It's perhaps a bit beyond your budget but it's an investment which will last for many years so if you can stretch your budget then I would suggest doing so. Once you have a decent camera you can gradually acquire a lovely lens collection which will see you through many situations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Between the Canon 600d and the Nikon D3200 which one would you choose?

ReputationRep:
    600D, although it is down to preference. They're both good bodies. I actually made this choice 2 years ago although it was between the 650D and D3200. Although the D3200 has more megapixels (you'll soon learn that more megapixels isn't always better) I just preferred the Canon, its interface was easy to use and it had the swivel screen. My recommendation (as mentioned above) is to actually go to a store and pick them up and chose which one feels better, even if you don't buy it from there. You'll be using it for a couple years so it's best to try it out first in my opinion
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    They're very similar, and you'll find the big splitting factor between which one people say to go for is based on their own brand preference :yep: the swivelling screen on the 600D is largest point of difference, however I agree with TajwarC that going and trying them out (you're unlikely to find a 600D in a camera store, unless they deal in second hand stuff, but trying a 700D will give you a good idea of what to expect as the two are externally practically identical) for yourself. At this low price point and as a beginner it really is among the most important things to consider.

ReputationRep:

I'd recommend that you get a canon eos rather than any Nikon as you can get older canons cheaper and the newest lenses are still compatible so if you get into photography you could keep the old camera and simply buy new lenses whereas with Nikon the lenses are in generations so the newest lens wouldn't work with the wrong generation camera so if you wanted to get better equipment you'd have to buy a new camera. Canon is also a lot more user friendly I have a canon it also doesn't make that god awful synthetic shutter sound that a Nikon makes but that's just me being fussy. I apologise for the lack of punctuation I kind of just typed as I thought hopefully it makes sense, feel free to ask me if you have any more questions on cameras I'm not any kind of expert but I like to think I have enough knowledge to be helpful aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TajwarC)
    600D, although it is down to preference. They're both good bodies. I actually made this choice 2 years ago although it was between the 650D and D3200. Although the D3200 has more megapixels (you'll soon learn that more megapixels isn't always better) I just preferred the Canon, its interface was easy to use and it had the swivel screen. My recommendation (as mentioned above) is to actually go to a store and pick them up and chose which one feels better, even if you don't buy it from there. You'll be using it for a couple years so it's best to try it out first in my opinion

(Original post by Gofre)
    They're very similar, and you'll find the big splitting factor between which one people say to go for is based on their own brand preference :yep: the swivelling screen on the 600D is largest point of difference, however I agree with TajwarC that going and trying them out (you're unlikely to find a 600D in a camera store, unless they deal in second hand stuff, but trying a 700D will give you a good idea of what to expect as the two are externally practically identical) for yourself. At this low price point and as a beginner it really is among the most important things to consider.

(Original post by Chyanna106)
    I'd recommend that you get a canon eos rather than any Nikon as you can get older canons cheaper and the newest lenses are still compatible so if you get into photography you could keep the old camera and simply buy new lenses whereas with Nikon the lenses are in generations so the newest lens wouldn't work with the wrong generation camera so if you wanted to get better equipment you'd have to buy a new camera. Canon is also a lot more user friendly I have a canon it also doesn't make that god awful synthetic shutter sound that a Nikon makes but that's just me being fussy. I apologise for the lack of punctuation I kind of just typed as I thought hopefully it makes sense, feel free to ask me if you have any more questions on cameras I'm not any kind of expert but I like to think I have enough knowledge to be helpful aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you guys this has been really helpful!!

ReputationRep:
    For my first dslr I reaaaally really want the canon t3i. I'm not sure how much it is in pounds, probably slightly over the budget, but still cheaper and better than others

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If I were to chose again I think I'd still go for the Canon. Partially for the flip out screen and partially for the larger (I think) range of compatible lenses. The flip out screen sounds like a gimmick but I really appreciate not having to touch the screen with my nose when taking normal photos and I appreciate being able to easily see the setting and previews when using a tripod. Most Canon DSLRs are compatible with all Canon EOS lenses and many more non-Canon lenses which gives you a great choice when you want to get new glassware. To me, Nikon feels a bit obscure and not as many manufacturers seem to want to build lenses which fit on Nikon bodies. My experience so far is that the lenses are generally more important than the body. I recently bought a so-called "prime lens" which has a fixed focal length and the image quality is significantly better than a zoom kit lens set to the same focal length. I don't consider myself a proficient photographer but the images are so much sharper that you don't need to be an expert to see the difference.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    If I were to chose again I think I'd still go for the Canon. Partially for the flip out screen and partially for the larger (I think) range of compatible lenses. The flip out screen sounds like a gimmick but I really appreciate not having to touch the screen with my nose when taking normal photos and I appreciate being able to easily see the setting and previews when using a tripod. Most Canon DSLRs are compatible with all Canon EOS lenses and many more non-Canon lenses which gives you a great choice when you want to get new glassware. To me, Nikon feels a bit obscure and not as many manufacturers seem to want to build lenses which fit on Nikon bodies. My experience so far is that the lenses are generally more important than the body. I recently bought a so-called "prime lens" which has a fixed focal length and the image quality is significantly better than a zoom kit lens set to the same focal length. I don't consider myself a proficient photographer but the images are so much sharper that you don't need to be an expert to see the difference.
    According the Snapsort, Nikon actually have a handful more lenses than Canon but considering both have about 200 for their respective mounts and the difference is supposedly about 6 I don't think it's a major issue for either system :yep: Where I personally think Canon wins is that their selection of low cost lenses which are within reach and will appeal to amateurs is larger and still high quality- there's the 50mm 1.8 as the only first party lens from virtually any brand to retail for under £100 (we were also talking in the PhotoSoc thread about the new 50mm 1.8 from third party manufacturer Yongnuo that's looking to be insane value for £32, anyone can pick one up!) with the equivalent Nikon primes selling for around £130, their 10-18 ultra wide is great and about £80 cheaper than the cheapest one available for Nikon from Sigma, both have great 55-250/300mm telephotos for under £200 but Canon's is again cheaper. So assembling a basic set of kit/ultra wide/tele/prime is a bit easier for Canon, or even if you just want an extra lens it's probably going to end up being cheaper

ReputationRep:
    x

(Original post by Gofre)
    x
    Thank you

ReputationRep:

My first DSLR was a Nikon D3200 and I absolutely loved it. At that time I got it for £375 used, but since the D3300 is out now, you should be able to find a used one within your budget from eBay

ReputationRep:
    My first was a Nikon D3100 and have been using it for about 3 years now. I don't remember spending more than £400 on the starter kit. When you want to buy more lenses just get Sigma ones, much cheaper and are really good. It depends on whether you want to buy more lenses when you first get the camera or if you want to practice using the 18-55 that comes with the kit first I guess. Personally don't see much difference if you get Nikon or Canon since its entry level.

ReputationRep:

I have the nikon d3200 plus a 55mm to 300mm lens for about £380 from Jessops and find it great. On the Nikon vs canon front just go with what is most comfy for you !

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.