Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Hair falling out! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Kind of self explanatory really. My hair is falling out quite a lot and has thinned considerably over the last few years. It's also really dry and frizzy at the moment. Every time I run a hand through my hair, so much comes out! Not to mention when I brush it... I've heard that it can be due to stress but this explanation doesn't seem to fit what has happened to me. Has anyone else experienced this / any ideas of how to combat it? I'd really like to get it sorted and go back to having the thick and glossy hair that I used to have instead of this dull, falling out, grossness.

ReputationRep:
    Hey please check your iron levels they might be the cause. They were in my case

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsandaLFC)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, this is very likely I think, due in part to my poor University diet...!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree with AsandaLFC. I had the same problem and it was because my iron levels had plummeted (yes they were that low). It may also be worth discussing a thyroid test with your GP if you have noticed any other symptoms, because they had my thyroid tested too and I have hair thinning, weight gain and a number of other symptoms. I found taking high potency biotin helps, but of course, discuss everything with your GP

ReputationRep:
    try scalp massage with coconut oil You could also add some rosemary essential oil to stimulate the hair follicles even more. The coconut oil with also nourish your hair and make it soft and shiny again.
    If you are going to try it use a good coconut oil and make sure you aren't allergic to it
    (Original post by fabulasmic)
    Thank you, this is very likely I think, due in part to my poor University diet...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsandaLFC)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Me too. My hair begun to thin quite drastically at the start of this year, and a blood test about a month ago from told me my iron levels were very low. I am now on iron supplements, and new bristles are growing from my scalp. First thing to do is consult your doctor- make sure everything is in working order.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 29, 2014
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.