Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Fox hunting to be legalised if Tories win 2015 General Election Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Telegraph)
    The Conservatives will try to lift the fox hunting ban if the party wins May’s general election.

The party will offer a free vote in the next Parliament to legalise hunting if the party wins in May, The Telegraph can disclose.

The news has emerged on Boxing Day, traditionally the biggest day of the hunting calendar when thousands of supporters turn out to watch their local hunts.

The party’s manifesto is set to say that the Hunting Act is wrong-headed and a future Tory government would try to repeal it.

The decision will be on a free vote of MPs in the House of Commons, echoing the manifesto commitments in 2005 and 2010, and has been agreed with Oliver Letwin, the Cabinet Office minister who is drawing up the manifesto.

The Hunting Act 2004, which prohibits the pursuit with hounds of various wild mammals in England and Wales, came into force under Labour in February 2005. The pursuit of foxes with hounds was banned in Scotland in 2003.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/gene...-election.html

What do people think about this then? Personally I see no reason to legalise fox hunting. What is there to be gained?

ReputationRep:
    I don't really care tbh they're just animals and we're superior to them.

Hunting is a well know sport foxes are just the prey big deal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reluire)
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/gene...-election.html

What do people think about this then? Personally I see no reason to legalise fox hunting. What is there to be gained?
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

"Were not an elitist party"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ridwan12)

They want to repeal a law that specifically (and illogically) hurts one weak minority social group; at worst this makes them anti-anti-elitist, but I think that group is more country dwellers than elites.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Foxes are big ginger rats. As long as there is some form of moderation, I don't care if it is legalized.

Hardly the most important point in their manifesto.

ReputationRep:

What's elitist about fox hunting? That's like calling LARPing elitist.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    They want to repeal a law that specifically (and illogically) hurts one weak minority social group; at worst this makes them anti-anti-elitist, but I think that group is more country dwellers than elites.
    Personally I don't see why animal welfare should be sacrificed just to make certain people's lives a little easier.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I don't see why animal welfare should be sacrificed just to make certain people's lives a little easier.
    You already answered your question... They're animals they mean nothing but food and pleasure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    What's elitist about fox hunting? That's like calling LARPing elitist.
    Don't be so foolish...

Fox hunting with dogs on a horse in the countryside is elitist and cruel. How many average earning UK citizens actually even took part in this.

Rich white ,(even though race has nothing to do with it, but is usually a component of the elitie), men on horse.................

Either way it's not something the british public want:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...n-9025347.html

I can honestly say this is the most worthless issue I've ever had heard of. I couldn't give two ****s about it either way.

ReputationRep:
    A perfectly respectable position, in principle. But is it really one most anti-hunters hold?

Huge numbers of animals are killed in the farming industry because people enjoy the taste of meat, something which must anti-hunters don't propose to ban. So if wanting to ban hunting is not based in a belief that killing animals for human pleasure is immoral in general, what's motivating them? I suggest it's a dislike for a rich/country/upper class people; in other words, they want to persecute a weak minority.

I'd draw an analogy with people who want to ban Halal meat. They argue that they want to ban it because of animal welfare concerns but really they just don't like muslims.

ReputationRep:
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOL sure :rolleyes:.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be so foolish...

Fox hunting with dogs on a horse in the countryside is elitist and cruel. How many average earning UK citizens actually even took part in this.

Rich white ,(even though race has nothing to do with it, but is usually a component of the elitie), men on horse.................
    So by your logic, something done by rich white people is inherently wrong? What's next, banning yacht owning?

If that's your philosophy on life, can't you see it as inherently intolerant - attacking a group, admittedly a highly privileged group, by banning something that some of them like to do?

And that's entirely separate from the social and practical function of hunting with dogs to control the fox population. On an animal welfare point of view, the debate on its utility remains open, but it certainly wasn't banned out of concern for the fox but simply to **** a snook at a perceived unpopular social class. That's bad policy.

Either way it's not something the british public want:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...n-9025347.html
    Well, that's by the by; Parliament is what decides policy and if the Tories go into the election proposing a vote on whether or not to keep it, then that's entirely fair.

ReputationRep:
    Wont happen. They said the last thing last time, didn't happen.

This is one of a number of issues that highlights why UK politics is, frankly, a colossal waste of time and money.

ReputationRep:
    To attempt to portray this horrific violent blood sport as anything other is disgusting.

I can't see the ban being repelled. Thankfully. I just wish they would start enforcing it in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    I have never understood the desire to hunt for sport. However, I do not believe banning fox hunting in the first place was the correct action to take.

ReputationRep:
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOL sure :rolleyes:.
    Nice try, but I'm still unconvinced.

ReputationRep:
    Well since no one enforces the current law what difference will it make?

Obviously I am against the traditional blood sport of fox hunting. It is no better than bull fighting. Just because it is carried out by a bunch of upper lipped toffs deosn't make it any less barbaric. They are scum that are no better than chavs that strap fireworks on cats. Honeslty, when people mindless make an animal suffer in inventive cruel ways I really get the urge to claw out their eyes and rip there limbs off. See how they like it.

If foxes are a problem (and this can only be answered by impartial scientists) then shoot them or something else more humane.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittr n swt)
    You already answered your question... They're animals they mean nothing but food and pleasure
    Can't say I agree with you.

A perfectly respectable position, in principle. But is it really one most anti-hunters hold?

Huge numbers of animals are killed in the farming industry because people enjoy the taste of meat, something which must anti-hunters don't propose to ban. So if wanting to ban hunting is not based in a belief that killing animals for human pleasure is immoral in general, what's motivating them? I suggest it's a dislike for a rich/country/upper class people; in other words, they want to persecute a weak minority.

I'd draw an analogy with people who want to ban Halal meat. They argue that they want to ban it because of animal welfare concerns but really they just don't like muslims.
    The farming industry provides food, whereas fox hunting doesn't. The remains of foxes will just be incinerated or dumped. If there isn't a constructive reason to hunt an animal, like to provide food for example, then that is what makes hunting wrong in my opinion.

I would also have to disagree fundamentally with your last point. I am against the production of halal meat, but have no issue with Islam or Muslims at all, besides the extremists minority of course.

ReputationRep:
    The farming industry provides food, whereas fox hunting doesn't. The remains of foxes will just be incinerated or dumped. If there isn't a constructive reason to hunt an animal, like to provide food for example, then that is what makes hunting wrong in my opinion.
    The choice isn't between having meat and having no food. If we banned meat, no one would starve. People want meat because they enjoy the taste and the texture and the wider variety of dishes it makes possible. There's also an element of tradition, e.g. Sunday Roast, turkey at Christmas, etc.

Very well. Some people enjoy a tradition of killing foxes. What's the difference, other than that you don't like the fox people, but do like the Christmas turkey people?

I would also have to disagree fundamentally with your last point. I am against the production of halal meat, but have no issue with Islam or Muslims at all, besides the extremists minority of course.
    I'm not going to dispute your beliefs with you, and I accept there are people who are sincerely (although perhaps not many consistently) opposed to halal meat production on animal welfare grounds. There is also a large number of people who just want a stick they can use to beat muslims with.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.