Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Fox hunting to be legalised if Tories win 2015 General Election Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snikutsmullac)
    I don't think an animal should die just so a minority of society can take part in a "sport".
    It is already happening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reluire)
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/gene...-election.html

What do people think about this then? Personally I see no reason to legalise fox hunting. What is there to be gained?

To be honest, I think that hunting should be an act that is stamped out completely. But we do have bigger fish to fry then a law being passed on killing foxes for the sake of a new fur scarf.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucythellama)
    To be honest, I think that hunting should be an act that is stamped out completely. But we do have bigger fish to fry then a law being passed on killing foxes for the sake of a new fur scarf.
    Wut?

ReputationRep:
    It's worthless murder. That's the end of it. They don't use the foxes for meat, they simply kill for pleasure. That is despicable and one can only hope that the Tories don't win so they can't legalise this torture.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainshadow)
    It's worthless murder.
    "Foxes are people too"?
    Get off your high horse

That's the end of it. They don't use the foxes for meat, they simply kill for pleasure. That is despicable and one can only hope that the Tories don't win so they can't legalise this torture.
    Are you another one of these deleuded people that thinks that the fox will walk away unharmed if they can't be swiftly killed by a dog? Or do you need telling about what happens instead?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackMagicV)
    Whilst, as I said, I am anti-hunt, there is a reason why there is a season. From mid-August to early October, there's cubbing, which I think is where they just exercise the hounds and get them used to following a trail, they don't usually kill anything on those meets. They wait until the foxes have matured before they start hunting to kill (usually from mid-October), then they stop when breeding starts (mid-February).

Shooting/trapping is all well and good, however the fox bleeds to death over the course of several hours, which to my mind is worse than having its trail pursued and then being killed relatively swiftly. It doesn't make it any less brutal or barbaric, but it is marginally more humane than shooting or trapping. There is also an element of survival of the fittest as, prior to the ban, a hunt would probably kill 2-3 foxes per season (if I recall correctly, hunt sabs are actually responsible for more animal deaths, which would not surprise me at all). As a vegetarian, I can't really condone it and would like there to be another way, but there are problems with all of the current methods.

As a country dweller, I do acknowledge that there does need to be pest control, as farmers do rather depend on their livestock and my grandpa has to go to ridiculous lengths to keep the chickens from death, although that's in a slightly more urbanised area and is, in part, due to how people entice foxes into their gardens to feed them, which makes them bolder and therefore more likely to go into another person's garden and kill chickens or, in very rare cases (6 in the last decade, compared with 10000/annum for dogs), attack small children. In more rural areas, they are less bold, but they do attack livestock, which means that the number of foxes unfortunately needs regulating.
    Use a bigger gun then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    They want to repeal a law that specifically (and illogically) hurts one weak minority social group; at worst this makes them anti-anti-elitist, but I think that group is more country dwellers than elites.
    rich farmers = weak?

lol no

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant.

It is a ridiculous ban fuelled by anti-'Toff' nonsense, I'd be glad to see it go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    "Foxes are people too"?
    Get off your high horse

Are you another one of these deleuded people that thinks that the fox will walk away unharmed if they can't be swiftly killed by a dog? Or do you need telling about what happens instead?
    How dare you think that a fox being killed is acceptable--it's disgusting. Bottom line: just don't kill foxes. No, foxes aren't people, but they have exactly the same claim to life as a human does. A selfish human taking away that life purely for a few minutes of glee is abysmal.

I don't care what happens to the fox if it can't be killed by a dog, because it should not be killed by a dog, or a human, in the first place. It's simple compassion. Anyone who says otherwise, I'm afraid, is probably a sociopath.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    How dare you think that a fox being killed is acceptable--it's disgusting. Bottom line: just don't kill foxes. No, foxes aren't people, but they have exactly the same claim to life as a human does. A selfish human taking away that life purely for a few minutes of glee is abysmal.

I don't care what happens to the fox if it can't be killed by a dog, because it should not be killed by a dog, or a human, in the first place. It's simple compassion. Anyone who says otherwise, I'm afraid, is probably a sociopath.
    As I said to viddy, I assume you live in a city?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reluire)
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/gene...-election.html

What do people think about this then? Personally I see no reason to legalise fox hunting. What is there to be gained?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confusedbrit)
    rich farmers = weak?

lol no
    If you honestly believe it's only rich landowners who are the interested parties in this then it's quite clear you haven't got a single clue what you're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    As I said to viddy, I assume you live in a city?
    No. I live in a village in the middle of the countryside. Why does where I live make any difference? Murder is murder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    If you honestly believe it's only rich landowners who are the interested parties in this then it's quite clear you haven't got a single clue what you're talking about.
    you'd be right on the money there

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't think they could justify doing that. It's just a desperate attempt to claw back some of the old boys' club back from UKIP.
    Either way they'd be bonkers to think that would be a good idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Get in
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    No. I live in a village in the middle of the countryside. Why does where I live make any difference? Murder is murder.
    When did I say murder wasn't murder? Foxes aren't people.

ReputationRep:
    Regardless of where you live, you clearly have no knowledge of why foxes need controlling in the first place. I'm anti-hunt, but I actually take the time to educate myself about why foxes are killed and it's not as simplistic as you think.

ReputationRep:
    When did I say murder wasn't murder? Foxes aren't people.
    Just because foxes aren't people doesn't mean you can murder them???

(Original post by BlackMagicV)
    Regardless of where you live, you clearly have no knowledge of why foxes need controlling in the first place. I'm anti-hunt, but I actually take the time to educate myself about why foxes are killed and it's not as simplistic as you think.
    Why are foxes killed then? I'm interested.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Just because foxes aren't people doesn't mean you can murder them???
    No, it means you cannot murder them.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.