Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Fox hunting to be legalised if Tories win 2015 General Election Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snikutsmullac)
    This.
    Actually, by many reckonings the death tends to be sudden. Compared to being shot, maimed, poisoned or trapped, certainly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    Consenting adult humans.
    You've just contradicted your own argument. The fox doesn't consent to be part of a 'sport'.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    They both involve the slow, painful death of an animal.
    (Original post by snikutsmullac)
    This.
    If the death is slow and painful in hunting there is something wrong with the dog, the kills are generally quick and, for all intents and purposes, painless.
    And would you care to tell me what reason there is to legalise dog fighting, other than entertainment?
    Then again, no matter how many times you're told I guess neither of you accept that whether killed by a dog, a rifle, or poison, the foxes are going to be killed regardless.

ReputationRep:
    You've just contradicted your own argument. The fox doesn't consent to be part of a 'sport'.
    Does a cow consent to be killed for food? Anyway, if you persuaded me of a contradiction, I'd freely support boxing being banned. I remain unconvinced that fox hunting being banned has been a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    Does a cow consent to be killed for food?
    That's not my point. You're evading my comparison between it and dog fighting.

ReputationRep:
    That's not my point. You're evading my comparison between it and dog fighting.
    Well then, let's ban boxing. Can we talk about fox hunting some more now?

ReputationRep:
    Well then, let's ban boxing. Can we talk about fox hunting some more now?
    Wtf are you talking about? I said dogfighting. Your argument was that foxhunting differed from dogfighting. You then said that boxing was consenting adults, I said that like the dog, the fox didn't consent, and you've now diverted everything. How does dogfighting morally differ from foxhunting?

ReputationRep:
    Wtf are you talking about? I said dogfighting. Your argument was that foxhunting differed from dogfighting. You then said that boxing was consenting adults, I said that like the dog, the fox didn't consent, and you've now diverted everything. How does dogfighting morally differ from foxhunting?
    Because as I said, fox hunting has a community foxhunting for pest control and protection of livestock which in many ways is less cruel than shooting, poisoning, trapping or other kinds of protection. So I cannot accept a comparison between that and spectator sports such as boxing and dog fighting.

ReputationRep:
    Because as I said, fox hunting has a community foxhunting for pest control and protection of livestock which in many ways is less cruel than shooting, poisoning, trapping or other kinds of protection. So I cannot accept a comparison between that and spectator sports such as boxing and dog fighting.
    The others have community. But nevertheless, in what ways is it less cruel than shooting?

ReputationRep:
    The others have community. But nevertheless, in what ways is it less cruel than shooting?
    Sorry, missed a word in my post - I meant to say 'communal function'

Not all farmers are crack shots and more often than not will maim, not kill.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Would you rather be shot in the stomach and left to die or have your neck broken?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not an expert on these kinds of things but guns don't necessarily kill instantly. If you've ever seen videos of dogs being shot, it's fairly clear that you can shoot multiple times in different places without killing them. That sounds pretty uncomfortable. I'd guess the same thing applies to foxes, I dunno.

Then again, I'm not sure how often fox hunts kill quickly either.

ReputationRep:
    Sure there is, if it's a side-effect of performing a public good.

And honestly, you can't regulate whether someone enjoys performing a particular task or not.

The problem with your statement is that it suggests you would be fine with foxes being hunted by being 'scared to death' if it were done by vegans on quad bikes.
    You're being ridiculous now.

Breeding foxes to hunt them performs a public good? Some of them were bred specifically for the hunt.

Foxes are labelled as pests to farmers, but humans are pests on the entire animal kingdom. Selfish and arrogant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyking)

Breeding foxes to hunt them performs a public good? Some of them were bred specifically for the hunt.

Foxes are labelled as pests to farmers, but humans are pests on the entire animal kingdom. Selfish and arrogant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ummmm?
    Do you have a source for this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyking)

I never said breeding them was. The hunt, however, performed a social good when it controlled the fox population. Breeding of foxes was sporadic and not a routine practice.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AtP7au_Q9w

ReputationRep:
    I don't really think that this should be what the conservatives emphasised in their list of policies should they win the election, otherwise whatever else they plan to do would be pretty crappy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Ummmm?
    Do you have a source for this?
    This, given that the only 'evidence' I have seen has come from hunt sabs and given what they do, I wouldn't trust them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BitWindy)
    It's just the same as shooting them if you're concerned with "innocence", and no one is going to ban that.

If the method is what irks you, then perhaps we'd ought to throw cats in prison for mauling pigeons, or shoot hawks for murdering innocent rabbits.

It is justified, so far as liberty goes, because it harms no people. If you disagree with it ethically then that's something else entirely.
    That's ridiculous. Hawks and cats have no other way to kill their prey- not that I think that is at all relevant.
    I just fail to see a point in putting an animal through that for no justifiable reason.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Harold)
    That's ridiculous. Hawks and cats have no other way to kill their prey- not that I think that is at all relevant.
    I just fail to see a point in putting an animal through that for no justifiable reason.
    I guess you're also going to be one of these people for which there is no justifiable reason, since you seem to ignore the reasons for doing it?

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.