Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Fox hunting to be legalised if Tories win 2015 General Election Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ridwan12)
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

"Were not an elitist party"
    Labour hate Britain and its traditions and so does Ed Miliband.
    Thus fox hunting had to go under those 13 years of teeth pulling known as the Labour Government.

People hate elites because they are everything Labour hate too

independent
    go-getting
    not reliant on government
    not waiting for the government to help me
    dare I say, superior

These people do not fit Labour's vision of handout , " government is your surrogate father " Britain.

I am damm happy we are run by elites who went to Eton, and so are some poor people.
    They realise it is not poor people who help the poor, it is the rich who show them the way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ridwan12)
    Don't be so foolish...

Fox hunting with dogs on a horse in the countryside is elitist and cruel. How many average earning UK citizens actually even took part in this.

Rich white ,(even though race has nothing to do with it, but is usually a component of the elitie), men on horse.................

Either way it's not something the british public want:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...n-9025347.html

More and more of the working class Conservative voters have had a realisation - it IS the rich elites who show the poor how to better themselves and show them the path of improvement, and they are damm thankful they are running the country.

Not labour - who want to ferment jealousy and hatred towards the rich
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reluire)
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/gene...-election.html

What do people think about this then? Personally I see no reason to legalise fox hunting. What is there to be gained?
    While I have no objection to shooting an animal for food I don't agree with allowing fox hunting which is often simply for pleasure, especially with hounds. I also have little desire to cull deer or foxes.

With that being said its such a minor issue that I'd devolve it to local authorities. If the electorate wants them to waste money enforcing a ban then so be it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)
    1) Originally, the fox hunting ban was introduced to stop the house of commons discussing the Iraq War.

They discussed fox hunting endlessly instead.
    I'm sorry, but putting aside what else I've said in this thread, this right here is complete and total crud. The Commons debated the Iraq War for days and had a vote on it. To suggest fox hunting legislation was a cynical ploy to crowd it out is laughable.

5) the elites are elite because they worked damm hard and studied damm hard and deserve the fruits of their work.
    Labour want to hand it out instead and de-motivate people from doing the above.
    Again, utter crud. Some at the top have earned their position, true, but a great deal of others have inherited it and wield influence unearned. Likewise, many poor and dispossessed are there in spite of the effort they have put in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    While I have no objection to shooting an animal for food I don't agree with allowing fox hunting which is often simply for pleasure, especially with hounds. I also have little desire to cull deer or foxes.
    What do you think of falconry or fishing?

ReputationRep:
    Fox hunting isn't a political issue and should have never been made into one. As hunting with hounds in some areas is a huge social/community event in which most of the community takes part. If hunting is to end then it should be done by people choosing not taking part, as a result will make the hunts unable to survive. Therefore, the current act in place should repealed. However, its unlikely to be taken off the political agenda now , so in its place there should a licensing system focussing on ensure the welfare of the hounds and requiring the hunts to kill the fox in as humane away as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reluire)
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/gene...-election.html

What do people think about this then? Personally I see no reason to legalise fox hunting. What is there to be gained?
    A boost to the rural economy.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    What do you think of falconry or fishing?
    Wasn't aware people used Falcon's for anything other than being a pet essentially. No objection to people owning animals.

No objection to fishing for food or sport. My objection is simply to killing them for pleasure.

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't aware people used Falcon's for anything other than being a pet essentially. No objection to people owning animals.
    Falconry is the hunting of rodents and vermin by means of a trained bird of prey.

No objection to fishing for food or sport. My objection is simply to killing them for pleasure.
    And isn't 'sport' pleasure?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The banning in the first place was rediculous, it way ''' this small group doesn't like what that small group is doing, our party works/will work in Opposition on the basis of politics of envy; the latter group's generally well off and so disliked by our supporters, bonus, and mostly vote for another party, so no loss there. Let's do this!''

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Falconry is the hunting of rodents and vermin by means of a trained bird of prey.

And isn't 'sport' pleasure?
    Most fish don't die. You put them in the net until the match is over then let them go.

ReputationRep:
    Most fish don't die. You put them in the net until the match is over then let them go.
    But there's still a great deal of distress and pain for them in the duration, no? And what about fish that is killed for sport? Is it only acceptable when they are killed for a purpose?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    But there's still a great deal of distress and pain for them in the duration, no? And what about fish that is killed for sport? Is it only acceptable when they are killed for a purpose?
    Exactly, for me it all comes down to purpose. The fish may not like being trapped but they'll live.

ReputationRep:
    it shouldn't be legal in my opinion - "don't cause meaningless pain to harmless animals" is a fairly obvious rule in a civilised country
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippity.doodah)
    it shouldn't be legal in my opinion - "don't cause meaningless pain to harmless animals" is a fairly obvious rule in a civilised country
    It's hardly meaningless, it's generating sport from a necessary task. If they aren't ripped apart by dogs they will just be lured out of their den thinking they've getting sex and are shot, not even necessarily a quick death. You also get a much better survival of the fittest effect when they ran away from hunters

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    It's hardly meaningless, it's generating sport from a necessary task. If they aren't ripped apart by dogs they will just be lured out of their den thinking they've getting sex and are shot, not even necessarily a quick death. You also get a much better survival of the fittest effect when they ran away from hunters

Posted from TSR Mobile
    the difference between killing for food and fox hunting is that, at least I'm heavily assuming here, that the requirement for animal slaughter is that it is humane, and as painless as possible. and obviously it is a necessity to a large degree for humans to consume meat for good health. with regards to "fox hunting", it's not humane at all. it's not a one-hit death, and the pain lasts a long time even after dismemberments. also, sport does not make something necessary - I could make rape necessity based on me saying it's a sport, so, obviously, this logic is silly. humane-ness must be the divining line between good and bad in terms of animal killing - if we're allowed to inflict infinite/boundless pain upon animals, why is it, then, illegal to have sex with animals? why is that illegal and this hypothetically legal (post2015 under a tory government)? I'm not endorsing it, I'm simply questioning it.

ReputationRep:
    The given reasons for fix hunting had little to no reason for its original ban.

The whole ban seemed to be driven by a blind hatred of those who actually hunted for more political reasons.

Once again, they forgot about the working man and woman in the rural communities that made a good living from hunting.

People would be rather naive to think that making hunting illegal has actually stopped it. It's a bit difficult banning somebody's livelihood.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not happy with any practices or sports, whether recreational or otherwise, which cause suffering to animals. To say that it is a 'tradition' is meaningless to me and not a valid excuse for causing the death of a creature. As far as I'm concerned, just because you can doesn't mean that you should.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippity.doodah)
    the difference between killing for food and fox hunting is that
    Let's stop you right here, who said anything about the foxes being eaten after being shot? They're shot because they're a pest, not to be eaten, much like swatting a fly.

I was pointing out the thing that everybody seems to forget: the foxes will quite likely be killed anyway.

As an aside, has anybody pointed out yet that the title isn't strictly true, it's an open vote and thus will probably remain banned since I would expect most of Labour and the Lib Dems will vote against it, and then probably enough Conservatives to not get the necessary majority?

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, for me it all comes down to purpose. The fish may not like being trapped but they'll live.
    So controlling the fox population at all is a no-go? Are farmers permitted to shoot, poison, trap or otherwise exterminate foxes and other creatures that threaten their livestock and crops?

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.