Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Fox hunting to be legalised if Tories win 2015 General Election Watch

ReputationRep:
    The lives of a small number of foxes who live lives of constant stress and anxiety is not more important than hundreds of years worth of rural tradition.

I know a family who keep chickens and other animals on a small farm in Essex. The cages have routinely been broken into and the animals tortured and left to bleed to death without being eaten; it was apparent after they installed cameras that this was unfailingly the work of foxes. I live in a suburban area in Bristol and the fox population is absurd. There are a great many of them around here, they aren't afraid of us and they regularly cause mess and noise in the streets.

Restore the liberty to hunt and you give back a long rural tradition; you also keep these vicious and irksome animals from growing too fast and becoming too familiar with humans.

ReputationRep:
    I was at the hunt on boxing day and the master kept going on about this, i personally think we should just stick with drag hunting, its just as fun and way safer as you can plan a route with safe jumps/routes around for the horses etc. when its just after an animal your suddenly faced with 4' stone walls and not all horses are upto that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carstairs)
    I was at the hunt on boxing day and the master kept going on about this, i personally think we should just stick with drag hunting, its just as fun and way safer as you can plan a route with safe jumps/routes around for the horses etc. when its just after an animal your suddenly faced with 4' stone walls and not all horses are upto that
    Where was this hunt? Interesting to raise animal safety concerns in this issue but not for the foxes.

Sounds rather boring. Are there many accidents to horses on regular hunts?

ReputationRep:
    Another reason not to vote Tory at the next election.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veggiechic6)
    It's made me more likely to vote for them. I can respect a party that puts relatively unpopular things in its manifesto because it believes in them, which is more than can be said for Labour.

ReputationRep:
    So you're happy to vote labour and see the economy bomb?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    I don't know who I'm going to vote for, they all seem as bad as each other. I'm against fox hunting so I was just pointing out how I'm less likely to vote for the Tories now they're wanting to bring back hunting.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know who I'm going to vote for, they all seem as bad as each other. I'm against fox hunting so I was just pointing out how I'm less likely to vote for the Tories now they're wanting to bring back hunting.
    I think we have slightly more important things to worry about a potential open vote being allowed on something that doesn't impact the vast majority of the population.

ReputationRep:
    I think we have slightly more important things to worry about a potential open vote being allowed on something that doesn't impact the vast majority of the population.
    Everyone has their own personal vested interests and everyone is affected differently by different issues. I'm not interested in talking politics, I'm talking about the fox hunting ban, like the thread title says.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone has their own personal vested interests and everyone is affected differently by different issues. I'm not interested in talking politics, I'm talking about the fox hunting ban, like the thread title says.
    Agree fully.

Vote for who you want to vote for.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birkenhead)
    Where was this hunt? Interesting to raise animal safety concerns in this issue but not for the foxes.

Sounds rather boring. Are there many accidents to horses on regular hunts?
    It's also the safety of the rider, also consider that that horse could be worth quite a bit, the fox isn't.

ReputationRep:
    Yuck.

ReputationRep:
    As if we needed another.

ReputationRep:
    The notion that it's better to shoot foxes instead of hunting them with dogs is ridiculous. It's far more humane to have a dog kill them quickly. Most people against fox hunting are from urban area's and don't really understand what foxes are capable of other than raiding bins and being a minor annoyance. Although some people hunting foxes are elite upper-classes hunting purely for sport and fun (which personally I'm kind of against, but I'm not too bothered), many people in the countryside own horses who aren't elite or rich, and foxes kill their livestock (especially chickens) for no reason, not even to eat them. They really are a pest and many people hunt them in part to get rid of them and keep the fox population low in an area. Foxes can really damage peoples livelihood if someone depends a lot on their animals. You can't just 'get a fence', foxes get through those, even electric ones. Many people I know now have to shoot foxes they see instead, and normally they miss because people can't run fast and their aim isn't perfect, so the fox spends hours bleeding, or alternatively gets caught in a trap; also bleeding to death for hours.
    But whatever, it probably won't be legalised again, it's populist to be against fox hunting because it's perceived to be a cruel elitist sport by those in urban area's, so labour and the lib dems will vote against it for support.

ReputationRep:
    It's the right thing to do. It's correcting something that was a blatant class war policy.

Personally I don't care either way about fox hunting, but if it angers the neo-Trots, I'd not only legalise hunting with hounds, but introduce tax relief on beagles and pinks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    To attempt to portray this horrific violent blood sport as anything other is disgusting.

I can't see the ban being repelled. Thankfully. I just wish they would start enforcing it in the first place.
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Well since no one enforces the current law what difference will it make?

Obviously I am against the traditional blood sport of fox hunting. It is no better than bull fighting. Just because it is carried out by a bunch of upper lipped toffs deosn't make it any less barbaric. They are scum that are no better than chavs that strap fireworks on cats. Honeslty, when people mindless make an animal suffer in inventive cruel ways I really get the urge to claw out their eyes and rip there limbs off. See how they like it.

If foxes are a problem (and this can only be answered by impartial scientists) then shoot them or something else more humane.
    I can't rep anymore but this.

I would not even class it as a sport.
    We go on hunts and my mum trains hunting horses, but there is no actual hunt involved - the hounds have a good time tracking down a trail left by man and the horses have a good time, as well as the people, and no harm done, no animals killed in a barbaric way.

If anything I would hope they would lose voters over such an appalling decision.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippity.doodah)
    1) I made a logical distinction because killing for food is necessary, whereas hunting *as a sport* (not as a necessary objective of getting rid of pests) is not a necessary excuse to kill. if you're going to kill a fox, do it humanely, as I suggested with the example of killing animals for food.
    You seem to be missing the point, the two options here are
    1) Hunt, have the fox mauled to death, and have people gain entertainment in doing so
    2) Have them killed by some equally barbaric methods

The choice is, in essence, you either let people derive entertainment from it, or you don't. There is no humane vs inhumane option

2) if there are empirical grounds for foxes to be culled for the purposes of pest-control, then there should be a presentation of that evidence for its legality. you can't just say "I want to kill foxes in a brutal fashion" because that's, again, unnecessary torture of innocent animals. if they need to be killed, they ought to be put down as lightly and as pain-free as possible, or else there's no line between killing animals and raping them - because, again, there's a law about that kind of thing. either we say in principle they're the same and the law on raping animals should logically be lifted, or they should both be illegal.
    See above, it's brutal vs brutal, not brutal vs humane.

If you had the choice between the following, which would you prefer:
    A) Being mauled by a tiger and killed;
    B) Having a naked [whatever you're into] make you really horny, before turning out to be a gorilla in disguise who shoots you and leaves you to bleed out?

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    You seem to be missing the point, the two options here are
    1) Hunt, have the fox mauled to death, and have people gain entertainment in doing so
    2) Have them killed by some equally barbaric methods

The choice is, in essence, you either let people derive entertainment from it, or you don't. There is no humane vs inhumane option
    I'm saying the method of having dogs rip foxes to shreds is disproportionally inhumane to the objective of simply trimming the numbers of foxes which threaten farmlands. gunshots are far more proportionate - you can shoot them and then shoot them in the head, for example. once to stop them from moving, and then to still them swiftly. or maybe something similar to that where the objective is quick death, not "fun killing, regardless of the animal's pain"

If you had the choice between the following, which would you prefer:
    A) Being mauled by a tiger and killed;
    B) Having a naked [whatever you're into] make you really horny, before turning out to be a gorilla in disguise who shoots you and leaves you to bleed out?
    ...what has this to do with what we were discussing?

ReputationRep:
    Glad to see the Tories have their finger on the pulse and are tackling the real issues the people are facing.

If you're a Tory voter, you're associating with some very questionable sorts: people whose hobby is ripping apart tiny defenceless animals for ****s and giggles.

Naked psychopathy dressed up in a veneer of concern for "tradition". They deserve to be torn apart by starving dogs themselves. You live by the sword, you die by the sword.

(Just waiting for the first idiot right-winger to bring up North Korea )

Of course, it's hardly surprising given the way the Tories have been victimising the poor. Wasn't it a UKIP fellow the other week who, supposedly hopped up on painkillers, suggested shooting peasants?

Poll
Do you prefer hot dogs or burgers?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.