Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Fox hunting to be legalised if Tories win 2015 General Election Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    It's the right thing to do. It's correcting something that was a blatant class war policy.Personally I don't care either way about fox hunting, but if it angers the neo-Trots, I'd not only legalise hunting with hounds, but introduce tax relief on beagles and pinks.
    Class war is it? So I guess we can expect to see the egalitarian Tories legalise chavs strapping fireworks to cats, as another poster mentioned.Well?Nice bit of tribalism at the end there too. So glad you seem to have your priorities right!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Glad to see the Tories have their finger on the pulse and are tackling the real issues the people are facing.

If you're a Tory voter, you're associating with some very questionable sorts: people whose hobby is ripping apart tiny defenceless animals for ****s and giggles.
    It's not targeted at the general public, if anything it's probably a slight negative from that perspective.

Most often, simplistic critiques of political strategy just expose the ignorance of the writer. This isn't about getting the country on side, it is a niche policy directly targeted at winning rural campaigning support and donations.

They deserve to be torn apart by starving dogs themselves. You live by the sword, you die by the sword.
    Peculiar that you're the only one expressing an opinion that is plainly psychopathic here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    It's not targeted at the general public, if anything it's probably a slight negative from that perspective.

Most often, simplistic critiques of political strategy just expose the ignorance of the writer. This isn't about getting the country on side, it is a niche policy directly targeted at winning rural campaigning support and donations.
    Some things should just be off the table - and they'll get justly punished for this at the election.

No better than taking money from PIE or terrorists. Still, I don’t expect Tories to be too discerning. They'd sell their own grandmothers for a few pieces of silver.

Peculiar that you're the only one expressing an opinion that is plainly psychopathic here.
    Not the point. They wouldn't be prepared to submit themselves to that, but they are prepared to do it to animals. Fox hunters are hypocrites as well as base psychopaths.

ReputationRep:
    No better than taking money from PIE or terrorists. Still, I don’t expect Tories to be too discerning. They'd sell their own grandmothers for a few pieces of silver...Fox hunters are hypocrites as well as base psychopaths.
    You're being ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birkenhead)
    You're being ridiculous.
    Yeah! A single grandparent is worth a piece of gold at the very least.

ReputationRep:
    What is wrong with fox hunting? They aren't your average choice of pet. They are vermin for these farmers, and they have a tradition in ridding them.

What I see here is a class war. Posh chap doesn't like football, but doesn't tamper with allowing the masses to enjoy it. As soon as he wishes to do something, those masses say "no no, uve got lyfe 2 gud m8. were the mob nd were knockin' u down a peg."

Typical Labour voters, honestly, and it's abhorrent. The Conservatives are right on this: removing the ban is indeed the only way to go. For all you animal rights nuts- try thinking a little deeper than "ooh, poor foxy". The welfare of foxes are not the focal point of fox hunting or the ban.

ReputationRep:
    Class war is it? So I guess we can expect to see the egalitarian Tories legalise chavs strapping fireworks to cats, as another poster mentioned.Well?Nice bit of tribalism at the end there too. So glad you seem to have your priorities right!
    Cats are not vermin.

Some so-called bloodsports are very working class pastimes. They don't get much coverage because there is no political capital in demonising the Labour voters.

Simply - I don't care about foxes because I'm not a hypocrite. As a society, we are ready to kill an unlimited number of pigeons or rats in far more cruel ways than having dogs kill them. Probably millions of them, so I don't care if a few hundred foxes meet their end in a manner no different to that of how a pack of wild dogs would kill something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Cats are not vermin.

Some so-called bloodsports are very working class pastimes. They don't get much coverage because there is no political capital in demonising the Labour voters.

Simply - I don't care about foxes because I'm not a hypocrite. As a society, we are ready to kill an unlimited number of pigeons or rats in far more cruel ways than having dogs kill them. Probably millions of them, so I don't care if a few hundred foxes meet their end in a manner no different to that of how a pack of wild dogs would kill something.

Not to forget pheasants. Pheasants are especially bread to be shot and hunted. Big money in it, too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    They can purchase electric fences and the like or use pesticides as they do for insects.
    What kind of electric fences defend against a creature that can burrow quite deep?

Don't you think if it was as simple as that, they'd have brought in such an obvious solution ages ago? What's your explanation for that?

Not being able to afford is no excuse, these people are subsidy junkies.
    Quite a bold statement. Do you actually have any conception of how difficult it is to run a farm?

ReputationRep:
    lol Conservatives. Luring the country-dwelling racists away from UKIP, I hate how politics is just about attaining votes (as obvious as that may sound) the parties resort to ridiculous measures to secure votes and that's why I'll refuse to vote Tory, Labour or UKIP (the big three as liberals will no doubt completely disintegrate in may), probably gonna vote green.

ReputationRep:
    Some things should just be off the table - and they'll get justly punished for this at the election.

No better than taking money from PIE or terrorists. Still, I don’t expect Tories to be too discerning. They'd sell their own grandmothers for a few pieces of silver.
    I don't think the aggressive anti-foxhunting movement were really voting Tory anyway, so I don't accept the suggestion they'll be "punished" in 2015 for this. Most Conservative voters, as well as the vast majority of Conservative politicians, are broadly pro-foxhunting. Yes, there are exceptions, undoubtedly, but they're not a significant number.

I suspect you're letting prejudice cloud your judgement here.

Not the point. They wouldn't be prepared to submit themselves to that, but they are prepared to do it to animals. Fox hunters are hypocrites as well as base psychopaths.
    Oh for ****'s sake. I ate a bit of cow earlier. I'm not willing to be raised in a confined field and be eaten. That does not make me a bloody hypocrite. Nor do I think I should have to make an argument to ostensibly sensible people about the obvious differences between human beings and animals.

ReputationRep:
    Hunting for sport is immoral.

It remains unsurprising that it is predominantly those on the Right and specifically in the Conservative Party who derive pleasure from killing small furry animals.

I couldn't care less why the ban was implemented - what's important is that it was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    I think that group is more country dwellers than elites.
    :rofl: Nope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    They want to repeal a law that specifically (and illogically) hurts one weak minority social group; at worst this makes them anti-anti-elitist, but I think that group is more country dwellers than elites.
    Yes, they just want to kill innocent animals for no reason - where's the harm :rolleyes:

It's hardly a "weak minority group".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Cats are not vermin.

I saw an article years ago which stated that some foxes were bred specifically for hunting. Killing vermin is not an excuse, as there are less horrendous and barbaric methods.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Some so-called bloodsports are very working class pastimes.
    Aren't they all banned?

(Original post by Clip)
    They don't get much coverage because there is no political capital in demonising the Labour voters.
    So you're saying Labour should promise a free vote on **** fighting?

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the point. This doesn't appeal to any voters who aren't confirmed tories, and may alien the floating middle class vote. Pointless policy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Nor do I think I should have to make an argument to ostensibly sensible people about the obvious
    >sensible people

Here's where you're going wrong.

ReputationRep:
    It is almost as if the Tories want to lose.

Bringing back Fox Hunting will not appease the backbenchers, nor will it win back voters from Ukip. And toffs are always going to vote Tory, the appeal of this is so marginal I really don't see why the hell they are bothering to make it an issue especially when it will put off so many urban voters from voting Conservatives. Bloody morons.

Barbaric pointless practice. Lets not discuss all the damage they cause by trespassing on others private property, and ripping apart pets and livestock. If you are going to kill an animal do it with a rifle or traps, for population control or food. Don't do it by chase a poor animal around on a horse with a pack of dogs while dressed like a prat shouting English archaisms from a time we'd rather forget.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    Aren't they all banned?
    Depends what you categorise as a bloodsport. Hunting with fewer dogs is ok as long as you end up shooting whatever it is. You can shoot foxes, deer, rabbits, hare and any number of birds.

So you're saying Labour should promise a free vote on **** fighting?
    No, but they certainly wouldn't dare go near angling. A completely different demographic profile and millions of participants.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.